• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does your wife know how much you spend on comics ????

Does Your Wife/Girlfriend/Partner Know How Much You Spend On Comics Per Annum ?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Does Your Wife/Girlfriend/Partner Know How Much You Spend On Comics Per Annum ?

29 posts in this topic

My fiancee does know, and she encourages the hobby and even comes to cons with me (though she can't take more than a couple of hours). In the past it's never been an issue, although as we get into more expenses together (the wedding, a house, children), we'll probably have to be a lot more "formal" about budgeting for stuff like that. What makes it possible is that comics are my only real "luxury" expense. She likes to shop for clothes, go out with work friends, get the occasional pedicure, etc., so I haven't ceded the moral high ground. :-)

My wife suspects but doesn't actually know how much I spend. She thinks it is a big waste of money despite my repeated claims that when I eventually sell them I will reap big returns! I play up the investment angle even though the true reason I got back into collecting is purely nostalgic reasons...but never having collected anything, she just can't relate. I even go so far as to make sure I always get the mail so that any eBay purchased books that arrive can be discretely smuggled into the house!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the above poster except she knows I get comics off Ebay. She doesn't have a clue how much I've spent. I know I keep within my limits of how much I can spend, but my limits don't equal what hers. We've only been married a month so I've decided to slow down some.

When I met my wife in the early 90s she knew nothing about comics. But I was doing shows on the weekends as a way to make a little extra money and she seemed to appreciate the entreprenuerial aspects of what I was doing. In fact, I've bounced a few purchases off her because sometimes as a collector/dealer I get blinded by my desire to own the book and it clouds my judgment.

I've always been up front about my spending. And now that I'm into art, she's raised her eyebrows at a couple of big-ticket purchases but like somebody else said, as long as the bills are being paid, it's all good. She even bought me a page of original art for my birthday. In fact, she likes the art because it's framed and hanging on the wall, not hidden away in boxes in a dark closet.

But I do have to say that compromise works both ways. I don't rag about how much she spends on shoes, and she doesn't rag about how much I spend on comics. Shoot, if she goes out and buys a nice pair of Manolo's then I've got cart blanche for the next month! 27_laughing.gif

My wife knows as much about the cost of the comics as I do.

1)She is a better grader.

2)She knows how scan the books and post the listings for sale on E-Bay (I only know how to buy).

3)She knows how to make deposits, withdraw money from paypal, and pay for books. I only know how to open the boxes when the books arrive.