• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

Probably far more than it's realistically worth. Of course Action 1 is known as the Holy Grail of our hobby, but at the same time, I think it is an over-rated book in the grand scheme of things. JMHO.

With the huge amount of A.F 15s out there...[[just cruising the internet I found 50 copies for sale within the last 60 days,and the staggering amounts there getting 40k,80k,125k,250k, I just cant see this book missing the mark on a great price.there is currently only 1 Action1 for sale and i think that 1 copy is for the last year or too.

A1K;

As I have always said, true rarity of a book can be both a positive and a negative at the same time. hm

You have already presented the case for the positive. The negative is the overall lack of pror sales to reinforce market prices or trend on an unrestored book that hardly ever comes to market.

It's simply much easier to predict market prices when you have "hundreds" of previous sales to take into account as opposed to one highlight sale out of the blue every several years.

That hypothisis certainly didnt apply to MIle High books .[especially keys]

My meaning is that there are obviously some exceptions to that general rule.You have that here.

If there is a book that is going to buck the trend of[[lack of sales to determine

fruition of potential price] Certainly this is the book that can do it.Wouldnt you agree?

and it will.

A1K;

Let me put it another way.

There seems to be a lot of question whether this book would even hit $400K right now. My bet is that if there had been a couple of other public sales of this book in a similar type grade over the past sevewral years, this particular copy would probably have no problem at all of passing the $400K barrier since it would have a stronger base from which to work with.

The market for this type of book is probably working from a $275,000 base right now and would probably be working from a markedly higher base if there were more sales of key GA books from which to work with.

The key SA books do not have this type of "price ceiling restriction" problem since they have the books out there to keep the market going on a healthy uptick. hm

$1,000,000

you never did answer Rick's question?

Is it yours? :baiting:

I think the problem with predicting the price is not the debate about the grade but the number of bidders at a particular point in time.

Pre credit crunch the number of bidders would have been substantially bigger (including myself).

Now I'm not too sure.

I think 350 is probably where it will end up but with the right wind it could be 500+

Selling by auction rather than private sale is probably the right move (speaking as one who in auction fever has paid way too much for a number of books just to win it).

If any book this year is going to be subject to auction fever bidding its this one.

Probably far more than it's realistically worth. Of course Action 1 is known as the Holy Grail of our hobby, but at the same time, I think it is an over-rated book in the grand scheme of things. JMHO.

I do think some of the value thrown around here seem to be out of whack. However, notion of Action #1 being over-rated is a concept that I cannot get my head around. Can you find a 2nd person who thinks action 1 is over-rated. Possibly not.

I do think some of the value thrown around here seem to be out of whack. However, notion of Action #1 being over-rated is a concept that I cannot get my head around. Can you find a 2nd person who thinks action 1 is over-rated. Possibly not.

I would think many more actually feel this way than would care to admit.

and I think you're puffin' some contraband! Its the single most important book in the hobby, period.

I will throw my opinion out there. At $350k+, yes, I think it is an insane price.

Is it a rare book in this grade? you bet!

Is it a key book in the overall comic and American pop culture? In a HUGE way

Is $350k a lot for a mid grade comic? he!! yea !

Time will tell what the final hammer will be.

I don't know if you're for real or are just trolling, but you're wrong about that. Ask anyone that was in the room with Win's Action #1 a few years ago- a room full of collectors positively geeking out at the opportunity to inspect it.

Considering that this appears to be shaping up as one of the highest-profile single comic book sales in some time, if it does hit a record number, it'll be interesting to see if it brings anything fresh to the market in its wake.

It will. Consider the SA Marvels (Keys and HG semi-keys) that have been spiking up in auction sales. People that spent $300-400 on a book a few years ago and are seeing the same book sell for $8-10K are going to try to jump on the bandwagon....

If the Action #1 brings a record price, you will see more (probably lower grade) come out of the woodwork to try to exponentiate their original purchase. Especially the way the economy is hitting folks nowadays...

I don't know if you're for real or are just trolling, but you're wrong about that. Ask anyone that was in the room with Win's Action #1 a few years ago- a room full of collectors positively geeking out at the opportunity to inspect it.

I believe Win bought his Action #1 from Metropolis. So did Action1kid. They really seem to turn those bad boys up.

and I think you're puffin' some contraband! Its the single most important book in the hobby, period.

I'm not debating that fact (that it's the single most important book in the hobby, not that I puff contraband) (tsk)

What I'm saying is from a monetary standpoint of what the Action 1 is allegedly valued at, I think is far over-rated compared to numerous other titles/keys. I just don't think that it is that much more of a "special" book compared to the Top 20 or so GA keys.

Is $350k a lot for a mid grade comic? he!! yea !

I think you're the first person I've ever heard refer to an unrestored Fine Action #1 as being mid-grade. I don't know you at all, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have a much broader SA/BA background than GA?

I just don't think that it is that much more of a "special" book compared to the Top 20 or so GA keys.

Although that is what makes collecting, and these forums great, is the differences of opinion, I have to agree with Rob (and everyone else) that you are way off. It is much more special than any of the other top 20 books (and extra especially more so than whatever books you decide make up about #s 8-20)

I'm not debating that fact (that it's the single most important book in the hobby, not that I puff contraband) (tsk)

What I'm saying is from a monetary standpoint of what the Action 1 is allegedly valued at, I think is far over-rated compared to numerous other titles/keys. I just don't think that it is that much more of a "special" book compared to the Top 20 or so GA keys.

well how the heck can you say, in the same breath, that its the most important book in the hobby and yet overvalued compared to other books that are less important by your own admission?? It's not even worth that much more than other books in the top 5. barely worth more than a tec 27.