• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Floor bids on Comiclink

32 posts in this topic

Every month for about the last 6 months, a group of books is listed on CLink.... they include ASM 9 CGC 9.4, ASM 28 CGC 9.4, ASM 29 CGC 9.6 (Boston), and FF 24 CGC 9.6.

These books were again listed on Feb 1 at 1745 EST , and had their customary bids within an hour of listing.

Despite these seemingly reasonable bids, the books are repeatedly listed. In fact, the ASM 9 has a list price of $8500 and an $8400 bid. I've concluded the seller is putting floor bids in on his books. I mean, can a deal not be reached when the 'bid' is just over 1% under the ask? lol

If someone knows different, LMK.

If not, what are your opinions on floor bids?

My opinion is 100% shill. CLINK's system is perfect for this. Same is true once someone places a bid on an item. Seller needs to have a friend submit a higher bid to get the real bidder to hit the bin rather than risk missing out on the item.

The FF 24 and ASM 29 are also only bid 5% off ask.....

My big question is.... are floor bids the same as shilling, in terms of ethics and the integrity of the process?

I would say yes. Any bid on an item in an auction that is not intended to win the item is a shill bid.

My big question is.... are floor bids the same as shilling, in terms of ethics and the integrity of the process?

Any bid on your own books, or by a third party on your books on your behalf, is a shill bid.

Probably a shill.

But, don't the previous bids carry over when relisted? You don't have to shill each time you relist, just the first time.

I believe technically the price is supposed to drop 5% any time you relist. Though I have my doubts they worry about enforcing this on $10,000 book listers. ;)

Probably some other " time passing before relisting" thing in the rules I didn't catch too. hm

Probably a shill.

But, don't the previous bids carry over when relisted? You don't have to shill each time you relist, just the first time.

Bingo -- the previous bid stayed with the book when it cycled to the top. I also checked "behind the scenes" to be certain that it is not a shill. We take shill bids very seriously and if there is indeed a shill, and we know it, we will delete the bid and/or the book, and issue a warning to the seller as well as the bidder. -Josh

Probably a shill.

Bingo -- the previous bid stayed with the book when it cycled to the top. I also checked "behind the scenes" to be certain that it is not a shill. We take shill bids very seriously and if there is indeed a shill, and we know it, we will delete the bid and/or the book, and issue a warning to the seller as well as the bidder. -Josh

If you catch them shilling, why not just ban the seller outright?

Probably a shill.

If you catch them shilling, why not just ban the seller outright?

Good question -- we take issues on a case by case basis, and in some instances we will ban the seller and the bidder for good, without any warning. In other cases we will issue a warning, and keep a close eye on the account.

Probably a shill.

Josh, thanks for the chime in.

Probably a shill.

(thumbs u

Thanks for posting, Josh.

However, I doubt you can actually ascertain if the bids are shilled or not. If the 'bidder' ID and the ISP of the 'bidder' differ from the user who listed the book, I just don't see how any proof of shilling could be determined.

Common sense, though, suggests that an ASM 9 with a list price of $8500 and an $8400 bid would sell quickly to a legitimate bidder.... as would the GS XMen 1 CGC 9.6 a couple months ago with a list of $3300 and a $3150 bid. hm

Not as often as you would think.

I have had many books sit with one or two bidders on them just below the bid price and they wouldn't budge any more. It does happen. I end up watching the clock and closing the deal before the bids expire.

For me I've learned that one in the hand is better than two in the bush.

R.

You have to log in to bid.

(shrug)

Yes, with an email address and a password. Set up a different ID at a different computer (ie at work) or use a proxy server, and voila, you have a different CLink identity.....

Not as often as you would think.

I have had many books sit with one or two bidders on them just below the bid price and they wouldn't budge any more. It does happen. I end up watching the clock and closing the deal before the bids expire.

For me I've learned that one in the hand is better than two in the bush.

R.

The key statement here is that you close the deal. These books have been repeatedly listed, monthly, with bids close to ask each time, and no deal gets closed.

Why? hm