• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Bronze/ Modern age books would you still put big money into?

43 posts in this topic

Well since we had all these Modern age/ Bronze age crash threads I thought we could have something a little different. Would you still put big money into any Modern Age books? Or Bronze age books? If so what? Examples; early TMNT, CFD, ASM 298-301, Ninja High School, Cerebus, Tough Whitman, Skywald, DC Hot Covers, 30/35 cent variants, etc etc....

My first choice would be none. My second choice would be Neal Adams books in HG. But I'd do that with the realization that these are blue-chip books to be held for a while and not short term flippers.

all depends on the price By current prices of CGC books none, I'd rather buy Golden Age unrestored MLJ's, Timelys and any really great covers that the Overstreet hasnt broken out. By Overstreet prices there are still lots of Bronze and Silver books I'd like to have

seriously, and I actually do put big money into price variants in high grade or rare ones.

Modern's I'll still buy at premiums: ASM 300, Hulk 340, Hulk 345, GI Joe 21, Danger Girl 2 ruby red foil, USM 1 DF, RED and White vars, UXM 1 DF sketch cover, Thor 337, ASM 238, Spidey vs wolverine, Punisher LS 1, wolverine LS 1, chick covers I can't pass up - Witchblade 1, Witchblade 8, Witchblade 10, Witchblade 25 specklefoil

Bronze: Submariner 1-10 especially 1 and 8, 34-36 and 68-72; X-Men 94-140; Hulk 122, 180-182, FF 112, 120s with Surfer;

oh and if it's obvious, I don't hoard/speculatte on DC...but that may be changing... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1970s horror.

low print runs.

+

people read them, didn't collect them

=

scarcity in high grade.

buy what others aren't buying. everyone has multiple copies of ASM 300. stay away from those.

thumbsup2.gif This connects with the Phantom Stranger series thread I posted earlier....Hardly any 9/6's out there.

moderns as decent investments: Late era gladstone dd advs., US advs, scrooge's & WDC&S (never understimate the foreign market for ducks) Flex Mentallo #1-4 not reprintable due to lawsuit,girl who would be death #1-4, eaters, kill your boyfriend (again, foreign buyers LOVE vertigo books, most all i sell now go there ) tmnt #1-3, Visions #1, hellblazer 10, 11, 12, 25, 26, 27, 40, 49-61, next men #21, san diego con #2, charlton 1984-1986, weird war #64, 72 twisted tales #8,9,10. of course your buy price is important, don't over pay now, but search them out on the cheap (ok i know its too late for TMNT, but other than that...)

bronze with growth room: 80 pg. giant HOM & unexpected (some of the best issues of the entire runs), phantom stranger #10, HOS #88, Late issue Witching hours, hom 175 & 186, vampire tales, savage tales #1, fear #10, astonishing tales #12 & 13, hulk #159, 160, 171 & a score of under the radar covers. again, don't pay multiples now!

It's all time-horizon here... and some of it depends on what kind of wholesale price you can get...

But I would not feel bad about having a few hundred dollars tied up for a decade in:

100 Bullets

Fables

Y: The Last Man

Strangers in Paradise

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac

Cherry Poptart

That's just a few off the top of my head, you'll notice there are no superheros to be found. There hasn't been a compelling new superhero since Spawn, and since Spawn debuted during the glut he's clearly not an option. There's always a chance that some character that debuted in the last ten years has been ignored to this point and will see popularity later (a la the Punisher who was ignored for over a decade). But there is no way to pick which character will be mined from the trash heap for future greatness.

The six titles above all have strong potential to see popularity in another media. And that popularity gives them a shot to sell well as comics even if the rest of the comic medium tanks. Most Dell Four Colors are [!@#%^&^]. But the ones that tie in to tv shows or have photo covers of popular actors will sell forever. There are people out there who just love Clint Eastwood, and the price they will pay for a comic with his photo on it is unrelated to what they will pay for a Superman from the same period.

The properties above all have a good chance to see life outside of comics. Even though I don't see non-CGC comic prices crashing in the next decade, these books could do well even if they did.

i agree with light house on the superhero thing. Niche areas which have expanded past original press runs is the way to go. you may hate vertigo or uncle scrooge, but these are areas with Incredibly high worldwide appeal, thats just the way it goes. I do think hellboy has a shot....

again i agree with horror. thats the way the cycle goes, and the 70's cycle is ready to hit. its always behind super heroes, and looks stagnant until its too late. Granted you won't see pre-code horror prices, its all relative, but a $10 book being $75 in a few years is not bad at all.

People count it out now as being too easy to find - not always true, especially above VF

people count it out as [!@#%^&^] - not true, there are dozens of areas of quality hidden in those gems the average collector doesn't even know about yet. have you LOOKED at the jaw dropping & overly violent Art Suydam works in those mid to late 70's dc books?!?!?!

Were you all paying attention when those Kaluta covers were posted on these boards, people went NUTS for them. Have you seen the cover to weird war #72, it couldn't be in worse exploitative taste!

people say it isn't super hero, it won't hold up - not true. Pulps are a pretty dead market, yet gruesome horror covers still sell for $$$. Quality will always sell itself, regardless.