• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

yes, I threw Action 1 in for "fun" (make sure folks are paying attention)...and Tec 27 is very close in Ped #'s (this one, I believe there are more peds than marvel 1) , but as far as Ped's go for Marvel 1, no Nova Scotia or San Fran or Chicago or Cosmic Aeroplane or Crippin/D or Hawkeye or Recil Macon or Spokane or Lost Valley or Okajima or Penn, etc...

from that standpoint, outside of the big "2" (and as mentioned, tec 27 might have as many or more), there are fewer Marvel1 Peds than folks might "think" due to the auctioning of the same 3-4 ped copies

Spokane? Might as well go ahead and note that there is no Marvel #1 in the Curator or Pacific Coast collections also.

Let's at least stick to similar time periods.

Gator: Is that the Spokane copy of Marvel #1?

Crow: Spokane? That book has never even been in an airplane that flew over Spokane.

:baiting:

I hear you, but remember, I have a Ped Marvel 1 for sale, so I am bit "biased" right now lol

Rick: I know exactly what conversation you had with Ritter, as I had the exact same one with him during the weekend. Of course I'm a little biased as well, being one of those guys looking to buy your copy :devil:

Jim

indeed you are Jim...indeed you are :wishluck:

Would the tec be the number 1 book then? Would marvel 1 be a close tie with the other 2? I am having a difficult time even thinking Marvel 1 is not the no. 3 book.

No question Marvel Comics #1 is no worse than #3 on the all-time list. Everything else is on a different level.

no worse than #4. I think 1 & 2 are close and 3&4 are close

Hey Steve,

what if I want to change my vote to the 250-350K now that I've seen the better scans?

There's no way to cancel a vote?

Who do you think I am......Robojo33?

I can't magically make changes so that things can be manipulated after the fact! :insane:

Hey Steve,

what if I want to change my vote to the 250-350K now that I've seen the better scans?

I can't magically make changes so that things can be manipulated after the fact! :insane:

that was actually kind of funny :P

Hey Steve,

that was actually kind of funny :P

:acclaim:

I was talking with John Snyder about Marvel #1 not too long ago and a couple of points we discussed were 1) there are an amazing number of pedigree copies of Marvel #1 out there, and 2) for the most part all of them have turned up in the last 20 years, meaning that Marvel #1 is more abundant now than at any time during organized collecting (which could really be said for most books, but is remarkable when you think of it in terms of a 1930s key GA book).

When John bought the Church (then just Mile High) copy of Marvel #1 back in the mid 70s, there wasn't even another close competitor. There was no Pay Copy, no Denver copy, no Allentown, Larson, etc. John told me that back then, Marvel #1 was considered one of the two or three rarest of the major GA keys. Until the Church copy appeared a solid Fine was perhaps the best copy known.

When Vinnie starts doing ComicZone Radio interviews again he really should consider sitting down and talking with Snyder. There really wasn't a more high profile collector/investor at the very start of the price explosion.

Great point! The number of MC #1s for sale in recent years certainly seems to have dwarfed even the other major keys generally considered to be relatively plentiful (Batman #1 and Captain America #1).

Hey Steve,

that is what I voted for (thumbs u

and me (thumbs u

Ah what do you guys know?

:insane:

Would the tec be the number 1 book then?

That's really impossible to say, because it would depend on whether Batman appearing in 1937 would have had the same impact as Superman's appearance (i.e., starting the superhero revolution). Because Batman appeared after Superman had already broken ground, we'll never know if Batman would have stood on his own two feet or if he would have become a footnote to history if Superman hadn't primed the market for the arrival of more costumed heros.

My personal opinion is that if Batman had come first, he would have withered away because he wouldn't have grabbed the public's attention in the same way that Superman did.

I was talking with John Snyder about Marvel #1 not too long ago and a couple of points we discussed were 1) there are an amazing number of pedigree copies of Marvel #1 out there, and 2) for the most part all of them have turned up in the last 20 years, meaning that Marvel #1 is more abundant now than at any time during organized collecting (which could really be said for most books, but is remarkable when you think of it in terms of a 1930s key GA book).

When John bought the Church (then just Mile High) copy of Marvel #1 back in the mid 70s, there wasn't even another close competitor. There was no Pay Copy, no Denver copy, no Allentown, Larson, etc. John told me that back then, Marvel #1 was considered one of the two or three rarest of the major GA keys. Until the Church copy appeared a solid Fine was perhaps the best copy known.

