• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most valuable DC Horror book?

61 posts in this topic

So a fellow board member listed his incredible House of Mysetery 175 CGC 9.6 on ComicLink, and it prompted a conversation between myself and aonther bronze age collector about what is the most valuable BA DC Horror book.

Is it a 9.6 HOM 174 (first SA/BA horror, reprint stories, classic cover)

is it the one and only 9.6 HOM 175 (Oakland copy, first Neal Adams horror cover, new stories, first appearance of Cain)

Is it the 9.6 HOM 179 (first Wrightson art)

is it one of a few 9.6 HOS 92 (first Swamp Thing, classic Wrightson cover)

or something not mentioned?

According to GPA a 9.6 HOS 92 has sold for over 4K

The CGC census says:

there are three 174's in 9.6 and 8 in 9.4

there is one 175 in 9.6 and one in 9.4

there is one 179 in 9.6 and 3 in 9.4

there is 8 HOS 92 in 9.6 and 23 in 9.4 with over 500 graded.

So what do you think?

I don't thins the HOS 92 is a slam dunk.

Have any of the 100 pagers ever broke 1K?

It is a slam dunk if you're talking about consistent repeated sales.

Sure a 9.6 HOM 175 or 179 may do better at a one time auction but would it happen the next time when one of the bidders is taken out of the equation? Do you think that the HOM 205 CGC 9.6 that sold at CL's auction for $1300+ last year a true indication of its value? I can't see that price ever happening.

As far as I know, no 100 pagers have sold for a $1K if you discount the 9.4 DC 4 that sold at Pedigree a few months back for $2K.

Any HOM or Unexpected 100 pagers will have to be a 9.8 and have too every enthusiastic bidders to get it over the $1K mark. But will it be repeated for the same book the next time?

The 175 and 179 are not just run of the mill issues that are in lesser supply, they are major keys that are so much more difficult to find in the higher grade that they lack the sales history of the HOS 92 which is darn near abundant in any grade.

The 175 and 179 dont have high census numbers because they are not popular, they have low census numbers because there are not very many.

10 years of slabbing to get one 9.6 175? And only one 179 on census already?

I would argue all day long that both of those issues are big time horror keys.

I of course have a biased opinion since I put the HOM 175 in the Comiclink auction, but based on census numbers and the key first appearance of Cain, I feel this book should be worth more. That being said, my favorite book of the ones Danny listed is HOS 92.

Ken

I of course have a biased opinion since I put the HOM 175 in the Comiclink auction, but based on census numbers and the key first appearance of Cain, I feel this book should be worth more. That being said, my favorite book of the ones Danny listed is HOS 92.

Ken

I wish you all the best of luck with your auction because it's going to go for good money. However, I really see the buzz for the first Cain or first Abel for that instance (whether you think it's HOS 81 or DC Special 4).

HOS 92s have sold for $4K+ in the past on numerous occasions. Do I see this book hitting this level? If it was a Marvel with similar qualities as a book I would say definitely but this is a DC. Also, whether you agree or not, the DC horror market is down from a few years ago. Having said that, the ones that care will bid high and hard for it. $4K level? It remains to be seen. Multiple $4K level sales, I'll seriously doubt that.

Ken

I wish you all the best of luck with your auction because it's going to go for good money. However, I really see the buzz for the first Cain or first Abel for that instance (whether you think it's HOS 81 or DC Special 4).

HOS 92s have sold for $4K+ in the past on numerous occasions. Do I see this book hitting this level? If it was a Marvel with similar qualities as a book I would say definitely but this is a DC. Also, whether you agree or not, the DC horror market is down from a few years ago. Having said that, the ones that care will bid high and hard for it. $4K level? It remains to be seen. Multiple $4K level sales, I'll seriously doubt that.

I agree that there won't be multiple $4K sales because this is the only 9.6 copy FOREVER!!!! :baiting:

Ken

Ken

I agree that there won't be multiple $4K sales because this is the only 9.6 copy FOREVER!!!! :baiting:

Ken

Stop living in your dream world. Be happy that you're going to bend someone over first. :flamed:

Ken

Ken

Stop living in your dream world. Be happy that you're going to bend someone over first. :flamed:

lol Greggy!

I don't thins the HOS 92 is a slam dunk.

Have any of the 100 pagers ever broke 1K?

It is a slam dunk if you're talking about consistent repeated sales.

Sure a 9.6 HOM 175 or 179 may do better at a one time auction but would it happen the next time when one of the bidders is taken out of the equation? Do you think that the HOM 205 CGC 9.6 that sold at CL's auction for $1300+ last year a true indication of its value? I can't see that price ever happening.

As far as I know, no 100 pagers have sold for a $1K if you discount the 9.4 DC 4 that sold at Pedigree a few months back for $2K.

Any HOM or Unexpected 100 pagers will have to be a 9.8 and have too every enthusiastic bidders to get it over the $1K mark. But will it be repeated for the same book the next time?

The HOM 229 9.6 went for $700 in the Comic Connect auction.

I hear Unexpected 161 is hard to find in high grade.

I think both might top the $1,000 mark in 9.8, especially the Unexpected.

A DC 4 in 9.8 may break the $4,000 mark, but I don't think it could compete with a HOS 92 in 9.8.

Ken

Ken

I hope it's you.

Ken

Ken

Ken

I thought about this....a cosigner to a auction doesn't "bend" anyone over....the bidders bend each other over! lol

Ken

Ken

I hope it's you.

Ken

You won't bend me over anymore :shy: