• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

OK, so i need some opinions

I picked up a copy of #1 first print that looks amazing. Its a signed copy and looks far better than my signed 9.4. It would be a 9.6 for sure, other than on thing I see.

The logo seems almost just a little dirty. There is some slight spekles in it and there T and L seem just slightly off white yellow compared to the rest of the logo. It just not does apear that bright white that my 9.4 copy does.

The paper apears to be off-white or off-white to white (I am not very good at grading page quality) and my 9.4 copy is white pages.

I have owned several copies there where all white pages, so I have not noticed this before, but its so slight I dont think I would have noticed if I need not already own other copies.

Do you guys think this is a concern or common due to the newspaper?Will this hurt the grade?

can you post pictures?

!C!o3wZwEGk~$(KGrHqR,!hQEzd14BlPUBND4leCz(g~~_3.JPG

This is not a great picture, but the best I have. You can see the first T is a little dirty. The second T looks about the same, but the white is just the slightest bit a different shade of white. I overnighted the book to Matt Nelson to see what his throughts are.

This is not a great picture, but the best I have. You can see the first T is a little dirty. The second T looks about the same, but the white is just the slightest bit a different shade of white. I overnighted the book to Matt Nelson to see what his throughts are.

I dont think a little bit of dirt will affect the grade. The hairline scratches may, but I dont know. Im sure Matt will give you a really good idea of the actual grade.

I dont think a little bit of dirt will affect the grade. The hairline scratches may, but I dont know. Im sure Matt will give you a really good idea of the actual grade.

Those scratches where actually just on the mylar. Thanks for the input. I'm pretty excited to hear what Matt has to say. :wishluck:

Finally I received grades on my books i've had out

#1 1st print - 7.5 (2 graders 7.5 / 1 grader 8.0) SUCKY! I thought it was 8.5

#1 2nd print - 9.6

#1 3rd print - 9.6

#3 NYCC - 9.2 (I could of swore this would of graded higher 9.4+)

Edited by DJB

:wishluck:

Keep us updated. :popcorn:

Minor update. I took a look at my 9.4 when I got home and i noticed a small amount of this speckle in the logo along with the letters appear slightly different colors also if I stare enough. Its not as apparent as the newer copy, but if you look hard enough there is something there. :wishluck: still for a 9.6

#1 2nd print - 9.6

#1 3rd print - 9.6

Very nice books. I know those are not the grades you wanted, but still good job (thumbs u

I'm sure anyone here would say yes, #1 is worth the read.

I have an extra deluxe edition #1 (6th print) '92 I could sell. Perfect bound (square bound). Mint condition or a Fair condition

Edited by DJB

#1 2nd print - 9.6

#1 3rd print - 9.6

Very nice books. I know those are not the grades you wanted, but still good job (thumbs u

Thanks! Yea, grades could always be better, but I am really happy about the two 9.6's as my whole collection besides 1st print and NYCC are ALL 9.6s.

Question for the professionals.......

1 of the 3 graders claimed 8.0 . Is it worth the risk of resubmitting to try and achieve a 8.0? I truly feel I was robbed on this one. Anyone else that has seen this book thought it too was nothing short of 8.0/5.

#1 2nd print - 9.6

#1 3rd print - 9.6

Thanks! Yea, grades could always be better, but I am really happy about the two 9.6's as my whole collection besides 1st print and NYCC are ALL 9.6s.

1 of the 3 graders claimed 8.0 . Is it worth the risk of resubmitting to try and achieve a 8.0? I truly feel I was robbed on this one. Anyone else that has seen this book thought it too was nothing short of 8.0/5.

Call CGC and get the graders notes. It might be a tough grade or something that could be pressed out. A lot of these books seem to have finger prints and other surface wear that kills the grade.

#1 2nd print - 9.6

#1 3rd print - 9.6

Call CGC and get the graders notes. It might be a tough grade or something that could be pressed out. A lot of these books seem to have finger prints and other surface wear that kills the grade.

I agree. I would call and find out the notes first and then decide.

#1 2nd print - 9.6

#1 3rd print - 9.6

I dont know if there is a huge value difference between a 7.5 and 8.0. Keep in mind postage and regrading fees that'll probably add up to $100. If this had a shot at 8.5 it definitaly would be worth the gamble.

Congrats on the 2nd and 3rd prints though. Any print of the #1 that receives a 9.6 is awesome.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll scan the book later today.

There is minor corner wear on each bottom corner.

Fairly bad spine dent top left

FINGER DENTING IN COVER. <<< IDK how much better the grade would get if this was pressed out.

From recent pricing on ebay, 7.5 to a 8.0 has brought about a 3-400 price difference on average. Pressing, Resubmitting would cut that difference in half.

Unless magically it could pull a 8.5 then it would be completely worth it. But besides those issues the book is flat with white pages.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll scan the book later today.

There is minor corner wear on each bottom corner.

Fairly bad spine dent top left

FINGER DENTING IN COVER. <<< IDK how much better the grade would get if this was pressed out.

From recent pricing on ebay, 7.5 to a 8.0 has brought about a 3-400 price difference on average. Pressing, Resubmitting would cut that difference in half.

Unless magically it could pull a 8.5 then it would be completely worth it. But besides those issues the book is flat with white pages.

Similar to what's on the other TMNT #1 you have on ebay right now?

The one on ebay appears much better besides the small color break. If it was not for the color break, I would have loved to get it graded.

I should revise the "estimated" grade on it. I've been meaning to scan it and place it up on the "Spare A Grade". I do not want to overstep its grade.

Edited by DJB

DJB: It sounds like CGC grades more conservatively than you do. I don't know how long you've been submitting, but it happens to most of us when we first start subbing books to CGC. My advice is to hammer the small defects in your mind and grade super conservatively until you get a feel for what CGC is actually looking for in a book. Spend some time looking at other people's books in the Hey Buddy can you Spare a Grade area and when you feel pretty practiced, post front/back scans of your book and just wait for the responses.

As for your 7.5 first print, it'll be tough to see a 0.5 grade difference through a slab, especially if you don't have the right scanner (my scanner doesn't handle magazine slabs well). My recommendation is to let it go and just keep the 7.5. GPA has recent sales between the 2 grades at less than $50. It would not be worth it unless you got an 8.5+.

Jad: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, buddy! :wishluck: Let us know what Matt says. :)

Mr. 9.8: Issue #1 can be pretty easily found if you're good with a reprint. Heck, I'll send you one of the colored reprints if you cover the media mail shipping. PM me if interested. It's a solid read and at the very least, I think any comic book enthusiast can appreciate the mark it's left, both on the comic industry and on the global market.

I am new to submitting but so far I have been damn near spot on with my estimated grades, besides this #1. I thought for sure it would be a 8.0 at worst. Regardless it is what it is, and I have come to terms with that. The only thing I can do from here is get more #1s! :idea:

Deciding now whether or not I want to take down my auction and submit the other #1.

Scanned through the cgc case. disregard white dots

75F.jpg

75B.jpg

Edited by DJB