• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth it?

15 posts in this topic

Is it worth it to dish out the $100 bucks to have membership for 1 year? I plan on submitting a couple comics but id just like some feedback.

No offense, but it's only worth doing it if you have books worth slabbing, and some purpose in doing so. Otherwise, no way.

if they are for your collection anything could be slabbed. but if you are flipping then it just might not be worth it.
I would go almost the exact opposite - if you are keeping them for your collection, don't slab them.

If you're trying to sell particular books where slabbing would make up the more than $100 in fees by increasing your final selling prices, and you're confident in your abilities to grade to CGCs standards, then go for it.

Then again, even if you do not plan to sell them and want to slab them, I want to get my favorite issues together and submit them and keep them. The fact they are slabbed with a grade, gives me value as well.

Plus if they do not grade what I like I can sell that and then replace the lower graded copy with an upgraded copy.

Then again, even if you do not plan to sell them and want to slab them, I want to get my favorite issues together and submit them and keep them. The fact they are slabbed with a grade, gives me value as well.

Plus if they do not grade what I like I can sell that and then replace the lower graded copy with an upgraded copy.

I guess it goes back to the original question of, "is it worth it?" So it might be, if you're into slabbing for pleasure, to keep a few books.

To me it isn't. If CGC doesn't grade it "what you like", my guess is you'll get hosed on the slabbing fees, and be selling it for less than you paid, so I'm not sure what the point of that exercise is..., beyond making CGC happy.

I do buy quite a few CGC books, and the ones I keep, I de-slab. Interesting enough, there are very few of these slabs where I could say the original person who had them slabbed made a profit by doing so. Most can be had either for pretty close to the slabbing fees, or for the intrinsic value of the book. But then again, I rarely buy above the 9.2 level.

It is only favourable financially if you plan on sending in exactly 3 books worth more than $250 each anyway. You will save a few bucks, but not much.

Some people like to track submissions online; but if you only submit once or twice a year, phone/email is just as good.

I thought about a membership to send in three of my higher-dollar books, but return shipping to Canada for 3 books makes it a better deal to just send them through the local dealer.

isnt there a way you can get 20% off?

I think C-Link and a few big dealers will let you use their discount if they physically send the books in for you. I've started to do this as you can also "piggy-back" on larger orders to keep shipping costs under control.

i myself like having the books i collect safe. its not for the grade its for the book and its history. and i feel others that say it isnt worth it cause reselling isnt easy. i find it easier to ask myself will i hang this on my wall or show it off or will it be on the selling block soon. or do i want this book for story or art.