• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

And IMO Marvel Comics 1 is a better cover than Tec 27.
:o

sorry, even though I have a marvel 1 for sale, I gotta say that Tec 27 is a little better (IMO)... but, I think most agree Marvel 1 is the 3rd most important book in the hobby... just a perception of how close to #1 and #2 ...

your truly,

biased Marvel 1 seller lol

I think it is significantly a better cover than Marvel 1. Clearly Marvel 1 is #3, but you are right, it is the distance between #'s 2 and 3 that can be argued. I personally fell it is a very wide margin. Although, I sure would like to conquer Marvel 1 one day, as it is the only one I haven't owned of all the big books.

:wishluck:

Marvel 1 is going to start losing ground over time. Not quite in Whiz 1 fashion but when you start comparing it to Superman 1, AF 15, Batman 1 and maybe even Captain America 1, Action 7, Tec 1, 29, 31, or FF 1 as well. It really starts to seem like a peer to those rather than a peer to Action 1 or Tec 27

One of the big things going for Marvel 1 is its past history as a record breaker for sales prices. OK fine. But grade for grade I'd take Sup 1 Batman 1 and Cap 1 over MC 1. I'd also take a FF1 and AF 15 at the same level of CGC scarcity. I think more and more folks are also moving in that direction.

It'll always be a top 10 book just not a top 3 book IMO.

Ed

Marvel #1 is a weak book right now. Maybe it's because of the seemingly endless supply of 8.+ copies we've seen over the past ten years, but it's not a strong book price-wise. Whiz #2 redux? Who knows.

If it really is #3, then it's a huge gap between #2 and #3. Personally, I think Superman #1, especially in high grade, is a stronger book.

I know what you're saying and agree, even if I can't believe you're comparing it to whiz 2 :) I always chalked it up to subby and torch not being too relevant in comics anymore - when marvel 1 was the big dog was around the end of byrne's ff run, was it not? which would make sense given the torch/subby connection. And even among GA collectors torch/subby/cap always effectively tied in the hearts and minds of collectors many years ago, and now it seems like cap, the only one of the three characters not showing up in marvel 1, is the clear #1 timely character in popularity. Maybe because he still has a bigger continuing presence in comics (shrug) Hence your whiz lite comment, I guess.

when you say endless supply, how many are we talking?

for my money its #4 just because I appreciate supes 1 more than I used to, not because I like marvel 1 less. Its the only book I can think of with two major GA first appearances (mpfw debate aside) - how cool is that?

Here are all the high grade copies I know of. Those in bold have traded hands (sometimes multiple times) in the past ten years.

Marvel Comics #1 Allentown “NM”/ VF+

Marvel Comics #1 Church 9.8

Marvel Comics #1 Denver 8.5 CGC Heritage Sale 172,500

Marvel Comics #1 Chicago

Marvel Comics #1 Pay Copy 9.0 CGC 350,000

Heritage Sale - 201,250

New Data from August 2,2007 Heritage Sale 204,999.99

Marvel Comics #1 9.0 CGC Sold for 126,500 as CGC 8.5 161,000

Marvel Comics #1 Larson 8.0 OS 29 Sales Data- $48,000

OS 28 Sales Data- $41,400

Graded 84 by Sotheby’s

Sold November 2006 at Heritage for 101,575 Sold November 2007 for….$89,625.00

for my money its #4 just because I appreciate supes 1 more than I used to, not because I like marvel 1 less. Its the only book I can think of with two major GA first appearances (mpfw debate aside) - how cool is that?

Do you count Batman #1's intros as "major"?

Do you count Batman #1's intros as "major"?

good point; surprised I didn't think of that, but then I don't put that much stock into the villains' first app's.

Here are all the high grade copies I know of. Those in bold have traded hands (sometimes multiple times) in the past ten years.

Marvel Comics #1 Allentown “NM”/ VF+

Marvel Comics #1 Church 9.8

Marvel Comics #1 Denver 8.5 CGC Heritage Sale 172,500

Marvel Comics #1 Chicago

Marvel Comics #1 Pay Copy 9.0 CGC 350,000

Heritage Sale - 201,250

New Data from August 2,2007 Heritage Sale 204,999.99

Marvel Comics #1 9.0 CGC Sold for 126,500 as CGC 8.5 161,000

Marvel Comics #1 Larson 8.0 OS 29 Sales Data- $48,000

OS 28 Sales Data- $41,400

Graded 84 by Sotheby’s

Sold November 2006 at Heritage for 101,575 Sold November 2007 for….$89,625.00

cool, thanks rob. really that's not a ton of copies but they are actually trading unlike the other big books

I was talking with John Snyder about Marvel #1 not too long ago and a couple of points we discussed were 1) there are an amazing number of pedigree copies of Marvel #1 out there, and 2) for the most part all of them have turned up in the last 20 years, meaning that Marvel #1 is more abundant now than at any time during organized collecting (which could really be said for most books, but is remarkable when you think of it in terms of a 1930s key GA book).

