• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

Just won a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 2nd print in CGC 7.0. I thought that was a pretty cool snag. :grin:

I was watching that auction. Congrats! :applause:

I'm looking to buy a TMNT #1 for myself. 1st print though. (thumbs u

I've been watching eBay for months now and none have come up in my price range. I should say none that are graded. There have been some raw copies but shady sellers. Plus I've done the research on the couterfeits so I'm being careful about eBay.

My price range is about a $1,000. Anybody know if I could get a CGC 7.0 1st print for that? It seems this is a tough book to even find for sale in the mid-grade range. (shrug)

You should be able to get a 7.0 for that price. If youre patient and wait for the right deal you could probably even get a 7.5 for around 1k.

True story. I bought my 7 for about that.

Although also true story that finding tmnt #1 in "mid-grade" shape is pretty tough. I usually either find them really nice, or really crappy.

You should be able to get a 7.0 for that price. If youre patient and wait for the right deal you could probably even get a 7.5 for around 1k.

True story. I bought my 7 for about that.

Although also true story that finding tmnt #1 in "mid-grade" shape is pretty tough. I usually either find them really nice, or really crappy.

Gospel truth right there.

I'd almost think for $1k you'd be able to get a 8.0 as I thought the 9.0 copies were running a little over $1k. But again, the real pain is just finding them. I remember when on my hunt that a few of the vet TMNT collectors were explaining how the population of these books is pretty polarized between low grade beaters (some of which never survived the 80s) and then those that went into collections in high grade condition. So, those in the middle tend not to be as frequently found and when they are, they tend not to leave collections as often.

Great deals for TMNT #1 are possible. Two years ago I got my 8.0 copy, signed by Eastman & Laird on the interior cover, (with white pages no less!) for a flat $800. It was a BIN and was only uploaded for several hours before I snagged. It was two days before Thanksgiving so maybe that's why it flew under the radar.

I didn't figure anyone would mind, but a few days ago I asked to have the TMNT #1-62 registry set renamed to "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Volume 1)". Given the one-shots and various reprintings of certain issues, the term "volume 1" seemed to better describe the set. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if the new IDW series sparked some new sets. It'll be good to have them differentiated.

Gemma works fast. She already instituted the changes. :o

I didn't figure anyone would mind, but a few days ago I asked to have the TMNT #1-62 registry set renamed to "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Volume 1)". Given the one-shots and various reprintings of certain issues, the term "volume 1" seemed to better describe the set. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if the new IDW series sparked some new sets. It'll be good to have them differentiated.

Gemma works fast. She already instituted the changes. :o

(thumbs u Frankly Adam, your title is more descriptive so definitely a positive change! (and a (thumbs u to Gemma for making it happen so quickly!)

how hard is it to find city at war comics in good shape say around 9. something range ?.. I wouldn't mind having some of those covers in my collection :) nor sending them in to get ss lol .... too bad peter does not do more cons... & same for jim :(

#50, 53,54 are great covers

Edited by synch

how hard is it to find city at war comics in good shape say around 9. something range ?.. I wouldn't mind having some of those covers in my collection :) nor sending them in to get ss lol .... too bad peter does not do more cons... & same for jim :(

#50, 53,54 are great covers

Or AC Farley, for that matter. In my mind, his covers are some of the most iconic in the run. In CAW, I'm partial to the covers to 50, 54, and 58.

As far as finding them, it's a mixed bag. These were all raw when I bought them...4 were from a board member who has a talent for finding hard-to-find books in high-grade. The others were ones I picked up at shows, comic shops, and online. As you can see, I'm still looking for 3 of them in 9.8. The problem is that the print runs on these later issues were pretty low, so they don't pop up very often. Also, interest in the comic wasn't really high around that time, so those that did buy them didn't necessarily take care of them.

Something to try: set up a daily ebay search in the comics section "Ninja Turtles 50", "Ninja Turtles 54", etc. and take out the word "adventures" (follow your search field with -adventures Volume 1 was the only volume to get numbered that high, so this search will tell you whenever a new book gets listed. Sometimes you'll get lucky. It's how I found a few of my books.

th_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles50.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles51.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles52.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles53.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles54.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles55.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles56.jpg

th_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles57.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles58.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles59.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles6092.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles61.jpgth_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles62.jpg

Here's a short notice one. By random chance I noticed Matt Howarth's name on the Philly Artist Alley list. I grabbed my raw copy of TMNT #41 and sent it to Billy the Kidd. He got it signed at the show and submitted it for on-site grading. A big thanks to Bill for taking this on such short notice! (worship)

While I feel that both Eastman and Laird can rightfully sign any TMNT book, I get a small sense of pride from getting non-E&L sigs on my Turtle books. I feel like it gives a little diversity to my collection. From my volume 1 run, I've added Sakai, Lawson, Dooney, Talbot, Lavigne, Zulli, Bissette, and Bode. I'd really love to add Farley and Veitch to the list, but I'm happy to now have Howarth. Especially since he did everything for this issue:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles41SS.jpg