• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

I think Nick summed it up best after LSCC when he said, (and I may be paraphrasing him slightly) "any UK dealer that didn't do this show is a because you just missed the biggest payday this industry has had in the last 20 years"

We did fantastically well at LSCC, Kapow! And always do well at the monthly London Mart, dealers wouldn't put all that work in if it wasn't worth it.

Also, selling moderns is profitable if done right, however I would agree that it would be hard to make big money just doing that on it's own.

Also, I've come to realize recently that there is a whole world of collectors out there who have no interest in cgc and uber high grade collecting, they just love reading and building runs and will pay reasonable money to pursue that area of the hobby. In fact I would go as far as to say that these customers are the lifeblood of the hobby.

Well put :applause:

Well the only way to cross promote on eBay is to put a flyer in with orders directing them to your webstore, which does work.

Also, we sell new issues via eBay all over the UK as well as France and even Eastern Europe. We also sell back issues, toys and even vintage Star Wars toys on ebay.

Many people in the UK aren't close to a lcs, and let's face it, there are very few decent online back issue sellers in the UK. ( again, Nick being the exception that proves the rule)

There are customers out there for virtually everything, you just have to work hard to find them and then keep them.

I think Nick summed it up best after LSCC when he said, (and I may be paraphrasing him slightly) "any UK dealer that didn't do this show is a because you just missed the biggest payday this industry has had in the last 20 years"

We did fantastically well at LSCC, Kapow! And always do well at the monthly London Mart, dealers wouldn't put all that work in if it wasn't worth it.

Also, selling moderns is profitable if done right, however I would agree that it would be hard to make big money just doing that on it's own.

Also, I've come to realize recently that there is a whole world of collectors out there who have no interest in cgc and uber high grade collecting, they just love reading and building runs and will pay reasonable money to pursue that area of the hobby. In fact I would go as far as to say that these customers are the lifeblood of the hobby.

Well put :applause:

I concur.

Can't say I've ever watched much of the Olympics over the years but I'm really enjoying this one so far.

Even the BBC's coverage has been excellent - apart from the useless Gary Lineker. They should never let him out of the MOTD studio again.

Can't say I've ever watched much of the Olympics over the years but I'm really enjoying this one so far.

Even the BBC's coverage has been excellent - apart from the useless Gary Lineker. They should never let him out of the MOTD studio again.

Not sure that Gabby Logan is that much better. The same questions and platitudes over and over again (all right, that does come with the territory), and a smugness that does grate after a while. Michael Johnson and the other Yanks who sit on the sofa are very good sports for all the relentlessly twee Britcentric flag-waving spearheaded by Logan.

Overall though I agree...the coverage is pretty good. It does help that Brits are doing well in the medals, of course.

Not sure that Gabby Logan is that much better. The same questions and platitudes over and over again (all right, that does come with the territory), and a smugness that does grate after a while. Michael Johnson and the other Yanks who sit on the sofa are very good sports for all the relentlessly twee Britcentric flag-waving spearheaded by Logan.

Overall though I agree...the coverage is pretty good. It does help that Brits are doing well in the medals, of course.

Yeah, Logan's not great either but overall it's been pretty impressive.

Can you image what it would have been like on ITV?

It would've been biased to the point of jingoism and dumbed down to X-Factor levels. Plus it would never have provided such complete access to all the events the way the Beeb has. And then of course there would've been the ads and corporate sponsorship infesting everything.

That said, I thought ITV matched the Beeb at the Euros.

Overall, Des Lynam was the BBC's best sports anchorman and had a quiet, understated authority that all the current Olympic presenters should attempt to emulate. Except Hazel Irvine (will someone get her off our screens immediately, dammit!).

Congrats to all the athletes taking part, I really didn't think I would watch much of this Olymics and even went out of my way to avoid it for the first few days, but now I'm completely hooked.

Oh, and I think Charlie Brooker should do the tv coverage, it would be surreal but completely BS free.

Haven't really got any interest in the Olympics though the wife has had it on the telly occasionally. I did watch some of the gymastics as I find some of the feats they're capable of to be truly impressive.

ITV would have gone to adverts halfway through the 100m final