• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheap Canadians in the GTA area?

16 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any fellow Canadians have gotten together to combine orders when ordering from US dealer like Metro? I know I constantly see 1 or 2 books I want to buy that I would buy if the cost of shipping and maybe getting hit for GST and brokerage charges were not so high. As it is I try to spend at least $400 when I buy something from a US source unless I get a great deal on ebay. I usually buy books in the $50-200 range so I usually have to find a few books I really want to make an order worthwhile.

Bruce

I know for a fact that if the package is sent via Fed Ex, UPS, DHL. The package is automatically put into the hands of a broker. They are not cheap in any sense of the word. If the USPS office is used. There is no broker needed 99.75% of the time.

I had comics that were sent to me from my home in Missouri. Comic book's I had bought in Canada. Either I got them right off the rack. Or I bought them at a local show. They were sent via Fed Ex. A broker got involved, duty, GST, etc. It cost me over $400 to get the book's back. Book's that came originally from Canada!!!

Your considered guilty before innocent in Revenue Canada's eyes. I had to prove these books were from Canada. I had moved to Missouri and brought the book's with me. I had the opportunity to sell them while I was at home visiting. Courier's automatically use a broker. They charged me over $80 a box. Two boxes were sent to me. You add there charge, duty, GST. Etc... It was a pain in the azz..

After 3 months of paperwork. I finally received the GST, duty back. The broker kept there fee. The moral of this story? Have book's shipeed via the USPS office!!! That and make sure you fill out all the correct paperwork with customs before shipping.

If your not sure what forms to use, simply ask. They will get you all the needed paperwork to avoid this potentially big headache..

I know Metro uses fed ex. I have only ordered from Metro a couple of times. Will they use USPS? I know my fedex bill was not much, but it still ads up. $22 US for shipping and then another $20 CDN for the Fedex broker. I know some people dont pay the fedex bill but I would prefer to pay it. Dont want them to hold one of my packages for ransom at some point down the line.

I was thinking of this for bigger dealer who use a service that will force us to use a broker or maybe even for some board slab sales. I know I have seen a few posts with cheap slabs I would have bought if shipping was not so high, unfortunately they usually only had one slab I wanted. Or I missed the other slabs I wanted like with MCMiles, so I currently have one slabbed avengers I am waiting to combine with something else he posts to lower my cost per book.

Bruce

Metro will use USPS if you ask. I asked them to do that once so we could come to an agreement about a price for a book and they did it. In the end, all parties were happy. And if memory serves, I didn't even have to pay duty on the book.

-Rob-

I'm cheap...and Canadian and in the GTA....I'm in.

I've had a couple good size orders from mycomicshop that have come across without duty/customs fees. Once in a while I get nailed, but hardly ever when USPS is used.

I am in the GTA as well.

I am expecting Metro to send me some books mid-late March as I am building up an invoice with them & comicconnect. I have never had a package stopped at the border from Metro... They use FedEx and I normally get a 'handling/brokerage' bill about a month after I get my package. I have never paid FedEx for any of the garbage invoice they send me and never will.

I don't recommend using USPS as Vincent indicated that this method is not covered by their insurance.

If anyone wants to piggyback off my next order, this is entirely possible... in fact, if we all order through the same dude's account with them, perhaps we can weasel some volume discounts(!) but I won't hold my breath.

How about we all do this then. Everyone interested post on this thread, I will PM everyone for their emails, then send out a mass email so everyone is connected. Then maybe people can mass email to everyone US or other foreign dealers they use, maybe highlight what they are good for, then we can email everyone when someone is thinking of ordering.

If there are enough people interested in ordering from certain dealers maybe we can get a monthly or every other order going with certain dealers.

Mio I might pick up a book or two if you have an order comming at the end of next month. I overspent my comic budget this month so I will have to see.

Bruce

They use FedEx and I normally get a 'handling/brokerage' bill about a month after I get my package. I have never paid FedEx for any of the garbage invoice they send me and never will.

Interesting stuff. Doesn't FedEx chase you down for this outstanding handling fees? I suspect they would have a right to collect them if they pushed the issue, no?

They use FedEx and I normally get a 'handling/brokerage' bill about a month after I get my package. I have never paid FedEx for any of the garbage invoice they send me and never will.

Interesting stuff. Doesn't FedEx chase you down for this outstanding handling fees? I suspect they would have a right to collect them if they pushed the issue, no?

My guess would be "no". If FedEx can ever show evidence that I've agreed to pay them anything, then I would pay for sure. But they can't so I will never pay them. I believe there is a class action lawsuit against UPS for doing this and holding peoples' packages ransom.

I've never received a follow-up from FedEx.