• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albedo 2 pricing

24 posts in this topic

In 9.6 it used to go in the $2000 range. Never in 9.2 that I remember. But you are all correct, it has dropped in all grades across the board. I obviously can't give a definite reason why it has dropped off, but I think the gaining popularity of other indies may have put this on the back burner for many collectors. Titles like Invincible, Goon, Bone, Walking Dead, etc... are fresh in people's minds, and are generally more affordable, so that could be a partial reason.

William, I would lean towards your summary of what may be going on as even the last two years it was not uncommon to see an 8.5 selling in the $400 range. Even ComicLink had a CGC 9.2 sell for $712 late last year, and a CGC 9.0 for $500.

Thanks for the fantastic information folks. It helped make what I believe to be a great purchase.

All the best.

William, I would lean towards your summary of what may be going on as even the last two years it was not uncommon to see an 8.5 selling in the $400 range. Even ComicLink had a CGC 9.2 sell for $712 late last year, and a CGC 9.0 for $500.

Thanks for the fantastic information folks. It helped make what I believe to be a great purchase.

All the best.

:gossip: Don't forget to post pics when you get it (thumbs u

Brian

I've noticed prices dropping as well...I wonder why?

Another point is who's really going to remember this book in 20 or even 10 years from now.

A book like TMNT #1 stands a much better chance or even something like Cerebus #1 which had a much longer run along with a bigger reader base. hm

Usagi Yojimbo isn't in the public eye anymore as far as I know. No new books, no media, movies, nothing.

stan stopped putting them out?

You know though, I've always wanted a really nice copy so whether they are still be printed or not, the buggers are so rare I'll take it.

I did contact that fellow that has five (5) copies for sale at sometimes 1.5x to 2x guide first to see where he was getting his prices from. Let's just say his Make Offer means a few dollars off those prices, so I did great.

And I'll take an Albedo 2 over a TMNT 1 any day only because the character means more to me.

Like a few have said on here, collect what you like, not where the money is going.

Usagi Yojimbo isn't in the public eye anymore as far as I know. No new books, no media, movies, nothing.

stan stopped putting them out?

There are still books coming out. Theres even going to be something for Free Comic book day I believe.

My 9.0 sold for $650-ish last year. It's a great book, used to be very, very hard to locate in the marketplace, and then the market caught up and books appeared. As with Turtles #1, it's one of the very, very few 80's books that can command hundreds to thousands of dollars on the market.

The backlash is where we're at now, as prices settle.

But I don't see this book being much below $300-$400, even raw "VF or better", anytime soon. It's just too rare.

Supposedly 1,500 to 2,000 copies. I'll check the site later on as I think Stan's site talks about the print run.

So assuming a portion of that run was treated roughly from being given away as a freebie, that reduces the count a little, but what that number may be is a guesstimation.

The print run was 2000. Stan is still putting out the book monthly, and there is still a very loyal Usagi fanbase, so I agree that the book won't drop too much farther. Having said that, I think the high point for this book was about 2-3 years ago; I sold a CGC 9.0 privately for $1200. :whatthe:

Also, be careful, since this is a relatively high dollar book, a fair number of them have color touch to make the spine look better.

It wasn't given out as a freebie.