• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman question

34 posts in this topic

1) Modern comics (with a few notable and usually short-lived exceptions) are generally dime-a-dozen.

2) Sandman in particular is one of the most reprinted series ever, with the complete story continuously available in a series of constantly-reprinted trade paperbacks.

Because 95% of Sandman's readership read it in TPB format, and the TPB's remain permananently in print. Oh yes, and in Absolute format too!

I think this is why DKR and Watchmen back issues never really took off in value.

A slabbed #1 in 9.8 will fetch a few hundred dollars mind you....

sandman1cgc98w.jpg

...and the TPB's remain permananently in print....

Did I say permananently...? And I'm not even drunk :insane:

More importantly, why aren't Hellblazer back issues more highly valued than Sandman?

1) Started years before Sandman

2) Still running today!

3) Most of the series remains un-reprinted

4) Has had a movie starring Keanu (much as we wish it hadn't)

hb67cgcss98w.jpg

i never read DC's Sandman but its obviously insanely popular. why are backissues so low in price?

Different kind of collector not Superheroes collector. Goth.

A lot of adults collectors buy AF 15,Spider-man and superheroes back issues to recapture thier youth memories,while Sandman was allways bought by a much older crowd. You never know though after the success of Dark Knight and probally Watchmen you can bet the beancounters at Warners are looking to turn Neil Gaiman`s Sandman into a major motion picture. so buy cheap now.

More importantly, why aren't Hellblazer back issues more highly valued than Sandman?

2) Still running today!

i always wondered about that. i have never read Hellblazer but i did see the movie and thought it was pretty good. how does it compare to the comic?

2) Still running today!

i always wondered about that. i have never read Hellblazer but i did see the movie and thought it was pretty good. how does it compare to the comic?

I enjoyed it, I did. The movie is a quite fun in its own right, and has some really great turns by Tilda Swinton and Peter Stormare.

But it isn't Hellblazer. Keanu's Constantine is nothing like the JC of the comics. Put it this way, in the movie Keanu was trying to earn a place in heaven by doing 'good deeds' *cough splutter*. JC would probably rather take his chances in Hell than kowtow to that stuck up miserable little ponce 'god', you get me?

Furthermore the movie was way too entrenched in Catholic dogma. JC's universe is far more eclectic and mixed up, and has no special respect for any particular religion.

A real Hellblazer movie (or better still a TV show) could be low-key, low budget, dark and irreverent, and bloody brilliant.

2) Sandman in particular is one of the most reprinted series ever, with the complete story continuously available in a series of constantly-reprinted trade paperbacks.

What Zonker said ... before the release of the first series of Sandman trade paperbacks, the back issues were pretty valuable - I remember having to pony up a pretty penny to get a #1-20 set in the 90s.

But DC quickly discovered that with the Sandman trades they basically had a license to print money, which is why they have never been out of print.

Finding slabbed HG Sandman back issues is still a monstrous pain in the , though - people bought the books to read, and as such it's very hard to find copies that are true NM or NM/M.

2) Still running today!

I enjoyed it, I did. The movie is a quite fun in its own right, and has some really great turns by Tilda Swinton and Peter Stormare.

But it isn't Hellblazer. Keanu's Constantine is nothing like the JC of the comics. Put it this way, in the movie Keanu was trying to earn a place in heaven by doing 'good deeds' *cough splutter*. JC would probably rather take his chances in Hell than kowtow to that stuck up miserable little ponce 'god', you get me?

Furthermore the movie was way too entrenched in Catholic dogma. JC's universe is far more eclectic and mixed up, and has no special respect for any particular religion.

A real Hellblazer movie (or better still a TV show) could be low-key, low budget, dark and irreverent, and bloody brilliant.

great post! Couldn't have said it better. Or as English! :applause:

2) Still running today!

You might want to try out the Hellblazer videogame that was pretty interesting.

51KHFMWBZFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

2) Still running today!

(thumbs u

interesting, Hellblazer is definitely on my to read list

Because 95% of Sandman's readership read it in TPB format, and the TPB's remain permananently in print.

But do the TPBs reprint the entire series in order? I haven't looked at one in quite awhile (I'll just re-read my ragged monthies when the mood strikes), but the one time I went to read the series in TPB form I recall some of the issue were out of order, I guess due to the fact that this was written before the "6 issue arc so we have a neat TPB to sell" mentallity was in place.

Who has a handy list of the TPBs and the issues within?

Because 95% of Sandman's readership read it in TPB format, and the TPB's remain permananently in print.

But do the TPBs reprint the entire series in order? I haven't looked at one in quite awhile (I'll just re-read my ragged monthies when the mood strikes), but the one time I went to read the series in TPB form I recall some of the issue were out of order, I guess due to the fact that this was written before the "6 issue arc so we have a neat TPB to sell" mentallity was in place.

It's all there and in order EXCEPT for Fables & Reflections which reprints #29-31, 38-40, 50, Sandman Special #1 and Vertigo Preview #1.

Everything up to #28, #32-#37, #41-#49 and #51 up all fit into nice arcs.

It's all there and in order EXCEPT for Fables & Reflections which reprints #29-31, 38-40, 50, Sandman Special #1 and Vertigo Preview #1.

Everything up to #28, #32-#37, #41-#49 and #51 up all fit into nice arcs.

(thumbs u

Preludes & Nocturnes = 1-8

The Doll's House = 9-16

Dream Country = 17-20

Season of Mists = 21-28

A Game of You = 32-37

Fables & Reflections = 29-31, 38-40, 50, Sandman Special No. 1, Vertigo Preview No. 1

Brief Lives = 41-49

World's End = 51-56

The Kindly Ones = 57-69

The Wake = 70-75

One thing I'm happy about is that DC didn't try to force the Sandman series into neat little 6-issue trades - the trades follow the storylines which means that the page count (and number of issues they reprint) wary wildly.

My copy of The Dolls House (the 1st of the Sandman TPBs actually issued) also includes #8. So unless they changed things in later printings, you get issue #8 twice if you buy every TPB. Which is fine-- the story is that good.

But in general the point stands-- the Sandman series is very TPB friendly, and DC has done a nice job of packaging the TPBs in ways that make sense.

I always thought that Hellblazer's JC was closer to John Custer in Preacher than Keanu in the movie.. except maybe not as angry.

Garth Ennis and all

If I'm not mistaken in the books Constatine never spent a alot of time doing good deeds to get back into heaven however he was slated to go to hell. Rather than spend time doing deeds he took care of that problem directly with Lucifer.. He was never one to waste time.

2) Still running today!

Geez, this may be the best post ever on the boards! Nicely said.

2) Still running today!

Also, why the 2nd Swamp Thing series isn't more highly valued / regarded? Of course we all know the Moore run is coveted but like Sandman it is very heavily reprinted - but no.20, which wasn't until recently, should be a Copper key. No.37 (and no.25), the 1st Constantine is also very cheaply available.

I would recommend everyone also read the Rick Veitch run - it's as least as good as the later Moore issues - and no.84 see Matt Cable become Matthew The Raven (later in Sandman) - also the Grant Morisson then Mark Millar final run from no.140-171 is mostly fantastic.

001_big.jpg

164307661_cc819d2c18_o.jpg

newagesswampthing20.jpg