• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight- shut out of the biggies

105 posts in this topic

That's because the movie sucks. Heath is the best thing in it but beyond that it is nearly unwatchable. I've been saying this since it came out.

FLAME ON. I don't care

well, you're from texas. you know suck.

I'm not from Texas and thought the movie suked also :shy:

GREEKS UNITE! :foryou:

I thought we allready have.

In my book, best cinematography is one of the biggies

You need a new book.

You really think so? In the medium of film, cinematography isn't a big category?

I'd say there are only six biggies - picture, director and the four acting awards. Those are the ones people can remember the names of folks on.

The next tier down, and ones that are usually indications of a fine overall film - screenplay, cinematography and editing are important, but not ones remembered by everyone. Oddly enough, the winner for editing is a better predictor of the winner for best picture than any other category. "Bad" movies don't typically show up here.

Then there are the technical ones where superhero movies typically show up - sound effects, SE editing, makeup, etc. The biggest box-office movies are often in here, possibly because they blow stuff up and, in general, blowing stuff up is fun.

Not many movies get nominated for eight Oscars no matter how you look at it. Clearly it is a sign that 1) A lot of people in a lot of different areas liked this movie a great deal and 2) that critics and the Academy seem to be accepting this genre of movies as more than bubblegum flicks.

That's because the movie sucks. Heath is the best thing in it but beyond that it is nearly unwatchable. I've been saying this since it came out.

FLAME ON. I don't care

I totally agree with you, I know I got flamed hard last time I said this, but oh well. Truth hurts it was a terrible movie.

Hey I don't care if we dis-agree.

I'm more interested in why you didn't like it.

Obviously one guy didn't like the movie because he considers superhero movies cheesy...but that has nothing to do with -script or acting. It's just a preference so maybe that is a negligible opinion on a comic book forum that is superhero-centric.

:popcorn:

I do not like Heath Ledger as the Joker, seemed very flat.

I do not like the actor for Batman

I did not like this movie or the last movie, so it is fair to say I do not like this "Batman" reboot

I did not like the way they dealt with 2 face

I did not like the ending.

Maybe, Maybe if I did not read the comics I would have a different opinion but I just do not like it.

Has there ever been a comic movie, or any movie for that matter, that you did like? I'm curious as to what you perceive to be a good film if you thought Dark Knight was a bad film. Don't reach for the AFI Top 100 list either, tell me honestly, please, what you think

JC, you too, if you please.

I'll be in the minority apparently and say this;

The Dark Knight was one of the best comic book movies I have ever seen.

I'm not going to take this movie as something that follows the comic book verbatum. As it's own entity the movie is fantastic. Sure, after watching it the 5th time (yes, I saw through it 5 times in the movies, once in Imax) I began to catch the problems and loopholes, but it was still one of the most enjoyable movie's I have ever seen.

I wasn't expecting it to win best picture of 08 (frankly I never expect a comic book movie to win that title), but I was half expeting Ledger to get a nod. I thought he played a great Joker that fit in with this specific Batman universe. Sure he's no Nicholson, and not nearly as charastmatic as he is in the comics, but I thought it was clear that Nolan was not going for a charismatic Joker.

I love all the comic book fanboys and girls are just writing this off as a poor excuse for a comic book movie, or a movie in general. I'm half wondering what you would do better in it, since right now modern Batman comics are nothing to write home about...Especially since he's "dead".

I'm not going to take this movie as something that follows the comic book verbatum. As it's own entity the movie is fantastic. Sure, after watching it the 5th time (yes, I saw through it 5 times in the movies, once in Imax) I began to catch the problems and loopholes, but it was still one of the most enjoyable movie's I have ever seen.

I wasn't expecting it to win best picture of 08 (frankly I never expect a comic book movie to win that title), but I was half expeting Ledger to get a nod. I thought he played a great Joker that fit in with this specific Batman universe. Sure he's know Nicholson, as not nearly as charastmatic as he is in the comics, but I thought it was clear that Nolan was not going for a charismatic Joker.

