• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on an Avengers 4 i bought off ebay...

55 posts in this topic

Again, we need more details.

1) Who sold you the book?

2) What do both of the labels say?

Who needs facts when we can create tension and drama?

Im sorry...just new to all of this..trying to make sense...I understand if someone has a RAW copy of a book with an old cgc label..BUT....to not disclose ALL restoration is wrong...and evidently CGC stated there was more going on...But, how common is it to have a book come back from CGC re submitted so many points off?? I mean a 9.4 to a 9.0?? Is cgc that RELATIVE? If so, how can we trust them?

It's extremely common in an art as subjective as grading. Their grade is an opinion, and opinions are subject to change and revision.

You see a beautiful woman and think, "that's the most gorgeous woman on the planet". Then a week later, you see a woman "who blows her away, what was I thinking?".

CGC 7.5s later are slabbed 9.2, and vice versa, even restored and unrestored comics changing label colors on consecutive submisions.

You might grade a comic VF+ in 2007 and in 2009 look at it and think, "this comic is gorgeous, what did I see to not give it a NM-?" Or , "what a dreck, I graded this VF+??"

It has nothing to do with dishonesty or irresponsibility. CGC is above board and does gives 100% all the time, like many graders who sell comics. It's just that a humans, opinion change, and grade opinions are one of these subjective things subject to revision and change through time and a second consideration.

Ergo the motto, "Buy the book, not the label".

Yeah i understand where you are coming from Comic King..it is just my experience in the past when I have re-submitted a book, it never has came back substantially different.

Depends on how many you've submitted. If you've submitted enough, chances favor a different outcome if resubbed.

Then again, it is possible that the label shown with the comic was from another comic! Could have been an accident, the seller mixing up a label. I'm not accusing, but you can't rule that out before pointing fingers at CGC for inconsistancy.

hahaha...old label said 9.4--color touch, cover cleaned...re submitted to cgc...9.0-staples cleaned, color touch, piece added...

I can't imagine CGC missing the added piece the first time around. They are very good at detecting restoration and added pieces should jump out at them.

Im sorry...just new to all of this..trying to make sense...I understand if someone has a RAW copy of a book with an old cgc label..BUT....to not disclose ALL restoration is wrong...and evidently CGC stated there was more going on...But, how common is it to have a book come back from CGC re submitted so many points off?? I mean a 9.4 to a 9.0?? Is cgc that RELATIVE? If so, how can we trust them?

It's extremely common in an art as subjective as grading. Their grade is an opinion, and opinions are subject to change and revision.

You see a beautiful woman and think, "that's the most gorgeous woman on the planet". Then a week later, you see a woman "who blows her away, what was I thinking?".

CGC 7.5s later are slabbed 9.2, and vice versa, even restored and unrestored comics changing label colors on consecutive submisions.

You might grade a comic VF+ in 2007 and in 2009 look at it and think, "this comic is gorgeous, what did I see to not give it a NM-?" Or , "what a dreck, I graded this VF+??"

It has nothing to do with dishonesty or irresponsibility. CGC is above board and does gives 100% all the time, like many graders who sell comics. It's just that a humans, opinion change, and grade opinions are one of these subjective things subject to revision and change through time and a second consideration.

So is this what lets you go to sleep at night when you sell a CGC graded 7.5 as a 9.2?

So is this what lets you go to sleep at night when you sell a CGC graded 7.5 as a 9.2?

Well obviously you think that book has a chance at a 9.6, right? otherwise wtf are you doing putting 9.6 in the title.

If I had a ASM 2 that I thought had a real shot at a blue lable 9.6 I'd send it in.

You would be stupid not to see if you could realize a cgc 9.6 at the tune of 72k

That's all I'm saying...

Everything I buy raw gets listed raw.

Everything I buy slabbed gets listed slabbed.

No exceptions.

Its funny you should say that Perry......

ATTN: BIGGEST LIAR ON THE BOARDS

Ok folks, step right up and view THIS while you can...cause I am sure his photobucket acct will be deleted or private in no time.

2 of the slabs in his acct. are up right now on Ebay and are raw and WAY over graded!!!

the first one....original CGC grade before he cracked it out and put it for auction

GL40CGC75.jpg

HIS GRADED IN AUCTION...9.4 - 9.6

super cracker

NEXT UP A CRACKED RESTORED BOOK....

9.4 restored

REAL GRADE

Xmen65CTcgc70mystery.jpg

Now I am sure this images wont last long so I have saved them in my acct as well...so when they get deleted, I will repost them :devil:

:acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

I bought it as a raw 9.4 in a misgraded 7.5 slab. It' gorgeous.

And I imagine that I'm sleeping as well as any seller who ever cracked a CGC 7.5, resubbed it for a 9.2 or 9.4, and resold it for 10 times what they paid, because he recognized that it was undergraded.

And I imagine that I'm sleeping as well as any seller who ever cracked a CGC 7.5, resubbed it for a 9.2 or 9.4, and resold it for 10 times what they paid, because he recognized that it was undergraded.

And this is why you are hated. Just remember that. Cracking out mid graded CGC and reselling them as high grade comics is ethically wrong. I know you can't see that, but it is.

And this is why you are hated. Just remember that. Cracking out mid graded CGC and reselling them as high grade comics is ethically wrong. I know you can't see that, but it is.

Why not post the scan in the "grade my GL 40" thread and see how many grade it 7.5?

I don't see this as a 7.5 in any way, shape or form. It was a NM book in a 7.5 slab an the first time it was graded for my seller, he got a CGC 9.2 on it, which he thought was low, and why he resubbed it.