• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

College Paper on Comic Books

31 posts in this topic

Well, I'm taking this History class dealing with art. Now, I was thinking of covering comics during the World War II era, especially Captain America and similar titles that might have to do with propaganda and public sentiment during the war. I am not at all that knowledgeable on GA stuff. Also, anyone know of any good scholarly type articles/books on the topic? Or authors who write on the history of comics?

I would get the Steranko History of Comics to begin with. There was also a very informative documentary the History Channel put out as well. Lastly, 10 Cent Plague would be something worth examining as well. Hope this helps!

Damn Mac, THANK FREAKING YOU

I typed it Steranko in my Library search and we have 8 copies at 4 different libraries on campus..Sweet. Plus, the book was listed under the Library of Congress subject heading, Comic books, strips, etc.--History and Criticism. :)

What about The Great Comic Book Heroes by Jules Feiffer? I haven't read it so I can't comment on it's value.

A few others below - The only one I own below is the first one (there's one more that I have but I can't recall the title):

Comix: A History of Comic Books in America by Les Daniels - this was printed in 1971

A Complete History of American Comic Books by Shirrel Rhoades and Steve Geppi.

Comic Book Century: The History of American Comic Books (People's History) by Stephen Krensky

Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones would be my first choice. If you want an excellent general overview of how comics came into being and the men who made them, this is the place. Plus, its a great read a non-comic geek can enjoy; can't say enough good things about it. Amazon Linky.

Cap and WWII? Kirby, King of Comics by Mark Evanier. Linky.

There's also Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and the American Comic Book Revolution by Ronin Ro, but he does has some factual errors in there.

Here are some brilliant comic-related observations:

Linky

Your intellect is matched only by your generosity. (worship)

Why thank you, Sean. :)

Linky

Your hubris is matched only by your propensity to stir up mess. (worship)

I can do this as long as you care to, young man.

I would never alter posts in order to manipulate a conversation in my favor. Doing so would undermine freedom of speech, a freedom which someone, somewhere allegedly died for at some point.

Linky

I would never alter posts in order to manipulate a conversation in my favor. Doing so would undermine freedom of speech, a freedom which someone, somewhere allegedly died for at some point.

meh

Linky

You're right, young man. I'm sorry. I may be a decade older, but it's obvious which one of us is a decade wiser. :foryou:

No worries, Sean. You'll get there. (thumbs u

Linky

You're right, young man. I'm sorry. I may be a decade older, but it's obvious which one of us is a decade wiser. :foryou:

No worries, Sean. You'll get there. (thumbs u

And the end game. Sometimes the young gorilla does defeat the silverback. :roflmao:

Well I went to our Communications Library and picked up these three.

Comic Books as History

The Comics by Waugh

The Comic Book Makers by Joe Simon

Also picked up an article on our article database from the Journal of Popular Culture by Cord Scott.