When Vinnie starts doing ComicZone Radio interviews again he really should consider sitting down and talking with Snyder. There really wasn't a more high profile collector/investor at the very start of the price explosion.

Great point! The number of MC #1s for sale in recent years certainly seems to have dwarfed even the other major keys generally considered to be relatively plentiful (Batman #1 and Captain America #1).

I wouldn't say Cap #1 as there are plenty of those floating around but Batman #1 for sure.

Why is it that there are so many more MC #1 copies floating around...relatively speaking when comparing other keys from the era? Is it because they came out a year or two later than the rest and so publishers met demand whereas the earlier hero titles were caught by surprise?

I wouldn't say Cap #1 as there are plenty of those floating around but Batman #1 for sure.

Why is it that there are so many more MC #1 copies floating around...relatively speaking when comparing other keys from the era? Is it because they came out a year or two later than the rest and so publishers met demand whereas the earlier hero titles were caught by surprise?

I can tell you, that in the last 5 years, there have been as many Superman 1's out there as Marvel 1 (many more restored)...but, by my count, I have seen over 40 superman 1's and 35 marvel 1's... and yes, I am keeping count :insane:

Would the tec be the number 1 book then?

That's really impossible to say, because it would depend on whether Batman appearing in 1937 would have had the same impact as Superman's appearance (i.e., starting the superhero revolution). Because Batman appeared after Superman had already broken ground, we'll never know if Batman would have stood on his own two feet or if he would have become a footnote to history if Superman hadn't primed the market for the arrival of more costumed heros.

My personal opinion is that if Batman had come first, he would have withered away because he wouldn't have grabbed the public's attention in the same way that Superman did.

I agree. Superman was beyond the imagination of most people at the time. I believe he really did set the path for men in tights and capes.

I can tell you, that in the last 5 years, there have been as many Superman 1's out there as Marvel 1 (many more restored)...but, by my count, I have seen over 40 superman 1's and 35 marvel 1's... and yes, I am keeping count :insane:

That would kind of make sense since Superman #1 had three printings, and Marvel #1 had two.

Well for all you guys out there who have the money for the 1. Someone who had passed some advice to me in the last auction will be passed on to you, "If you want to get the book for a reasonable price DO NOT bid early OR often". Then there is a possibility to win the book in the lower hundreds of ks brackets. Recently I made the mistake bidding on a Action 19 quickly and often, only to run it up in the 2k dept. in just a few days and that annoyed me.......the same is said for the CL Adv 40 and the AA 16s in the upcoming auction..... wait and wait some more, keep those bids in the low ks.

Now is the person correct in what he told me? well time will tell in the next few auctions, and if it doesn't work, then I know it was not my idea in the first place.

Well for all you guys out there who have the money for the 1. Someone who had passed some advice to me in the last auction will be passed on to you, "If you want to get the book for a reasonable price DO NOT bid early OR often". Then there is a possibility to win the book in the lower hundreds of ks brackets. Recently I made the mistake bidding on a Action 19 quickly and often, only to run it up in the 2k dept. in just a few days and that annoyed me.......the same is said for the CL Adv 40 and the AA 16s in the upcoming auction..... wait and wait some more, keep those bids in the low ks.

Now is the person correct in what he told me? well time will tell in the next few auctions, and if it doesn't work, then I know it was not my idea in the first place.

I don't think bidding early or late will affect the final outcome on a big book like this. Keeping the action low on a small book on eBay or Comiclink so that it doesn't attract attention, allowing you to swoop in with a last second snipe, might help you win that kind of book more cheaply. But whether there is early bidding action or not on a book like this, it obviously will not fly under the radar and will not affect in the slightest the minimum price that the big guns are willing to pay. For example, if the book quickly jumps out to $450K, then Rick will be out regardless. But if the book did nothing until the last minute, Rick still won't win it for $200K or whatever it is he's willing to pay, because the guy who was willing to bid $450K is still going to bid $450K.

Anyways, I believe CC has an anti-sniping mechanism so any last minute bid will automatically extend the bidding for an additional 15 minutes. So regardless of whether there was a lot of price action during the first 3 weeks of bidding, it will be the frenzy of the final bidding that will drive up prices, not the fact that it hit $450K on Day 1 of bidding.