• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

WOW…….thanks for the welcome folks

Although I’ve been collecting for over 40 years and have approx 12,000 Marvels/DC’s I’ve only just joined this board and just beginning to read up on grading and things like “pressing” etc which I never even contemplated before.

Nice to be here and members have been very helpful especially in the PGM threads. (thumbs u

Welcome old bean

Re pressing: I always find it slightly funny that everyone (the Americans) go on (and on and on and on :D ) about pressing so much.,.. as a child I distinctly recall using piles of heavy old books and annuals to "press" spined-curled copies of 2000AD before i swapped them with other children for the latest Whizzer & Chips.... they came out good as new - what's the difference!!!

Speaking of which, I have a very early memory of comic restoration too - black felt tips and yellow sello-tape... CGC would NOT be able to spot it

(worship)

Guys can anyone give me a rough idea on what shipping a slab Royal Mail costs these days? I'm a little out of the loop.

If possible a price including tracking for paypal within the UK, Europe, USA.

Sent one to Darren last week and that was about £5.50 1st Class Recorded (UK).

(thumbs u

Anyone know to the US?

Around £13 for normal Airmail, £20 for international signed for and £21 for Airsure. Well that was what I was qouted when I sent a slab recently. I went with Airsure :)

Edited by gaz2810i

I'm not seeing it till the morning of the 26th :(

I could go at the weekend but I'm catching an over night triple bill at the IMAX in London :)

All 3 films starting at 00.40 with the DKR starting at 06.15 lets hope I don't fall asleep :wishluck:

I could go at the weekend but I'm catching an over night triple bill at the IMAX in London :)

All 3 films starting at 00.40 with the DKR starting at 06.15 lets hope I don't fall asleep :wishluck:

Fairplay, no way I could watch all 3 in 1 go let alone through the night

Fairplay, no way I could watch all 3 in 1 go let alone through the night

I have to work nightshifts where I need to stay awake in front of monitors in a drk room showing either BBC 1 or 2 so I can certain I could cope. I am also on four nights starting the 26th so I will treat it like starting my nights early (thumbs u

I didn't manage to get around to watching Spider-Man, but DKR is pretty much unmissable and I'm definitely seeing it next Tuesday.  

ITV2 showed Batman Returns last night, I started watching it while I was finishing off a sketch.

I do like the Gothic style of the Burton movies but if you compare them to the comic books you can see that he decided to go his own way with the Batman universe and completely ignore anything the comics had to offer.

I see these movies as Elseworld tales if you will, if you compare them to the comics:

Batman kills or causes incredible harm to his foes. In the first movie he did kill the Joker by hauling him off the ladder of the helicopter. He blew up Axis Chemical plant, if you remember when the Batmobile dropped the bomb from the wheel there was about 4 goons stood nearby, they wouldn't have survived! Batman Returns, he uses the afterburner to engulf one of the penguins men in flames, he later straps a bomb to a thug and throws him down a manhole.

Alfred is too old. Commissioner Gordon is a bumbling insufficiently_thoughtful_person and the police are completely inept in Batman Returns, when the Penguins gang terrorize the city at the start, one police car turns up containing the commissioner and one cop with his immediate response to be "What are you waiting for, the signal!".

I could go on.

To me, growing up with Killing Joke, Year One, DKR and later reading the Demon saga and then Knightfall and onwards, Nolan paid attention to the comics, took broad ideas, installed his own vision as well.

Burton wanted to make a stylish movie and ignored the source material completely. Even though Batman (1989) will always be why I got into Batman, Nolan has been the one who (in my mind) brought the Batman I grew up with to the cinema.

3 days to go to see the final instalment, I can't wait!

Edited by Bane