• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A case for cardboard

32 posts in this topic

Here is why you should use cardboard when you mail comics. My Heritage auction catalog arrived in the mail the other day. How can any postal worker justify doing this!?

I'm glad it wasn't a comic. :makepoint:

photo.jpg

I think Matt Nelson should be able to take care of that for you. (thumbs u

For my money, this is yet another reason not to use these envelopes for comics at all. Even besides the obvious massive crunch through the center, take a look at the envelope's corners. I've received SO many of these envelopes over the years...even with reasonably sturdy cardboard inside them...that had mashed/rounded corners just like this one. Sometimes the books inside made it unscathed...but sometimes not. I'm a big believer in boxed shipping.

My experience is almost the complete opposite (shrug)

I've gotten nearly 400 of these over the last decade and almost all made their trip around the world and I've had maybe 2 or 3 that had any damage to the comics at all. If the comic bags are taped to the cardboard and the cardboard is sufficiently strong there should be almost no problems. It's all about the cardboard sandwich that the seller makes, the envelop should be regarded as a wrapper which offers no protection.

But maybe my postal workers are a little bit more careful ? They would NEVER cram something in a mailslot like that horrendous picture, if mail doesn't slide in perfectly or sticks out just a little bit (fire hazard ! ) they leave a note to come pick it up yourself.

After seeing this, I'm going to start using masonite as well..I hardly send one or two of the Priority Envelops out a year...but if this is standard practice in the US (a law even... doh! ) I'm not taking any chances.

:( that sucks..

also might be a little OT but is comic book cardboards (for shipping) sold anywhere?

Yes, you can buy pre-cut cardboard at U-LINE. They area huge shipping supply company with every product on the planet.You can pull them up online and look through their catalog. I personally use the Kraft cardboard box mailers for comics # S-342. They are perfect for about 8-10 books and can be adjusted up to 2" thick. Really sturdy. They cost about .57 cents each. You can also buy the cardboard pads to go with them to put the books between, about .25 cents. Just make sure you get the right size to fit in the box. You can buy these in bulk if you ship alot of books, and the cost is a little less. For me, this is the only way to go when shipping a book. I never use envelopes, but thats just me. There service is good, and your stuff is on your doorstep in a couple of days. It doesnt add much to the shipping charges, and i sleep a little better knowing some mailman isnt rolling a envelope up, or wiring it to the mailbox all crumpled up. Just passing along some info. (thumbs u

DRX

It's about getting home as soon as possible with SOME of them. When their route is finished, the get to go home.

The first thing I did when I purchased my new home out in the "country", I bought a huge mailbox, that a USPS Priority Mail box (what most use for slabbed comics) would fit in easily.

One of the smartest things I have ever done, for my collecting habits.

I am always afraid to send packages to buyers who have "apartment" addresses. Nothing against them, but images of lost packages go through my head when I am sending them off. I imagine the postal carrier just leaving the boxes in an apartment building hallway, or in front of the apartment door.

I am sure that apartment occupants work out their needs, but it always enters my mind that this package has a fair chance of disappearing if delivered when the buyer is not home.

At my last apartment, they had the big metal postal boxes. Whenever I got a package, they'd put the package in the big box, lock it, and put the key to it in my mailbox. Beautiful system as long as it's not temperature-sensitive material (Colorado gets cold).

My new apartment doesn't use the big metal postal boxes like the old ones. Instead, everyone who has a package gets one of the pink pick-up slips in their mailbox with stamp that says "Parcel in apartment office". As long as I can get home before they close up for the day (much harder since now they close at 5:30), my packages are inside safe and sound. I've been here since May and probably received over 100 packages with still no incidents.

My only gripe is when a box is sent insured, registered, or signature confirmation, the postal carrier doesn't attempt delivery under any circumstances. He'll leave the slip in my mailbox and the package never leaves the truck. It takes me an extra day and a drive to the post office to get the package.

On a more personal note, I hope you feel a little more comfortable about the package you recently sent me, conditionfreak! I'm sure it'll get here no problem. I'll let you know when it gets here in 2-3 +1 (forgot to tell you not to insure it) days.

(thumbs u

I have always thought of the mail service as a cross between

Newman of Seinfeld and the Apes on the American Tourister commercial

Seinfeld_s9e5.jpg

74428.jpeg

so I always ask for insurance and delivery conformation.

I don't trust the USPS or any delivery company as far as I can throw them.

:P

"At my last apartment, they had the big metal postal boxes. Whenever I got a package, they'd put the package in the big box, lock it, and put the key to it in my mailbox. Beautiful system as long as it's not temperature-sensitive material (Colorado gets cold)."

That's the system I had but one morning I recieved the key in my box only to discover that the door to the box he had put it in was left open and my comic was gone. Luckily it was only a 15 dollar book.

For my money, this is yet another reason not to use these envelopes for comics at all. Even besides the obvious massive crunch through the center, take a look at the envelope's corners. I've received SO many of these envelopes over the years...even with reasonably sturdy cardboard inside them...that had mashed/rounded corners just like this one. Sometimes the books inside made it unscathed...but sometimes not. I'm a big believer in boxed shipping.

My experience is almost the complete opposite (shrug)

I've gotten nearly 400 of these over the last decade and almost all made their trip around the world and I've had maybe 2 or 3 that had any damage to the comics at all. If the comic bags are taped to the cardboard and the cardboard is sufficiently strong there should be almost no problems.

Nutty. That's amazing. I guess your sellers are using sturdier cardboard than my sellers? Or maybe the NYC mail system is harder on packages? In any case, more power to you!

Over the years, I've actually received cardboard-filled Priority Mail envelopes where the book inside got corner-dinged -- from quite a few well-respected sellers right here on the forums. Hard to quantify the odds, but it does happen.