• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color Guides: What do you all know about these?

15 posts in this topic

I just recently purchased a whole slew of early '60s Archie color guides. I know virtually nothing about color guides in general and Archie color guides in particular (other than they're really cool!) Can anyone give me any information about their history, value, etc. I'd really appreciate it!

I just recently purchased a whole slew of early '60s Archie color guides. I know virtually nothing about color guides in general and Archie color guides in particular (other than they're really cool!) Can anyone give me any information about their history, value, etc. I'd really appreciate it!

They're usually dirt cheap. That's about all I know about them? Very collectable because they're rather unique and pretty cool looking (what with all the notations and whatnot), but I know little about them beyond that.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Mushroom collects these items so he may be able to give you better information. My experience with them is limited. However, I did use to own the colour guides to the interiors of Showcase 77. 893frustrated.gif

I have a set of color guides to an issue of (surprise) 100 Bullets. I love it! The colors are so vibrant and deep compared to the printed issue, and many of the pages have notes in the margins for different effects for the printer to use.

Color guides are not, and will never be as "valuable" as original pages, but there are people out there that collect them. However, I really like them as they are an actual part of the whole production process. They are also extremely affordable compared to their original counterparts. Usually color guides for an entire issue can be had for less than the price of a single page of artwork.

What is their value? It's hard to say. There are no "hot colorists" (although I've heard Trish Mulvehill is pretty foxy tongue.gif), so I would think that the popularity of the title is the "most important" factor determining "value". One thing that could come into play in the near future is that color guides are being (and are almost totally) phased out of the process in favor of computer coloring. So, they could become valuable in the sense that they aren't used anymore.

Like original art, "it just depends". With your guides, there are alot of Archie collectors. Many would probably love to own something that was actually used in the production of an Archie book. Find the right person, at the right time and you could make a little profit if you wanted to ever sell them. I got emails from a few people shortly after I had won the Bullets work on eBay, and have had people ask me how much I'd sell it for. I don't plan on selling mine (at least not anytime soon). I just enjoy them for what they are.

Sorry I couldn't give you any real specifics or history. You should scan a few pages and post them in the original art appreciation thread. I think I posted a Bullets page there somewhere. I'm sure a bunch of us would love to see them. (I can think of one cool Hep-kitty who would particularly like them!).

Chris

Mushroom collects these items so he may be able to give you better information. My experience with them is limited. However, I did use to own the colour guides to the interiors of Showcase 77. 893frustrated.gif

Let's put this into perspective.......there are colour guides and then there are COLOUR guides. Just like original line art prices vary dependant on whether it is a cover, splash page or a normal page. Price is also determined by availability of colour guides in a run, the popularity of the hero and the age it was issued. Then to add to this complexity...some colour guides are truly stunning whilst others are downright ugly.

Having said all that....they are NOT necessarily cheap.

I have been buying Adler (DC BA) from the three main dealers for quite a while now and even among them prices vary dramatically. In the main their pieces are right above market and generally they don't sell on ebay, however, some of the pieces are rare and stunning (I will be starting my own have a cigar thread for production art sometime in the new year). I have two B&B's that are orgasmic and a world's finest that I will be having framed. I also have some horror books that are matched pairs.

I have also picked up some SA Marvel covers over the last year. They tend to be a bit cheaper and also generally of a higher quality.

Single pages are cheap and there is very little market although full stories are desirable.

I implore all of you not to get into this market as it is worth very little from a dollar and enjoyment perspective. smirk.gif

As for colourists....Trish is very good, I have bought some pieces direct from her but my favourite is Anthony Tollin. He did a lot of DC titles in the 80's and they are truly works of art.

Common color guides from 80s comics are around $5-$10 each. Saw the color guide to F Miller DD #158 cover eBay for around $250 buy it now hit fast. makepoint.gif

Dealer has it for sale here

http://comicbookartgallery.safeshopper.com/6/cat6.htm?803

334566-untitled.jpg

Yes, you are seeing correctly. This is the original, one-of-a-kind color guide used to publish the now classic Daredevil #158, which is known by most comic fans worldwide as the 1st issue from the Daredevil title drawn by the legendary Frank Miller!

While it is impossible for me to say with 100% certainty who hand colored this piece, the most likely artist is either Marie Severin or the late George Roussos.

The colors still seem to be as lucious and vibrant as they were the day the piece was colored! The piece has the standard pencil markings on the back of it which indicate when the job was due and when it was turned in.

The piece measures a standard 7" x 10.5".

There is some whiteout on top of the 2 smaller tombstones on the right of the cover, and there is a small .5" "tear"(doesn't show through) which goes through the letter V on the green Marvel Comics banner at the top of the cover.

Neither of these things are very noticeable and they certainly don't detract from the piece, but I just want to mention it in case you didn't notice it yourselves. Cover Color Guides have certainly been rising in price fairly quickly during the last 18 months or so, but I have always felt and still feel that they have a long way to go before they reach their full value potential. In the case of this beauty, remember that the original pen&ink artwork would likely sell for somewhere in the area of $25K to $35K, so in that respect this beautiful one-of-a-kind piece is still priced very affordably.

334566-untitled.jpg.7f9a0ede49feece662ee19de72df052a.jpg

seen a lot of them on ebay. They dont seem to sell for a lot.

Production art is cheap ????????

Check this one out. Second tier Marvel character. Not particularly good cover.

Silver Surfer #6

Colour guides of covers are more important and rarer.

I don't know where you have seen so many cheap copies. insane.gif