• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #4... A Little Help?

16 posts in this topic

Greetings, friends. Though I intend to sticking to the collecting and investing strategy that you all gave me in the very helpful thread I started a week or two ago, I gently tested the buying waters by buying a raw copy of Avengers #4. I paid $150.00 for it from a dealer that I greatly trust. His grade was a "solid good." I will attach pics as soon as possible, if necessary. (I'm currently looking for the necessary cord to connect my camera to my new Mac, sorry...)

Going from the notes he gave me when he graded it, it says:

"Staples firm, tan pages, flatness: slight roll, tiny crease on the cover, Corners: Medium, the cover gives no reflection, very dirty cover."

The cover has some scratches over Iron Man's head, Captain America's star, Submariners face, etc. (put directly over their mouths and eyes, like something that a child would do). Some made tears, other just scratches that blemished the cover paper.

It seems like a really tight book, actually, with the cover scratches being the biggest flaw.

Any thoughts? Did I pay to much for it?

And, though not really connected to the (my) issue at hand, did anyone see the Avengers #4 CGC 8.0 that went for $2,400 today?

Thanks!

Hmm, seems like a wacky copy. Are those gouges all over the cover?? If so, how far do they go into the book? I personally wouldn't have purchased this book for $150, not to be a jerk. Even if i could get a 2.0 grade, which is certainly debatable, I still would have gone for a more generally worn book, but that's just my 2c

Hmm, seems like a wacky copy. Are those gouges all over the cover?? If so, how far do they go into the book? I personally wouldn't have purchased this book for $150, not to be a jerk. Even if i could get a 2.0 grade, which is certainly debatable, I still would have gone for a more generally worn book, but that's just my 2c

I'd say that some, perhaps a third, of the scratches go through the cover, the other gouges do not. And don't worry about "being a jerk," honesty is what I need! I'm still learning about all of this, and figured that $150 wouldn't be a huge mistake. Thanks!

I'd say that some, perhaps a third, of the scratches go through the cover, the other gouges do not. And don't worry about "being a jerk," honesty is what I need! I'm still learning about all of this, and figured that $150 wouldn't be a huge mistake. Thanks!

Let me give you some advice I got from these boards. If you don't like it - send it back. Personally, I'd be sending this one back - that sort of damage is sufficient to make the book (for me) less desireable than the average 2.0 And the price is not exactly a steal, even allowing for the 'hotness' of Avengers at the moment.

Ultimately, though, it boils down to whether you are happy with it or not. (shrug)

... the collecting and investing strategy ...

Rule 1) Don't buy a book when it's hot.

So you did bad right off the bat.

:(

Let me give you some advice I got from these boards. If you don't like it - send it back. Personally, I'd be sending this one back - that sort of damage is sufficient to make the book (for me) less desireable than the average 2.0 And the price is not exactly a steal, even allowing for the 'hotness' of Avengers at the moment.

Ultimately, though, it boils down to whether you are happy with it or not. (shrug)

Well said (thumbs u

Good move "some scratches" doesn't begin to describe the defacement to that copy - and any dealer who would call it a "solid good" - should be on probation in the "trust" department - at least as far as grading is concerned.

Good move "some scratches" doesn't begin to describe the defacement to that copy - and any dealer who would call it a "solid good" - should be on probation in the "trust" department - at least as far as grading is concerned.

Sadly, you are very right.

How about "Moderate Gouging"? hm:roflmao:

The description might have read: "Both the book and the price exhibit moderate gouging".

The description might have read: "Both the book and the price exhibit moderate gouging".

:golfclap:(: