• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you think about QUALIFIED CGCs

Qualified CGCs  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Qualified CGCs

17 posts in this topic

Nice greetings to everyone!

I searched for a Thread concerning QUALIFIED CGCs, but I couldn't found one.

So I thought - let's make one!

I would like to know how you think about Qualified CGCs,

when they are signed or Special Editions.

And if you have some, show us your Greenies :)

I haven't voted, as I couldn't see a slot that fit.

Basically, I don't buy them, but there's always exceptions... a rare book with a CGC technical green label. e.g they put in the Green because they didn't know what else to do with it. :insane:

If the book is rare and it's on my wantlist, how can I said no? The qualified CGC's that I'm interested in are all in the GA and GA key categories. Most are qualified because of married covers or pages and detached covers. It's not a big deal when it comes to GA, because of rarity. Which sometimes can bring the extra thousands of dollars.

Qualified labels don't bother me at all. Actually, no CGC label bothers me as long as I agree with the grade and info. I've got 4 green label slabbed books that were signed by Sam Kieth before CGC. Notes state something like: "Name written on cover in marker." No problemo.

My word. Some books you just can get as a Greenie. For example all DFEditions which are signed... even if they have COAs. For me this also doesn't matter :)

Do you have scans of your books signed by Sam Kieth?

Here's something I got done between 2 cons, WWTX and the DCC this weekend. I don't have any Qualified books, but I'll be making this my first. This variant is kind of my horde book. I've got a few graded (SS) and raw. At WWTX, I ran into a colorist named Jeff Balke who colored in sketch covers. I gave him this one and he colored in the cover. Then I took it to the DCC and had a local artist (Michael Champion) I met at WWTX sketch the back as I knew he'd be able to sketch the back cover and fill up the white space with a nice-looking sketch. Finally, I took it to Cal Slayton at the DCC for a quick colored head sketch on the front cover. I don't plan on selling the book and I got them all in person, so they're authenticated enough for me. The CGC holder will make this easy to safely display the front and back covers, and it fits well with my horde. Finally, I think the green label suits the book pretty well.

front

WorldWarHulk1SketchQualified.jpg

back

WorldWarHulk1SketchQualifiedbc.jpg

I own two greenies and I love them both: Bone #1 8.5 & Bone #2 9.4 (both with Jeff autos on the covers). If any of you have tried to collect high grade copies of early Bone issues, you know that Jeff did a LOT of signing in the mid-90s.

The Bone #1 turned green because of the sig on the cover and it was also graded down for a sig and sketch on the interior (I'd say it's structurally a 9.4). I own a blue 9.4 of #1 but I can't seem to part with this dupe. (shrug)

When I first started collecting Dark Tower Gunslinger, I purchased a lot of books already signed by the artists and sent them in to be graded because I wanted to keep them in good condition. Most of them have been signed by Jae Lee - here are two of my favs:

Dark Tower 7 qualified

Dark Tower 7 var qualified