When John bought the Church (then just Mile High) copy of Marvel #1 back in the mid 70s, there wasn't even another close competitor. There was no Pay Copy, no Denver copy, no Allentown, Larson, etc. John told me that back then, Marvel #1 was considered one of the two or three rarest of the major GA keys. Until the Church copy appeared a solid Fine was perhaps the best copy known.

When Vinnie starts doing ComicZone Radio interviews again he really should consider sitting down and talking with Snyder. There really wasn't a more high profile collector/investor at the very start of the price explosion.

When John bought the Church (then just Mile High) copy of Marvel #1 back in the mid 70s, there wasn't even another close competitor. There was no Pay Copy, no Denver copy, no Allentown, Larson, etc. John told me that back then, Marvel #1 was considered one of the two or three rarest of the major GA keys. Until the Church copy appeared a solid Fine was perhaps the best copy known.

that's really interesting. It makes sense since so many are pedigree copies, but it's fascinating to have it spelled out.

Who knows if Marvel 1 will take a backseat to sup 1 or Bat 1 only time will tell. As for Marvel 1 falling back behind ff 1 or af 15 is a strong statement. Still I beleiev that Marvel. With the torch leaping out is a better cover than a tiny Batman swinging on a rope and some villain holdinga gun in a very awkward position. But I'm only talking about the cover here not the value.....or marvel jumping ahead of the tec 27, I know that will not happen.

I know what you're saying and agree, even if I can't believe you're comparing it to whiz 2 :) I always chalked it up to subby and torch not being too relevant in comics anymore - when marvel 1 was the big dog was around the end of byrne's ff run, was it not? which would make sense given the torch/subby connection.

I always felt that the strength of marvel 1 had much more to do with the fact that it is the first Marvel. I was just into my active collecting years as a kid and young man in the late 70's and thru much of the 80's when Marvel 1 was considered either THE book or in the conversation as being on par with Action 1 and Tec 27. Silver marvels were the books that all of us wanted, Superman and Batman were cool but were ultimately considered the heroes of our father's generation at the time. Marvel as a company was hot, it seemed natural to look to its first comic as something that was incredibly desirable.

that's really interesting. It makes sense since so many are pedigree copies, but it's fascinating to have it spelled out.

what is even more interesting, in talking with stever ritter (pedigree book author) and other collectors about Marvel1 this weekend, we kind of noted that of pedigree's, there seem to be "fewer" Ped copies of Marvel 1, when compared to, say Batman 1 or Superman 1 or Action 1, etc...

maybe the deceptive part is that these copies (like the Kansas City and the Denver and the Larson) have been listed and sold multiple times of late, but if you look across the gambit of all the major GA peds, Marvel 1 is the LEAST represented "key #1"....just food for thought...the perception vs reality thing

what is even more interesting, in talking with stever ritter (pedigree book author) and other collectors about Marvel1 this weekend, we kind of noted that of pedigree's, there seem to be "fewer" Ped copies of Marvel 1, when compared to, say Batman 1 or Superman 1 or Action 1, etc...

maybe the deceptive part is that these copies (like the Kansas City and the Denver and the Larson) have been listed and sold multiple times of late, but if you look across the gambit of all the major GA peds, Marvel 1 is the LEAST represented "key #1"....just food for thought...the perception vs reality thing

How are the chicken nuggets?

I think that collector, comic historians and investors look at the books a bit differently. Investors are going to stick with the high dollar items along with high status items. Nothing higher than Action 1 and Tec 27, Collectors are going to be basing their choice on a more emotional basis. So collectors like me, who could never afford and Action 1 or any book in that kind of price range are more at liberty to choose other great books as our top choice, Most comic historians and correct me if I'm wrong here, are pretty much going to favor Action 1.

I was talking with John Snyder about Marvel #1 not too long ago and a couple of points we discussed were 1) there are an amazing number of pedigree copies of Marvel #1 out there, and 2) for the most part all of them have turned up in the last 20 years, meaning that Marvel #1 is more abundant now than at any time during organized collecting (which could really be said for most books, but is remarkable when you think of it in terms of a 1930s key GA book).

When Vinnie starts doing ComicZone Radio interviews again he really should consider sitting down and talking with Snyder. There really wasn't a more high profile collector/investor at the very start of the price explosion.

It was interesting to see Dave Anderson recently auction a copy that was 5.0ish, but the description noted it as a famous & valued copy due to its grade (at least among the old school). That would go right along with what you're saying.

You must be joking comparing it to Action #1.

There are three ped copies, right? (Church, Larson, and KC) - that's it.

Of course it's more common than Batman #1 - bats is the most common of all the GA keys.

How are the chicken nuggets?

tasty with BBQ sauce :cloud9:

You must be joking comparing it to Action #1.

There are three ped copies, right? (Church, Larson, and KC) - that's it.

Of course it's more common than Batman #1 - bats is the most common of all the GA keys.

Crow,

Just out of curiosity, what supes 1 peds are out there?