• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

I am also a vintage cel collector in addition to comics and in my humble opinion cels are more delicate than comicbooks.They are very prone to chipping with even the slightest curving of the cel.extremely delicate when it has 40 or more years added to it.I have even had cels chip while in there protective sleeves without bending.This happened to me with a key cel for Mr Magoos Christmas carol piece.

Anyway, that is just this mans opinion and experience with them.Anything can happen once that paint gets delicate.

well, I admit I was speaking mostly from a materials standpoint not an experienced one. And, yes, now that you mention it, the dried paint that could never really sink into the acetate but rather sit ON it sure would be prone to damage pretty easily especially as it got older. my bad.

Eventually I guess you end up with just a piece of clear plastic and a pile of colorful dust in the mylar etc.

Back to the thoughts in teh thread, the general consensus in comics is that Al would have been okay had he not chased so hard after animation cels. Id hate for you to follow his lead.

Yeah, but I'm not proposing to pay 6-figures (or even 5-figures) for any cel.

That's it, you guys have scared me off even thinking about buying a cel.

hm Maybe that was your plan all along.

Didn't mean to talk you out of it, tth2. I once visited a collector who had many of the Courvoisier cells and they were absolutely beautiful. He told me that the talk about the preservation issues was exaggerated and that he would only be concerned if he were to leave the cells in direct sunlight in his car during the hottest day of the summer. That reassured me somewhat, but, still, most of the Disney pieces I've seen in person have had buckling of the acetate and some had cracks and paint chipping off. You really shouldn't be scared away from buying something you enjoy, but in this case I don't think it's being overly cautious to read up on the specific issues with cells. Dried paint sitting on top of buckling acetate seems to me like an area that would only appeal to collectors with an unusually worry-free and positive outlook on the future. If crowzilla were to tell me that cells were as safe as comic books I might change my mind.

Edit: sorry to hear about your cell, a1kid, that almost hurt to read.

Just doing our job as part of the CGC Forum Sales Prevention Team. (thumbs u

Didn't mean to talk you out of it, tth2. I once visited a collector who had many of the Courvoisier cells and they were absolutely beautiful. He told me that the talk about the preservation issues was exaggerated and that he would only be concerned if he were to leave the cells in direct sunlight in his car during the hottest day of the summer. That reassured me somewhat, but, still, most of the Disney pieces I've seen in person have had buckling of the acetate and some had cracks and paint chipping off. You really shouldn't be scared away from buying something you enjoy, but in this case I don't think it's being overly cautious to read up on the specific issues with cells. Dried paint sitting on top of buckling acetate seems to me like an area that would only appeal to collectors with an unusually worry-free and positive outlook on the future. If crowzilla were to tell me that cells were as safe as comic books I might change my mind.

Edit: sorry to hear about you,r cell, a1kid, that almost hurt to read.

its cool. Wasnt one of the prize pieces.I collect cels from old christmas specials such as Magoos Xmas carol,.the Grinch,Frosty,charlie browns xmas and the great pumpkin charlie brown.Really just about anything related to the old Christmas shows.I even own the last 2 surviving puppets from Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer[[1964] This peace is the holy grail of the Holiday shows.

Already at $225,000 with 2 weeks left..... hm

It pretty much started at that.

Yes, I most definitely believe moost of the action will be in the last couple of days of the auction.

All of this prelminary bidding is really meaningless in the overall scheme of things.

Already at $225,000 with 2 weeks left..... hm

It pretty much started at that. Will the name of the winner be released? Or kept secret?

I guess it would depend on the new owner's wishes.

I predict $375K

Backing up my earlier prediction, I was on WGN radio here in Chicago on Thursday night and said it would sell for over $500,000. They're going to have me back on to discuss the hammer price when the auction's over.

read this article online re the action 1 auction.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/268011

Now I wish vince and steve the best of luck on the sale but to call comic books hard assets is flat out hilarious lol

"While the real estate market and stock market keep falling, comic book sales remain very strong," said Vincent Zurzolo, Metropolis Collectibles co-owner. "Some people are taking their money out of low-interest bank accounts and underperforming stocks and investing in hard assets like comics, coins, and other collectibles. A hard asset is an appealing alternative to a soft stock market."

I actually think a lot of collectible companies are on the verge of folding and what we're seeing now is a last gasp explosion. I think a lot of people are in deep trouble and not admitting it and we are seeing a bubble being created that going to burst rather quickly. Now is the time for bargains and I guess for suckers to pay outrageous amounts on items in which a decent return will never be realised. You do not take money out of a bank account and put it into a comic unless you will never need that money. Action 1 being an exception as it's value as an icon is well proven.

Backing up my earlier prediction, I was on WGN radio here in Chicago on Thursday night and said it would sell for over $500,000. They're going to have me back on to discuss the hammer price when the auction's over.

Awesome, Gary. (thumbs u

Please give us a "heads up" when you are on the airwaves again. I'd love to hear it.

Now I wish vince and steve the best of luck on the sale but to call comic books hard assets is flat out hilarious lol

Bronty;

What exactly would your definition of hard assets be?

Would it include such thing as real estate in Palm Springs which dropping like a rock and npbody will even touch even though there are entire sub-divisions sitting there with their For Sale signs? lol

Would it include once investment quality paper assets such as shares of Eron, Nortel, Bre-X, or any of the car companies, U.S. banks, and/or brokerage houses on Wall Street? Yes, definite high quality investments for sophisicated high brow investors. :tonofbricks:

What I find truly hilarious is how it's the corporate elite with their high brow investments who are coming cup in hand asking for billions and even trillions of dllars in handouts. I don't see any comic book collectors with their funny books in hand asking the government for big handouts. hm