• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When was it time for you...?

20 posts in this topic

When did you know it was time to sell part of your collection?

I do realize that no one will be able to answer this question for me but I am asking it anyway because maybe someone can give me some insight that I did not think about.

Here’s my problem, I have limited space and I need to clean out a box to start up a new collection. One series I can sell without much regret since it is fully collected. The others are not collected and probably will never get collected. I just re-read one series that is uncollected and still really enjoyed it. I don’t want to have any remorse over selling them just to try and hunt them again. For the record, these are not expensive runs either.

I would love to hear stories about when you sold off some of your collection.

Seeing as my first collection was binned by my ex and my second collection is still in fledgling stages I can't comment on selling it!

But if you're in real need of space and you really don't feel too much about your complete run (whatever run that is) then make that the one to go first. It sounds like you wouldn't miss it too much anyway.

After that go for the run you enjoy reading the least, if the books you have aren't going to realise some major upturn in value over the years it makes sense just to offload the stuff you enjoy the least.

But what do I know? I'm still buying....

Seeing as my first collection was binned by my ex and my second collection is still in fledgling stages I can't comment on selling it!

But if you're in real need of space and you really don't feel too much about your complete run (whatever run that is) then make that the one to go first. It sounds like you wouldn't miss it too much anyway.

After that go for the run you enjoy reading the least, if the books you have aren't going to realise some major upturn in value over the years it makes sense just to offload the stuff you enjoy the least.

Thanks for the input. I read a lot and do sell the ones that are not too high on my "love it" list right after reading them. My problem is that the ones I currently have in my collection are series that I really enjoyed. Only one of them is fully collected.

I am just wondering, how people determined when it was time to weed out their collection.

Thanks for the input. I read a lot and do sell the ones that are not too high on my "love it" list right after reading them. My problem is that the ones I currently have in my collection are series that I really enjoyed. Only one of them is fully collected.

I am just wondering, how people determined when it was time to weed out their collection.

Either...

(a) I have no space

(b) I have no money

© I have no interest

For me, if the books don't fall directly in line with my interests then it's time to sell 'em off (i.e. I thought it was a good deal for a key even though it's not a title or character I like, etc). I think part of what helps keep me more on the collector side of the fence v. the investor side is that I really only try to pickup stuff I like v. stuff I think I should have. If the second sort of comic finds its way into my collection, then I try to sell it off. Besides, this keeps me better focused and gives me a collection that I really enjoy and am happy to own. :)

It was shortly after my wife got me fixed...., :sorry:

I was taken as a virginal 12 year old by a local dealer and it took me 20 years to recover as a collector and learn to love my collection for what he left me with and start again. :o

I've only traded one book and given a few away in charity other than that in all my years as a result.

Some day I may sell again hm

Couple reasons for me. When I realized that the stuff I used to collect, mainly higher grade superhero books, was not "doing it" for me any longer. I used to get excited about my collection and I searched vigorously for them at local shops and shows.

I took somewhat of a break a few years ago and when I came back I found that I had very little motivation for the superhero stuff. Finding this site really reinvigorated my collecting bug, but I decided to focus on the kind of books that I enjoyed as a kid, mainly DC war and Richie Rich. Since then, I have been excited about collecting. I also get the urge from time to time to start a pre-code horror collection. Although, I wasn't even alive when those books were being published, I find them very cool and interesting.

Also, these days my pocket money is somewhat limited and the only practical way I can afford to buy new books is to sell my existing collection. I do it with no regrets because I will be able to use that cash to buy the books that I care about now.

I have always regretted selling for space. Sell if you no longer want an issue or run and you will never regret it.

That's what I am worried about. I have sold and still sell issues that I enjoyed but will probably never read again without any pangs of remorse. It's strange but as a novel reader, there are only a handful of books that I find myself re-reading. However, with comics, I seem to enjoy re-reading the stories.

Couple reasons for me. When I realized that the stuff I used to collect, mainly higher grade superhero books, was not "doing it" for me any longer. I used to get excited about my collection and I searched vigorously for them at local shops and shows.

I took somewhat of a break a few years ago and when I came back I found that I had very little motivation for the superhero stuff. Finding this site really reinvigorated my collecting bug, but I decided to focus on the kind of books that I enjoyed as a kid, mainly DC war and Richie Rich. Since then, I have been excited about collecting. I also get the urge from time to time to start a pre-code horror collection. Although, I wasn't even alive when those books were being published, I find them very cool and interesting.

Also, these days my pocket money is somewhat limited and the only practical way I can afford to buy new books is to sell my existing collection. I do it with no regrets because I will be able to use that cash to buy the books that I care about now.

Actually, for the past 6 months, I have been on the bartering system. But I am running out of things to sell or buyers that want my junk. :cry:

Actually, for the past 6 months, I have been on the bartering system. But I am running out of things to sell or buyers that want my junk. :cry:

I hear ya. I'm still a long way from liquidating all the books I have now deemed expendable, but I wonder in the back of my mind what I'll do when they finally run out. :(

I've decided to sell almost half of my collection after first trying to catalog them all in a computer program. I realized I had a lot of comics I had no intrest, that weren't worth anything, and that someone else could gain enjoyment out of. Since then I have been selling comics on e-bay, mycomicshop.com, and some to friends.

by selling them, I have gotten money, or credit, to buy other comics to fill in some spots in my collection that I can't find in my local shop.

I've decided to sell almost half of my collection after first trying to catalog them all in a computer program. I realized I had a lot of comics I had no intrest, that weren't worth anything, and that someone else could gain enjoyment out of. Since then I have been selling comics on e-bay, mycomicshop.com, and some to friends.

by selling them, I have gotten money, or credit, to buy other comics to fill in some spots in my collection that I can't find in my local shop.

I know my comics aren't worth anything but there are plenty of readers out there that can enjoy them. I sell them without really making a profit. Honestly, I find ebay is getting tougher and tougher to sell comics.

I was purchasing big lots, reading them and then reselling them usually at a loss. But I have decided to stop doing that and do something that is more focused for my collection.

I just sold off about half a short box of comics and I really feel that I can start to organize what I have left. Now I am getting in the selling mode.

yeah I normally don't make a profit either, actually don't think I do at all. I know I bought a lot of the stuff I'm selling in lots. I still want to buy big lots for the fun of going thru and finding gems, but have decided to focus on the direction i want my collection to take, mostly GL, Superman, Spidey, and set fill ins. Also saving up to get books SS cgc'd at ECCC or sent for CGC'd by a "local" shop I've recently found that sends them, and for membership to collector's society.

I still have 3 long boxes to sell, but slowly chipping away. :wishluck:

However, since I've started reading the forums I'm starting to get the buying bug and am perusing the marketplace here, and looking at ebay (where I discovered that Michael Turner has passed)

I have found purchasing single issues here and there more rewarding in the long run. It's less overwhelming and easier to organize.

I think I am going to start going to garage sales again. I still have yet to find any that sold comics but they were kinda fun anyway.

Good luck selling those comics. I believe that if you sell anything cheap enough there will be a buyer.