• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Favorite Non-Comic Artist

67 posts in this topic

The Master himself, Salvador Dali.

salvador-dali.jpg

Wow! I'd have to concur with that. Salvador Dali is a huge fave of mine

also I'd hate to create a conundrum by selecting Roy Lichtenstein.

That being said I also like Michaelangelo (not the turtle), and Hieronymous Bosch

The Master himself, Salvador Dali.

salvador-dali.jpg

Wow! I'd have to concur with that. Salvador Dali is a huge fave of mine

also I'd hate to create a conundrum by selecting Roy Lichtenstein.

That being said I also like Michaelangelo (not the turtle), and Hieronymous Bosch

I had a great time last summer at the Met in NYC. They had an awesome display of Dali art and movies - even one he did with Walt Disney that was never shown.

I first love is vintage pin-up art and some of you know that I have this image on my iPhone as I WILL own this pastel piece some day.

I know who sold it last and for how much so eventually I'll be able to purchase it.

Rolf Armstrong is the artist. It's titled "Hollywood Venus" and was done in the 1930's

rolf_armstrong_venus-417.jpg

My over-all favorite would probably Earl Moran, followed closely by Fritz Willis or Ren Wicks

Earl Moran pastel:

moran1.jpg

Fritz Willis:

WILLIS16lrg.jpg

Ren Wicks:

wicks_underwater55.jpg

Both Willis and Wicks did calendars for Harold's Club of Reno for several years.

Dali' if I can only choose one....but I also like N.C. Wyeth a great deal....and Bev Doolittle is awesome.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I do find it a little interesting that so many of you have said Dali especially since much like Picasso in his later years he considered his own work to be contrived and superficial.

His ego overshadowed most of his work while he was alive and it got to the point of painting something just to see how much the next one would sell for.

Dali' if I can only choose one....but I also like N.C. Wyeth a great deal....and Bev Doolittle is awesome.GOD BLESS...

I do find it a little interesting that so many of you have said Dali especially since much like Picasso in his later years he considered his own work to be contrived and superficial.

His ego overshadowed most of his work while he was alive and it got to the point of painting something just to see how much the next one would sell for.

Nevertheless, an outstanding and creative artist that always made you stop, look and think.

Lets see some examples of your favorites!! I never said limit it to one.. (thumbs u

The museum in St. petersburg FL has the largest collection in the world ;)

Dali even did a Disney animated movie!

Been there many times both with my consciousness lifted and wide-eyed sober...

I would HIGHLY reccommend the visit to anyone. The St Pete Museum is mindblowing...

I mean you don't have to be high to have your brainpan scrambled from standing in front of the (towering) Hallucinogenic Torreador

Johannes Vermeer

Probably the odd man out on this list, but I love his stuff. My wife and I have a goal to see all the existing Vermeers in person. We're 2/3 of the way there :banana:

:whatthe:

I recently submitted an interview to ComicArtFans.com's weekly newsletter (to be distributed in early March). In the first couple of drafts, I mentioned that I am very passionate about Dutch and Flemish art from the Golden Age of the 17th century and that one of my longtime goals is to see all of the existing Vermeers in person! Glad I ended up taking it out of the final version in light of your post. Anyway, I'm also 2/3rds of the way through, though I have yet to see the low-hanging fruit in D.C. and Boston, so a couple of roadtrips would boost that figure up pretty quickly - I should probably make that a goal for 2009. hm

Johannes Vermeer

Probably the odd man out on this list, but I love his stuff. My wife and I have a goal to see all the existing Vermeers in person. We're 2/3 of the way there :banana:

:whatthe:

I recently submitted an interview to ComicArtFans.com's weekly newsletter (to be distributed in early March). In the first couple of drafts, I mentioned that I am very passionate about Dutch and Flemish art from the Golden Age of the 17th century and that one of my longtime goals is to see all of the existing Vermeers in person! Glad I ended up taking it out of the final version in light of your post. Anyway, I'm also 2/3rds of the way through, though I have yet to see the low-hanging fruit in D.C. and Boston, so a couple of roadtrips would boost that figure up pretty quickly - I should probably make that a goal for 2009. hm

(worship)

Boston, unfortunately, will be a tough one. Living here and being born into a family of art-lovers, I was lucky to see the Vermeer at the Gardner before it was stolen, so it's checked off my list, but it's present whereabouts are unknown.

http://www.boston.com/news/specials/gardner_heist/heist/

Washington is a no-brainer. One of my favorite paintings of his is Woman Holding a Balance, which you'll see there.My favorite Rembrandt self-portrait is also there. I commune with it whenever I'm in DC.

My holes are the German paintings (never been to Germany at all), Austria and some of the paintings in Great Britain/Ireland. I've never been to Edinburgh, I've been to Dublin, but their painting was on loan to Japan and I've only seen half of the Vermeers in London.

73156.jpg.f0a4deff6b5a840498541b6522745208.jpg

Murakami. Japanese pop artist.

murakami1.jpg

Good choice. (thumbs u

I have so many favorites, it would be hard to list them all.

Van Gogh is probably my all-time favorite, although I think to really appreciate his work, you have to see it in person.

Others off the top of my head would be Juan Miro, Kandinsky (not as much as Miro though), M.C. Escher, Max Ernst, Hokusai, Caravaggio, and a slew of other artists, many that have already been listed on here by others.

Joseph Cornell is also one of my all-time favorites, especially a work entitled Pantry Ballet (For Jacques Offenbach) which displays a troupe of dancing plastic lobsters. I couldn't find a good image of that one, but here is another piece by Cornell:

17orga.illo.450.jpg

Joseph Cornell is also one of my all-time favorites, especially a work entitled Pantry Ballet (For Jacques Offenbach) which displays a troupe of dancing plastic lobsters. I couldn't find a good image of that one, but here is another piece by Cornell:

17orga.illo.450.jpg

Were you able to catch the Cornell retrospective that went around a couple of years ago? It was remarkable.

17orga.illo.450.jpg

Were you able to catch the Cornell retrospective that went around a couple of years ago? It was remarkable.

:(

Sadly, no.