• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on foreign comics: Are comic books stictly American?

16 posts in this topic

What I mean is.......do they all originate in the US? I have seen auctions for books sometimes that have been Canadian editions and wasn't sure what that meant? In particular was a GA Plastic Man book from about 1946.....which, from the cover, looks exactly the same as the regular american version. Was it? The back cover had a different ad than the american one, but other than that......I could'nt tell. Are they serparate and distinct with completely different printing dates and places.....or are they the same books, printed during the same print run ?

How about other countries in the world? Are all the old back issue comics sold in England and Austrailia just books that were made here......and then found their way over the seas to collectors ?

I know other countries have their own heros......Judge Dredd (Britain) Herge's Tin Tin.. Moebius etc. But am I correct in asuming that a Batman #50 for sale in Canada or some other country.......is the one and only "American Batman #50" ?

Any comments would be appreciated

Senor, this should be kinda obvious :P but there are

- all-new foreign comics with original content (like cdn whites or Italian disneys) not distributed into the US

- comics where they just print a single edition with different prices for different points of distribution (say USD, Cdn $, and UK, like many 80s marvels)

- (later) foreign reprints of American comics

- contemporaneous foreign editions of American comics (like golden age canadian editions of timelys, etc., which are generally the same book w/same or similar content just printed a little differently)

Senor, this should be kinda obvious :P but there are

- all-new foreign comics with original content (like cdn whites or Italian disneys) not distributed into the US

- comics where they just print a single edition with different prices for different points of distribution (say USD, Cdn $, and UK, like many 80s marvels)

- (later) foreign reprints of American comics

- contemporaneous foreign editions of American comics (like golden age canadian editions of timelys, etc., which are generally the same book w/same or similar content just printed a little differently)

What he said!

Wait a minute now. I'm not talking about new c-r-a-p. I'm talking about old books. Golden Age books. I have seen Canadian edition books before.......and the seller stated, "This is a Canadian Edition".......

So how does he know ....unless it says so in the inside front cover somewhere.

Sorry forgot to post the thread. :tonofbricks: Check out these Canadian Whites and tell me they aren't beautiful and rare.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1894839

The Can. Edition Plastic Man was published at the same time as the US copy. Probably has white interior front and back covers, sans ads, but otherwise I would imagine it is the same.

Sorry forgot to post the thread. :tonofbricks: Check out these Canadian Whites and tell me they aren't beautiful and rare.

The Can. Edition Plastic Man was published at the same time as the US copy. Probably has white interior front and back covers, sans ads, but otherwise I would imagine it is the same.

Thanks Dave. Wow that Canadian thread was a whopper !! Thats one awesome collection!! What a fantastic bunch of books. And I guess the Plas #16 I was looking at is NOT a Canadian white.......just a Quality Plastic Man book printed "FOR" sales in Canada. Hmmmmmm???

Thanks Dave. Wow that Canadian thread was a whopper !! Thats one awesome collection!! What a fantastic bunch of books. And I guess the Plas #16 I was looking at is NOT a Canadian white.......just a Quality Plastic Man book printed "FOR" sales in Canada. Hmmmmmm???

Still a cool book and harder to find in grade than American version.

Yea.......I suppose. I don't think I'd start a Canadian Edition collection on purpose.......but if all the stories and artwork are the same........might be a good score for my Plas run. (thumbs u

Those Canadian Whites are absolutely amazing. Rarer then hens teeth. The Plas would indeed by a Quality Plastic Man printed at the same time for Canadian markets. They aren't worth as much as US editions even tho there are rarer. A cool book.