I love all the comic book fanboys and girls are just writing this off as a poor excuse for a comic book movie, or a movie in general. I'm half wondering what you would do better in it, since right now modern Batman comics are nothing to write home about...Especially since he's "dead".

(worship):applause:

Thanks Lauren. I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I grow fatigued by those who would dismiss excellent comic book based films because they "diverge from the source material". That is such utter hogwash. If they didn't diverge to include non-comic loving types who plunk down their money in the hundreds of millions to see it, there would not be any more comic book movies made!!

One friend, who is in that camp, told me he would rather they make no comic book based movies at all if they can't make them to his exacting standards of how the character, villain, and story should unfold. Is that not just plain goofy?

I wasn't expecting it to win best picture of 08 (frankly I never expect a comic book movie to win that title), but I was half expeting Ledger to get a nod. I thought he played a great Joker that fit in with this specific Batman universe. Sure he's know Nicholson, as not nearly as charastmatic as he is in the comics, but I thought it was clear that Nolan was not going for a charismatic Joker.

I definitely agree in so far as it was one of the better "comic book movies" that I've seen. That statement, however, should be tempered by the fact that we are speaking of "comic book movies" and even the best of those are often really, really awful.

FLAME ON. I don't care

My God, I agree with Buffyfan on something - the end must be near! :o

I grow fatigued by those who would dismiss excellent comic book based films because they "diverge from the source material". That is such utter hogwash. If they didn't diverge to include non-comic loving types who plunk down their money in the hundreds of millions to see it, there would not be any more comic book movies made!!

One friend, who is in that camp, told me he would rather they make no comic book based movies at all if they can't make them to his exacting standards of how the character, villain, and story should unfold. Is that not just plain goofy?

Then by this logic, Spider-Man 1 was terrible since Green Goblin did not hold MJ over that bridge. It didn't follow the source material verbatum ergo it is a terrible movie!11111!!

They make comic book movies like this so they can appeal to mass markets. We're still a small collective group of people compared to the millions who have never read a comic book, but are rather going to see this movie for enjoyment. That's just how it is. I stopped gripping about it years ago and took them as they are.

I agree in that I thought Nicholson was an entertaining Joker however Ledger is more in line to what the Joker should be. I mean he's supposed to be a wacked out killer right?

I mean which one would you rather not run into in a dark alley?

Iron Man and Dark Knight hands down top 2 comic book movies of all time. Sure Bale could have been better but I think everyone considers the best Batman to be Kevin Conroy.

I bet your friend goes into seizures when comic book characters go into revamps in the books ex Ultimate Universe, Crisis, etc...

OK, the Dark Knight sucks huh. Let's slap these fools back into reality with information.

First this movie received 94% in the Rottentomatoes meter. That means 15 out of 16 people who are professional reviewers felt that this movie was. What does this mean.

Say you were to randomly ask these critics this what you would get. Question "Did you Like the movie?" Critic 1 Yes Critic 2 Yes Critic 3 Yes Critic 4 No Critic 5 Yes Critic Yes, Critic 7 Yes, Critic 8 Yes, Critic 9 Yes, Critic 10 Yes, Critic 11 Yes, Critic 12 Yes, Critic 13 Yes, Critic 14 Yes, Critic 15 Yes, Critic 16 Yes. Yet to the loud minority on this board there opinion somehow means more than the vast majority of Critics.

Second Heath Ledger owned the part as the Joker. I felt so when I saw the freaking trailers to the movie in the theator. Remember Heath was still alive during this time. Also here is my favorite scene in the movie. The one with the Joker and the mob bosses. Now I want you to ask yourself this question. Could you do what Heath did in this movie. I have seen this scene many times and am amazed the the little suttle facial ticks and voice changes that makes what he did almost impossible to immitate. I will show you the scene then show you Joker fanboys who try to the same thing and fail fantastically.

