• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Grade or not to Grade

30 posts in this topic

With grading being so subjective, even though there are plenty of guides out there, is it better when selling comics just to provide large scans and a thorough description of the comic, especially the faults with it, than to give it a grade?

I'm in agreement with both. This way, you avoid all the heartache that can occur with a difference in expectations.

I also insert a detailed summary of the Overstreet grades in every listing so it is very clear what defects are and are not acceptable at a given grade.

I can PM you my summary as an example if that helps.

I do agree with Nik on the picture, but I shy away from this because to do all the pictures you would like to post on eBay starts adding up in the way of costs if you do with this every listing. I've seen folks take front, back, side-spine, side-opening shots of books that started at $1 and they sold for - you guessed it - $1.

If only eBay would allow for up to X amount of shots per listing free. One can dream.

I can PM you my summary as an example if that helps.

I do agree with Nik on the picture, but I shy away from this because to do all the pictures you would like to post on eBay starts adding up in the way of costs if you do with this every listing. I've seen folks take front, back, side-spine, side-opening shots of books that started at $1 and they sold for - you guessed it - $1.

If only eBay would allow for up to X amount of shots per listing free. One can dream.

You can easily use the HTML format within eBay listings and show very large externally hosted photos without incurring the multiple photo cost from eBay.

You can easily use the HTML format within eBay listings and show very large externally hosted photos without incurring the multiple photo cost from eBay.

You mean by slipping it into the text area eBay will not give you a hard time over this working around their billing system?

I had no idea. Another lesson learned on the forum.

With grading being so subjective, even though there are plenty of guides out there, is it better when selling comics just to provide large scans and a thorough description of the comic, especially the faults with it, than to give it a grade?

Thanks for the insight folks. Going with both is probably the way with a detailed guide of grades from Overstreet.

People love to think they have found a bargain, so as long as you supply decent photos along with your opinon of the grade you can't go wrong. They might even think you undergraded compared to what they see and bid accordingly.

In the end having a grade in the description about the book cannot hurt because it gives people a starting point, unless of course you grade every book you list NM++ like so many do on Ebay, and people will want to return all the books you sold them.

(:

You mean by slipping it into the text area eBay will not give you a hard time over this working around their billing system?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

I usually include grade, PQ , big scan and description of any hidden and some obvious flaws.

FWIW - I experimented last year and listed a few GA books (mostly classic covers) with big scans and detailed descriptions on ebay, but just referred to them as "low grade" (all were 1.5 - 2.5 condition) - a couple of them were BINed at full asking, and the buyers all left positive feedback.

Make of that what you will.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

Thank you for the education! I always assumed eBay would threaten to suspend an account if you worked around their billable system. Now that you recommended this, it makes a lot of sense.

I would recommend the best scans you can provide, full front and back covers.

And I would recommend giving a grade to the best of your ability and a fairly detailed description (I'm pretty anal in this regard)...

Sometimes when I'm kindof on the fence on a grade I will say VG to VG+...meaning I'm pretty convinced it's at minimum a VG, definitely not a VG- and there are enough positive attributes that it could well garner a VG+

Be as HONEST as you can be...I have a tendancy to undergrade by a half a grade rather than overgrade by a half a grade...I'd rather the buyer be happier than otherwise...I don't want books coming back either...

I think most of us are grading here as to how we think it would grade per CGC standards, which are not published, just something we all gain from experience looking at many graded books...I still feel OSPG is a valued reference and if using their standards, say so...

Lastly, when describing the book, I comment on whatever is constituting the grade by first describing the front cover, the back cover, the inside covers, the overall structure (does the book lay flat, are the staples tight or pages loose and what condition the staples are in, centerfold attached) and registration of the book, and the interior page quality and if there are any markings etc. and obviously if there is anything missing...concentrate on the flaws that might not show up so well in the scans, such and non-color breaking creases (NCBs), soft drop creases, rack stresses, light stains, rust and/or foxing, that sort of thing...

GOOD LUCK!