• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how much does this bring a grade down?

12 posts in this topic

I got a book I have been needing for my xmen run forever.

I saw scans of the book cover and back and it looked really good but the book was graded lower. I presumed it was loose at the staples but when I got it it wasn't that.

There was a coupon missing from inside the book, last page (not cover) and it does NOT affect the story at all (both sides of the page are ads).

This book has got to be a 4.0 or 5.0 without the coupon note.

So my question is, HOW much does the clipped coupon bring down the grade???

And then I will tell how it was graded.

thanks!

Unless you request a qualified label, it'll be 1.5 incomplete. I have a 5.0ish or so book with a small coupon clip not affecting story or art that got a 1.5 incomplete. Apparently, if you can request a qualified grade and then it won't affect the grade at all. Not sure how specifying you'd prefer the green label works, but unless something has changed since my experience, that's the deal.

-Rob-

moon,

No offense intended, but why, oh why would any collector be content with a copy that only grades 4.0 - 5.0 AND has a coupon clipped? hm Seems to me that you could easily find a copy in 9.0 - 9.4 with a coupon clipped or a 6.0 - 8.0 with it's coupon. hm hm

Divad (funny we have the same name but mines not backwards),

I have a lot of credit with Lone Star. I have used some of it to increase my stock in my store and some of it to fill in a few gaps in my collection.

I am NOT a high grade collector by any means. I am paying on an x-men 1 (which I never thought I would own) in less than 2.0. I just want to have a complete run of X-men.

This particular book is X-men #4. I figure I have maybe $40 in it and have been looking for an affordable copy for a while. I do not wish to put in big $$ for books that I am buying to enjoy reading and recapture books I had as a kid. As a kid, I never had many books before #94 but I had most all of them after that. I kept a great portion of them but also had used many of them as stock in my 1st store (that I sold when I moved here).

I don't know what you collect except maybe tomato boxes :0) but I always collected books I liked to read and I wanted every one in the set. I had a long run of the old superboys, supermans, actions and adventures (and I will never get all of those). I am slowly building them up now though.

However, the ONLY MARVEL book I really collected as a kid was X-MEN and I always wanted a complete run of those and couldn't afford the older books. The coupon cut does not bother me in the least. Its on the last page and I had to look hard for it. The book is very nice otherwise and I am more than extremely pleased with it, also given the price I gave for it.

The book we are talking about in strict 5.0 or better would really be more than I want to pay for this issue. I am not about having the most perfect copy of a book. I like to read the books and if I had an 8 or 9.0 I would probably be afraid to take it out of the bag if I had paid a lot of money for it (which #4 is a tough book anyway).

I hope you are broadminded enough to understand that there are different reasons people collect whatever they do. I don't collect poker covers or parachutist covers, I don't collect 9.8 slabbed whatever, I don't collect Duck books. I collect for the reasons I collect and thats what makes the comic world appeal to a wide variety of people. Some people only want #1's, I only want a complete run of decently presentable Xmen books to have.

As we all do Moon. :foryou: You seemed to infer an awful lot from what I didn't say - so much so that you took the time to write a whole page in response. I could reply in kind, but I won't. ;)

The XM #4 explains it - you made it sound like it was just a run-of-the-mill issue :)

Sorry Divad but your message came across like a high grade elitist asking why everyone didn't collect high grade. And I tend to talk alot even with the keyboard.

No problem David - thanks! I collect all grades too btw . . . :)

:gossip: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain . . . he just needs a Big Hug lol

Sorry Divad but your message came across like a high grade elitist asking why everyone didn't collect high grade. And I tend to talk alot even with the keyboard.

He is a HG elitist . I just luv em' ... :cloud9:

:makepoint::hi::banana: