• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit Comics

22 posts in this topic

Are counterfeit comics making a come back? I know about Cerebus, TMNT and Dawn. However, Thor #1, WWH, and Incredible Hulk #104. Is this news to anyone else or am I just behind the curve as always. I just amazes me that these counterfeiters never get caught.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6948

Well considering the fact that the Civil War #1 sketch variant was going for around $500 at one time and it was 1/100. I can only imagine what people would pay for a book that they think is a 1/1000 variant.

I think this has been going on for longer than we know.

Technology has progressed where it is easy and cheap and some people would do it just for the challenge.

And as for old books I wonder if someone still has any the old printing presses and could they recreate the paper and ink, age it enough and then pass it off as a GA or SA legitimate old book? hm

Ha. I brought this subject up on this forum not too long ago, and many scoffed at the concept.

The list will grow.

Where there is money to be made, somebody will do it. Often.

That man speaks the truth.

As a World War Hulk fan, I'd like to see one of the counterfeit versions of it. Anyone got a pic? Anyone wanna sell one to me?

-Adam

As a World War Hulk fan, I'd like to see one of the counterfeit versions of it. Anyone got a pic? Anyone wanna sell one to me?

-Adam

....and there you go...i was waiting for this one.....they'll become rarer and more collectable than the originals....

I was thinking maybe they were made in China. China seems to bootleg everything else or should I say everything is made in China, including some comics.
Now if I could only get a few "facsimiles" custom made or ordered. hm

Talk about filling the holes in a run.

I read somewhere that China counterfeited a lot of recent Marvel comics.

I was right..... I'm so smart :acclaim:

There was a big article about it somewhere that the bootleg Marvel Comics from China were even confiscated.I believe it happened in New York less then a year ago?