• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 "Investments" of the 1990s - Looking Back

88 posts in this topic

Hi Rob, I meant Superman 75 Platinum. I just feel they will be key comics for whatever reason I am not assuming they will get hulk 181 prices. They may triple in price who knows. Carnage based on my reading hundreds of trade magazines and hanging around fan boys is the next big thing.

Take care.

Carnage based on my reading hundreds of trade magazines and hanging around fan boys is the next big thing.

Take care.

I have a feeling these are the same as the former fanboys at my shop that do Magic the gathering and HeroClix now and wax nostalgic about the day Darkhawk comes back to comics... tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

ASM 361 sales have not been remarkable even for the top census CGC 9.8s b/c there are 104 of them currently - revealing the average sale to be around $55 - $60 - now, if lets say there was a Carnage appearance in Spidey 3 or if the new Spiderman game for x-box featured him as the end Boss confused-smiley-013.gif, there would still be plenty of already graded high grade copies to sate the fanboy demand... also that 14 part MAximum Carnage spread itself all over the spidey titles too thin, even creating one shots - IMO, this kills the value of a character because collectors may not want to chase 14 equally relevant issues of a character as opposed to getting one or two defined key appearances...

I was serious when asking if "carnage was still a character." I thought he was just a 90s flash in the pan that was shelved due to over-exposure. I sold a stack of those early carnage appearances for like 50 cents apiece over a year or so ago on ebay.

ASM 361 was the first Spidey comic I ever read. Till then my only exposure to him was the 70s cartoon and the Electric Company. ASM 361 is also what lured me into my first comic shop and started my collection. However, it was not for Carnage. I wanted more Venom. Unfortunately, Marvel went nuts with the character and he suffered from overexposure with poor runs like Maximum Carnage. Venom eventually suffered the same fate.

Carnage made appearances here and there till 2000, but no one cared.

I just mentioned it because I knew it was a big deal at the time. The character also has a chance to make a comeback and maybe Marvel has learned that the only character immune to overexposure is Wolverine.

My collection is 80% 1990-2000. Since this post was made, I have flipped through it looking for anything that will have relevance in the future. I didn’t buy anything with speculation in mind and is probably why I only have 1 Valiant book and only a handful of Images. I guess the only thing I can do is list the 10 things (non variant/promo) that I might be looking for.

1. Marvels (I forgot about them. Was really what launched Alex Ross)

2. Kingdom Come

3. ASM 361-364 – 1st Carnage

4. Green Lantern 48-51 (vol. 3) – Hal goes nuts…New GL

5. Hulk 466-467 - Death of Betty and Last Peter David runs (if Betty is still dead…I don’t know)

6. JLA 1-4

7. Detective Comics 742 – Joker shot in leg.

8. Uncanny X-Men 350 – Gambit exposed

9. Spawn 1-4 - #4 has the coupon

10. DC –Vs.- Marvel Comics 1-4

I haven't been wrong yet on the next hot thing.(My wife says I read to much and talk to dealers to much.) You can learn a ton by monitoring the Mile High comics buy list and other dealers as well.. That is a reflection of what chuckles is getting hugh requests for.

Carnage is going to be big again. The 9.9s or 10.0 361s are going to sell for a hugh premium. This isn't a fact this is my understanding of the comic market place. Even 9.8s only 104 out of a 500,000 print run. Not bad. Also ASM 344 in super high grade will triple you money easily.

Now my point. This tread is about the hot books of the 90's. We can speculate all day about what will yield truely great returns. This is an awesome thread and it is fun to speculate. No one is right or wrong. I had tons of Punisher I limited that sat their for 2 bucks. Now I can sell them privately for 30 bucks each NM raw. I can now buy by wife some nice xmas presents. Who would have thunk it. I was ready to throw the towel in. I sold all my ASM 129's because the price was dropping two years ago and the punisher is lame. I missed that one completely because I listened to wonderful guys like you.

Great post

Some more thoughts, but I am unsure of the issue numbers.

1st appearance of Prometheus

1st appearance of Doomsday

1st appearance of Azrael

1st appearance of new Batgirl

Dang…that was all DC.

hmmm, you state you've never been wrong, yet thought punisher 1's were dead at $2 and sold all your 129's 2 years ago.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've never owned an ASM #129 or any Punishers.....

shiver was responding to jduran1's post replying to mine... and yes...I'm a wonderful guy smile.gif I've never advocated selling off ASM 129 2years ago nor did I ever advise folks to get rid of Punisher 1 Limited series...2 years ago I thought the punisher was hot - Garth Ennis was about to rock the world with his 12 issue maxi series and I loved every bit of it... ASM 129 has always been a favorite of mine and the decision to hold on to it was affirmed by its lead role in the movie "Coyote Ugly" wink.gif

As for Carnage, I feel that he has peaked, only because i saw and experienced the buying and selling off of ASM 361 CGC 9.8s and was realizing less and less towards the end of my "stash" - but then again it is my opinion - DO NOT go selling off your ASM 361 for $1 a piece based on my opinion

ASM 129 has always been a favorite of mine and the decision to hold on to it was affirmed by its lead role in the movie "Coyote Ugly" wink.gif

Yeah, I don't understand where he gets those "sell ASM 129 now!" advice, as (previous to the movie hype) I was recommending buying issue if you can find them cheap, or as I said to Scottish a few times, "you can't have too many ASM 129's".

During the current movie hype, I'll change that to "You can't sell too many ASM 129's", and as I demonstrated qith Hulk 181, you can sell 8.0-8.5 now and upgrade to 9.2 later, once the movie is released.

late issue gladstone disney books are near impossible to track down now & have immense worldwide appeal. Most issues tend to run $12-$30 now, and demand seems to definately be picking up. Think about issues of uncle scrooge with print runs under 10,000....you KNOW there are more than 10,000 people in the world who want those.

I assume you mean the last ones before Disney took over publishing. I have all of them (I have daughters as well). Are they really that difficult to find. What sort of price are we talking about? Maybe I should take them out of the storage boxes and bag them?????