• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No make offer......no pay attention.

22 posts in this topic

Scrolling through ebay auctions recently and it struck me how many Buy it Now books there are. I mean the whole place has practically become a big for sale shop. Well......those books are gonna rot with those sellers cuz this entire hobby is based on buyers value....not sellers value......and the value of a TON of stuff is plummeting. As they say.....Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

It doesn't bother me so much that sellers are trying to get some certain amount of $$$ for a book......it bothers me that I have to search pages and pages of stuff to find a REAL AUCTION !!

Scrolling through ebay auctions recently and it struck me how many Buy it Now books there are. I mean the whole place has practically become a big for sale shop. Well......those books are gonna rot with those sellers cuz this entire hobby is based on buyers value....not sellers value......and the value of a TON of stuff is plummeting. As they say.....Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

It doesn't bother me so much that sellers are trying to get some certain amount of $$$ for a book......it bothers me that I have to search pages and pages of stuff to find a REAL AUCTION !!

There is a tab at the top of the search to view only Auctions or Buy it Nows or Both

I sold $1000 worth of books in my ebay store last month - all of which were BIN's (shrug)

I was looking for Sandman duplicates today - specifically searched for BIN's where the seller had multiple copies, found one guy who had 5 issues I wanted with the "submit an offer" for all of them, submitted an offer for 40% less than the BIN price, and ended up getting 10 copies each of all 5 issues at that price.

Like everyone else says, it's pretty easy to filter your search results so you only see "real" auctions, if that's your preference.

I sold $1000 worth of books in my ebay store last month - all of which were BIN's (shrug)

I was looking for Sandman duplicates today - specifically searched for BIN's where the seller had multiple copies, found one guy who had 5 issues I wanted with the "submit an offer" for all of them, submitted an offer for 40% less than the BIN price, and ended up getting 10 copies each of all 5 issues at that price.

Like everyone else says, it's pretty easy to filter your search results so you only see "real" auctions, if that's your preference.

My 2 cents.

A couple months back I had a huge inventory of pretty cool books, which I offered here first. Had almost no luck. So...I put them up as buy it nows on eBay and sold almost everything for great prices! Buy it nows are so cheap to list (35 cents) that you are seeing many dealers go that direction.

I still use the auction format as well, and must say that the comic market in general is red hot, My auctions are smoking!!!

And as others have pointed out, you can search both ways to find exactly what you want. eBay has made some aweful mistakes lately, and the format is not perfect, but it is still by far the best way to move general raw comics. Face it, you can't get the exposure anywhere else for the price!

My 2 cents.

A couple months back I had a huge inventory of pretty cool books, which I offered here first. Had almost no luck. So...I put them up as buy it nows on eBay and sold almost everything for great prices! Buy it nows are so cheap to list (35 cents) that you are seeing many dealers go that direction.

I still use the auction format as well, and must say that the comic market in general is red hot, My auctions are smoking!!!

And as others have pointed out, you can search both ways to find exactly what you want. eBay has made some aweful mistakes lately, and the format is not perfect, but it is still by far the best way to move general raw comics. Face it, you can't get the exposure anywhere else for the price!

I agree - the boards are great for some kinds of comic books, but for everything else, ebay is the way to go. And BIN listings are only $0.03/0.05 pr. 30 days if you have a store (thumbs u

My 2 cents.

What books did you end up selling? And at BIN price, or discounted?

My 2 cents.

I agree - the boards are great for some kinds of comic books, but for everything else, ebay is the way to go. And BIN listings are only $0.03/0.05 pr. 30 days if you have a store (thumbs u

I'm like Mike. I have an eBay store and of course everything in there is a BIN. But I also have the Best Offer option attached to almost all of them. Almost everything in my store is listed at 60-80% of guide and I'm willing to budge from that price. That's why I have the Best Offer option. It amazes me how many prospective buyers just can't figure that part out.

Senormac: Probably the reason why you see less and less auctions is the overall cost. It costs more to list an item in an auction than it does to list it in your eBay store. It might cost you 35 cents to list something for 7 days in an auction and if it doesn't sell you have to relist the item. Like Mike says it only costs 3 to 5 cents to list items in an eBay store and you can set those up to reset every 30 days without any extra effort.

For me, selling in an eBay store is less work, I have better overall sales and the overall percentage of guide I get for my comics is better than what I could get from auctions. Sure, some items will sell better at auction if they're "hot" items but those are few and far between. And once my full-time job goes away in a few months, I plan on loading a lot of comics into my eBay store and may even open a ProStores website.

Shark

Senormac: Probably the reason why you see less and less auctions is the overall cost. It costs more to list an item in an auction than it does to list it in your eBay store. It might cost you 35 cents to list something for 7 days in an auction and if it doesn't sell you have to relist the item. Like Mike says it only costs 3 to 5 cents to list items in an eBay store and you can set those up to reset every 30 days without any extra effort.

For me, selling in an eBay store is less work, I have better overall sales and the overall percentage of guide I get for my comics is better than what I could get from auctions. Sure, some items will sell better at auction if they're "hot" items but those are few and far between. And once my full-time job goes away in a few months, I plan on loading a lot of comics into my eBay store and may even open a ProStores website.

Shark

I didn't know that shark. Thats pretty cheap. Thanks for the replies all....I've been reading everything said. I think I'll adjust my search guidlines.......

I will say though, some of the books I have let go as auctions go WAY higher than I would have priced as a BIN. I think there is a psychological aspect at lay there.

Yeah, competition. That's MY book, damnit. Plus people don't know how to use ebay, they'll incrementally increase their bids chasing the book and then get sniped like a mofo.