• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Favorite Non-Comic Artist

67 posts in this topic

Alphonse Mucha

The Ultimate Master of Pure Line in illustration and painting.

The godfather of not only graphic design because he took part in

a movement that created advertising, but his work is a strong foothold

for comic art in general.

The biggest breathtaker when viewing his fine art is that he loved large

canvases to display is drawing power. Many of his works were 20-30 feet high!

So naturally when he created smaller works to go through presses for duplication

they were mind blowing!

Event he best Illustrator of the 20th century wasn't even fit to shine this guys shoes...

73082.jpg

I should answer myself...

I really couldn't pick one, but I can do a top five, in no order:

Edouard Manet

berthe_morisot_au_bouquet_d.jpg

Johannes Vermeer

Probably the odd man out on this list, but I love his stuff. My wife and I have a goal to see all the existing Vermeers in person. We're 2/3 of the way there :banana:

view_of_delft.jpg

Rembrandt van Rijn

At this point I've seen many hundreds of Rembrandts and my appreciation only grows with time. He never ceases to surprise me.

syndics.jpg

John Singer Sargent

Sargent surrounds you when you live in Boston, so if pressed I might choose him as a "favorite"

sargent.jpg

James McNeill Whistler

whistler.jpg

Great Topic!

My favorite FAMOUS artist is Salvador Dali. (Over the past year I made it to both of his world famous museums. St Petersburg FL, and Catalonia Spain) Both museums were awesome.

My favorite CURRENT artist is my wife Michele (I am biased a bit, but to be honest out of A LOT of modern art I see here in NY I think some of her stuff is the best). Here are examples of her style.

http://www.michelemcloughlin.com/MICHELEMCLOUGHLIN.COM/Portfolio/Pages/Painting.html#8

To me her art is wacky, graphic, and kind of makes you feel extremely happy. And even though I have one hell of a sketch cover collection in my apt. I have no comic stuff on the walls whatsoever. One day I will have a room and a house......so for now it sits in boxes. Anyways though I am curious what people think of her work and if they like it.

Alphonse Mucha

The Ultimate Master of Pure Line in illustration and painting.

The godfather of not only graphic design because he took part in

a movement that created advertising, but his work is a strong foothold

for comic art in general.

The biggest breathtaker when viewing his fine art is that he loved large

canvases to display is drawing power. Many of his works were 20-30 feet high!

So naturally when he created smaller works to go through presses for duplication

they were mind blowing!

Event he best Illustrator of the 20th century wasn't even fit to shine this guys shoes...

73082.jpg

I wonder if Joshua Middleton patterned himself after Mucha. The feeling is so similar.

Beautiful! (thumbs u

Andy

Great Topic!

My favorite FAMOUS artist is Salvador Dali. (Over the past year I made it to both of his world famous museums. St Petersburg FL, and Catalonia Spain) Both museums were awesome.

My favorite CURRENT artist is my wife Michele (I am biased a bit, but to be honest out of A LOT of modern art I see here in NY I think some of her stuff is the best). Here are examples of her style.

http://www.michelemcloughlin.com/MICHELEMCLOUGHLIN.COM/Portfolio/Pages/Painting.html#8

To me her art is wacky, graphic, and kind of makes you feel extremely happy. And even though I have one hell of a sketch cover collection in my apt. I have no comic stuff on the walls whatsoever. One day I will have a room and a house......so for now it sits in boxes. Anyways though I am curious what people think of her work and if they like it.

Really nice! It's great you have a wife who is a painter. Her work has a very friendly feel to it. I really like the Amsterdam picture. Great water movement and the colors! How cute are those little bikes. I hope you have this one on your wall. Curious how big her works are?

Joanna

Great Topic!

Really nice! It's great you have a wife who is a painter. Her work has a very friendly feel to it. I really like the Amsterdam picture. Great water movement and the colors! How cute are those little bikes. I hope you have this one on your wall. Curious how big her works are?

Joanna

Thanks I will pass that on to her! Her paintings are done in acrylic and the coffeshop study pieces were all 24x36"

Yeah it is tough to sell paintings in this economy.....especially when you are not an established artist. Thanks for looking really appreciate it! :)

I also love

Van Eyck

Van_Eyck_Brugge_Madonna_Child_canon_VanderPaele.JPG

(worship)

One of the most remarkable paintings I've ever seen is the Arnolfini Portrait. It's a familiar image, but when one is faced with it's postage stamp size (it's not that tiny, but is much smaller than I imagined it would be) it's put into new context.