• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 4.0 with a detached cover ???

42 posts in this topic

it does say 'almost' - I guess that is just a lot nicer than saying "cover really, really loose - no really trust me it's THAT loose, but it is attached." anyway it'd take up too much room to write all that.

How can this book with an almost fully detached cover be a 4.0 ?

Sounds like a classic "golden age bump".

Try submitting a modern with a detached cover and getting a 4.0 on it.

It has wonderful eye appeal. We don't know what the inside looks like or the back so how could you criticize CGC without knowing that. I think it is lights on.........just based on the cover. "Cover almost detached is ok per overstreet grading guide for VG 54-35" So it is on the low end of VG at 4.0 versus 5.4.

Abominable Snowman

Loch Ness

Golden Age Bump

I tell ya, for all these GA books that get the so-called "bump". I think i'm getting hosed. Not a single book I've ever submitted got any bump other than a downward one. What am I doing wrong? :insane:

there have been multiple books of late, getting 4.0's with detached covers...

Come again?

Disclaimer: CGC has never published their grading standards, but I believe it is fairly safe to claim that the standards delineated in the Overstreet Grading Guide are one of the set from which they draw upon to base their grades.

That being said:

Considering the OGG states that books in VG condition cannot have the cover detached - a condition that you have to go down to straight G to find acceptance for - it seems that CGC decided to base the grade in part on the summation for the VG grade;

Comics in this condition are still desirable and collectable (sic).

Of course, the last sentence of the OGG for VG reads

There are significant differences between this grade and GOOD; over-grading sometimes occurs.

(shrug)

Come again?

Superman #1 CGC 4.0 Original Owner book in the December Comiclink auction had a detached cover.

Link

Come again?

Superman #1 CGC 4.0 Original Owner book in the December Comiclink auction had a detached cover.

Link

Yeah, I think there was a thread on this in Golden Age

Come again?

The last Superman #1 in the comiclink auction was a 4.0 and the cover was completely detached. Rest of the book looked 6.0ish.

sorry, should have looked a little further before posting my drivel...

Come again?

The last Superman #1 in the comiclink auction was a 4.0 and the cover was completely detached. Rest of the book looked 6.0ish.

sorry, should have looked a little further before posting my drivel...

Great minds, Dale...great minds...

:grin:

It's a nice looking book aside from the detached cover. Lower than 4.0 is really a disservice to the nice eye appeal.

Fine, so give it a green label. I saw a Detective #395 with a pulled staple and they gave it a green label due to the staple pull, and noted the staple pull.

I think the green label is the way to go on a book with a detached cover.

there was also an Archie 1 that got a 4.0 with detached cover...

and a Detective 53 that got a 4.0 with detached cover...and a WW 36 that got a 4.0 with detached cover... the superman 1 that was recently mentioned...

4.0 seems to be the "new" max grade an otherwise fn or better looking copy can grade at with a detached cover...

Abominable Snowman

Loch Ness

Golden Age Bump

I tell ya, for all these GA books that get the so-called "bump". I think i'm getting hosed. Not a single book I've ever submitted got any bump other than a downward one. What am I doing wrong? :insane:

Your an 07 forumite..............You haven't earned the right to be a someone....... :hi:

It's a nice looking book aside from the detached cover. Lower than 4.0 is really a disservice to the nice eye appeal.

Fine, so give it a green label. I saw a Detective #395 with a pulled staple and they gave it a green label due to the staple pull, and noted the staple pull.

I think the green label is the way to go on a book with a detached cover.

I don't understand the double standard. I don't think a SA book with a detached cover would ever get a 4.0. If someone can prove otherwise, please do.