• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Shame I can't access YouTube at work otherwise there would be links to Stockholm Syndrome, Knights of Cydonia, New Born, Plug In Baby and Butterflies and Hurricanes incoming.

Muse :cloud9:

Super Massive Black Holes & Assassin are the ones I would listen to the most.

Shame I can't access YouTube at work otherwise there would be links to Stockholm Syndrome, Knights of Cydonia, New Born, Plug In Baby and Butterflies and Hurricanes incoming.

Muse :cloud9:

Your not the only one, they are mine and the missus' favourite band and we are off to see them at the 02 on the 26th this month. It will be the 4th time for me and 2nd for the missus.

Personally I really like the 2nd Law. They have changed there styling somewhat. The Album is very inconsistant but works within the themes they are trying to convey. There are a couple of standout tracks and some I can imagine will grow on me. The thing that really stands out for me is the way they have obviously added a dubstep element and have taken on board a number of influences that almost make the album feel reminiscient of a scissor sisters Album. It's not their best work but still better than a lot of albums I have listened to this year and last.

In terms of current bands they are in my top 3 along with Sigur ros and Radiohead. If we were talking performers I would add Regina Spektor to that list :cloud9:

Gary have you seen Regina live? That would be pretty cool.

Love Radiohead and like Muse. Just going to look for the new Beth Orton Album to download.

I've seen Beth live a couple of times and she is superb. She's had some health issues over the years so it's good to see she's back.

Does anybody read any music magazines they could recommend for someone trying to rediscover what's happening in the music scene? I really haven't been listening to music for the last few years and just want to find out what's going on

The best of the bunch by far was the Word which recently folded unfortunately. Q was great but is now unutterably bad. Uncut is probably the best of a bad bunch.

For online music coverage I would recommend The Quietus (sp?).

Gary have you seen Regina live? That would be pretty cool.

Love Radiohead and like Muse. Just going to look for the new Beth Orton Album to download.

I have and she was great, In fact if you seek out the Live in London Album that was the gig I went too.

The best of the bunch by far was the Word which recently folded unfortunately. Q was great but is now unutterably bad. Uncut is probably the best of a bad bunch.

I agree with this generally. The Word was a good mag but rather up itself . Q always toed the corporate line and was mainly for the non-gig goer, and then got much worse when it tried to get in with da kidz, about 6 or 7 years ago. Suddenly it was no longer Mick Hucknall on the cover every other issue, but The Streets.

Uncut, Record Collector and Mojo are for old farts like myself, with Led Zep, The Stones, The Clash, and The Who on the cover too often even for me. The writing is usually of a high standard, though.

Best try the NME for what's current, but bear in mind that unlike the NME that I remember from back in the day, it has no filter - they have to pimp and big up everything, as long as it's new, as cutting edge music these days is somewhat thin on the ground.

I stick with Kerrang and Metal Hammer! :headbang:

I haven't read any music magazines in over a decade. I bought Q regularly up until the early 90s, but I always liked those two the most because they covered my favourite genre and also had a sense of humour.

Does anybody read any music magazines they could recommend for someone trying to rediscover what's happening in the music scene? I really haven't been listening to music for the last few years and just want to find out what's going on

Just listen to this: Radcliffe and Maconie