• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

I would be shocked if it sold OVER $500,000. hm

I am thinking I will be shocked if it sells over $350,000 but... I really am just guessing like everyone else... unless you know, first hand and with some certainty, that 2 individuals are willing to bid to $X, it is all just speculation...

my guess comes from a premium above which I am willing to bid, so I say my guess is the most credible in the ENTIRE thread :baiting:

I guess I'm comparing it to the Action 7 that went for crazy money. I'd be surprised if it went for less than 500k.
this is not just direct at you ed, or anyone else for that matter, but who are these bidders that are going to pony up $500,000 for the action 1?

there was a reason why the action 7 went for what it did, but I would consider that sale the exception, not the rule...

I am just curious..folks are giving numbers, but not supporting those numbers, so I am very interested in hearing "why"

Not being a bidder myself....I'd say you're looking at the 300-400K range.

How many multi millionaires have been waiting for a mid to high grade action 1 to add to their portfolio.

They are getting prepared to scoop up cheap stocks right now with a ton of upside potential.

I guess I'm comparing it to the Action 7 that went for crazy money. I'd be surprised if it went for less than 500k.
this is not just direct at you ed, or anyone else for that matter, but who are these bidders that are going to pony up $500,000 for the action 1?

there was a reason why the action 7 went for what it did, but I would consider that sale the exception, not the rule...

I am just curious..folks are giving numbers, but not supporting those numbers, so I am very interested in hearing "why"

I just think we've all been drooling at the mouth for a bona fide nice action 1 to sell at auction to get a better sense for the top of the market. A lot of pent-up fanboy hysteria! :sumo:

It's all speculation but my reasoning is this

Unrestored Actions basically never sell. Or have limited data points. The 6.0 is probably the best one for sale in the past 10 years and probably forward 10 years or more. It's reasonably graded, very clean, no notes, good paper quality (with pics backing up what is arguably harsh CGC grading on the page quality)

I think the 4.0 sale for $200k in 2006 was just prior to early Actions going crazy.

I don't know who the buyers were for the Action 7 but who's to say the Action 1 can't be a one off in it's own right. I expect that to be honest. Which is more probable? That there will be multiple (3 to 10) collectors willing to pay "anything" for this book, or that there are zero or only one "crazy" bidder and everyone else will bid conservatively? I pick the former.

Unrestored Comic ubber-keys have really blazed higher not just over the past 5 years but the past year specifically. AF 15 and other Spideys, Action 7, Tec 27 29 31 35, Avengers 1, High grade Ducks, Pep 22, Archie 1, and on and on. We all know the exponential aspect of comics (high grade or key issues being worth 10x or 1000x average issues), and with Action being the best key there is, I expect that exponential price to hit full force.

Comics are IMO a better collectible than coins, stamps and baseball cards, yet all three of those have had multi million dollar sales while comics can't even break the 500k barrier. I'll grant, a higher graded Tec 27 or Action would fetch 1 Million+, but comics are taking on the mantle of "best collectible" I will also grant my bias but when an honus Wagner or Double eagle or inverted Jenny take in 2-3 Million, why won't one of the top copies of Action even fetch 500k. 300k just seems whimpy.

Finally, there are a lot of people out there with a lot of money that are looking for places to put it. I mean there is a lot of stupid/smart crazy(like a fox) rich folks where 1 million isn't even a sneeze. The only they fear is looking foolish as they pay too much.

It's all speculation but my reasoning is this

Unrestored Actions basically never sell. Or have limited data points. The 6.0 is probably the best one for sale in the past 10 years and probably forward 10 years or more. It's reasonably graded, very clean, no notes, good paper quality (with pics backing up what is arguably harsh CGC grading on the page quality)

I think the 4.0 sale for $200k in 2006 was just prior to early Actions going crazy.

I don't know who the buyers were for the Action 7 but who's to say the Action 1 can't be a one off in it's own right. I expect that to be honest. Which is more probable? That there will be multiple (3 to 10) collectors willing to pay "anything" for this book, or that there are zero or only one "crazy" bidder and everyone else will bid conservatively? I pick the former.

Unrestored Comic ubber-keys have really blazed higher not just over the past 5 years but the past year specifically. AF 15 and other Spideys, Action 7, Tec 27 29 31 35, Avengers 1, High grade Ducks, Pep 22, Archie 1, and on and on. We all know the exponential aspect of comics (high grade or key issues being worth 10x or 1000x average issues), and with Action being the best key there is, I expect that exponential price to hit full force.

Comics are IMO a better collectible than coins, stamps and baseball cards, yet all three of those have had multi million dollar sales while comics can't even break the 500k barrier. I'll grant, a higher graded Tec 27 or Action would fetch 1 Million+, but comics are taking on the mantle of "best collectible" I will also grant my bias but when an honus Wagner or Double eagle or inverted Jenny take in 2-3 Million, why won't one of the top copies of Action even fetch 500k. 300k just seems whimpy.

Finally, there are a lot of people out there with a lot of money that are looking for places to put it. I mean there is a lot of stupid/smart crazy(like a fox) rich folks where 1 million isn't even a sneeze. The only they fear is looking foolish as they pay too much.

fair enough...I was just curious.... however, there have always been a lot of crazy rich folks that have never bought comics before...right now is the time to be investing in the market, when everyone else is selling, you buy, etc...

I guess maybe if this book transcends the reg comic base, it has a chance to break $350...otherwise, most of the big comic buyers are known, and I don't see any of them (That I know of) showing interest in this book at those (500K+) levels (thumbs u

With all due respect to my inexperience in this area, but a couple of comments here just strike an off-note with me:

The 6.0 is probably the best one for sale in the past 10 years and probably forward 10 years or more.

Haven't two unrestored 6.5's sold in the past 10 years, if not much more recently?

Comics are IMO a better collectible than coins, stamps and baseball cards, yet all three of those have had multi million dollar sales while comics can't even break the 500k barrier.

Not sure what your criteria is for "better." I like comics more than coins, but coins are a much safer investment as they are far far harder to damage, don't deteriorate with the passage of time, and have a much more established market in terms of history, number of collectors, and presence of institutional investors and collectors. Baseball cards are more akin to comics, but Baseball is the national pasttime with many many new fans each year. Comics, on the other hand, appear to have an ageing and shrinking fan base.

But why would they want to put their money into a small and inefficient market that is hard to understand and has some arcane preferences and prejudices? If you want to park your money, there are many places to be parking it right now. Stocks and real estate are both far more attractive today than they were a year ago. And the art markets are more efficient, understandable, and safer. I'm not at all sure that there are many (any?) pure non-fan investors spending big bucks for comics. And, as far as I can tell, institutional investors have decided the comic market is too thin and small to interest them.

You almost make it sound like guys with money are not comic fans, grew up only reading the Wall Street journal as kids? I think the "institutional investors" you are talking about are not comic collectors and don't have an appreciation for the hobby so they will most likely not be the ones who will be bidding this book up in the final minutes.

Obviously there are rich comic collectors. But I suspect they are mostly fans with resources, not pure investors. The comic market is much smaller than coins, and does not appear to have attracted a lot of pure investors. Consider Heritage's financial results for this year:

U.S. coin auctions - $252 million;

Currency auctions - $ 41 million;

Comic books/art auctions - $21 million;

World coins auctions - $16 million.

That means that Heritage's coin market is 14 times larger than the size of its comic market, and Heritage is the only comic book auction house. Other auction houses handle coins.

My only point is that I seriously doubt someone is going to come in out of nowhere and bid big bucks on this book.