Heaths Version

First failed attempt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEAatqVnmx0

Yet another failed attempt

And still yet another atttempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgkRmZNMM8&feature=related

I seen many immitations and they almost all blow chunks. Only Heath could play the Joker to such perfection.

FLAME ON. I don't care

I totally agree with you, I know I got flamed hard last time I said this, but oh well. Truth hurts it was a terrible movie.

Obviously one guy didn't like the movie because he considers superhero movies cheesy...but that has nothing to do with -script or acting. It's just a preference so maybe that is a negligible opinion on a comic book forum that is superhero-centric.

I did not like this movie or the last movie, so it is fair to say I do not like this "Batman" reboot

Maybe, Maybe if I did not read the comics I would have a different opinion but I just do not like it.

Has there ever been a comic movie, or any movie for that matter, that you did like? I'm curious as to what you perceive to be a good film if you thought Dark Knight was a bad film. Don't reach for the AFI Top 100 list either, tell me honestly, please, what you think

When did TDK become the standard for good movies? And are you suggesting that TDK should be on the AFI list, or just short of it?

I could create a 100 page thread naming films that were better than The Dark Knight on every level, so let's not go there. It's one thing to compare TDK to other comic movies, or even other blockbusters, but if we're going to bring other kinds of film into this, TDK won't have a leg to stand on.

As a comic movie, it was good, but that's not saying much. But as I said before, I thought Begins, the Spidey movies and Iron Man were all better. It's just one man's opinion.

FLAME ON. I don't care

When did TDK become the standard for good movies? And are you suggesting that TDK should be on the AFI list, or just short of it?

I could create a 100 page thread naming films that were better than The Dark Knight on every level, so let's not go there. It's one thing to compare TDK to other comic movies, or even other blockbusters, but if we're going to bring other kinds of film into this, TDK won't have a leg to stand on.

As a comic movie, it was good, but that's not saying much. But as I said before, I thought Begins, the Spidey movies and Iron Man were all better. It's just one man's opinion.

See, I think I hold a vividly unpopular opinion in that the Spider-Man movies were rubbish.

Oscars are a joke. Ever since that movie In the Bedroom won Best Picture and Melissa T. won best actress in the movie I gave up on that :censored:ing awards show.

They redemed themselves a little two years ago when The Departed won best movie and Martin S. finally got best director.

At the very least DK should have made the list even if it did not win. When a movie makes almost a billion dollars worldwide it just might be a good movie.

Health Ledger should win the Best Actor Oscar hands down, anyone else is a joke.

I know..........Lets have another independent, garbage, $1.00 making movie win this year again so are our ratings can go down even more.

If the Oscar excecutives were smart they would have fixed it so DK night would be on the ballot just so a couple million more people would tune in.

Dumb F :censored:s.

Oscars are a joke. Ever since that movie In the Bedroom won Best Picture and Melissa T. won best actress in the movie I gave up on that ing awards show.

Wrong on both counts, I'm afraid. In the Bedroom was nominated, but lost to A Beautiful Mind. Marisa Tomei was nominated, but lost to Jennifer Connelly.

At the very least DK should have made the list even if it did not win. When a movie makes almost a billion dollars worldwide it just might be a good movie.

Popularity and sales aren't synonymous with quality. Avirage peepel is dum like sheap.

High School Musical made an load of money and is quite popular.

Oscars are a joke. Ever since that movie In the Bedroom won Best Picture and Melissa T. won best actress in the movie I gave up on that ing awards show.

seriously the oscar's was a joke when the movie crash won best picture instead of brokeback mountain, and HL was damn good in that movie too. :screwy::o(shrug)

seriously the oscar's was a joke when the movie crash won best picture instead of brokeback mountain, and HL was damn good in that movie too. :screwy::o(shrug)

While I appreciate the high level of acting in Brokeback, I wouldn't even have nominated it.