• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A case for cardboard

32 posts in this topic

Pretty sure the postal carriers are required to do so unless they bend the rules (instead of the package!) I've seen this commentary from a seller on ebay:

My husband is a letter carrier for the Postal Service, he wants all bidders to be aware of Federal Postal Regulations regarding mail. All items are to placed in the mailbox, unless you do one of 2 things. Provide a bigger mailbox to accommodate a Flat Rate Envelope or ask for the item to be signed for by you, so it does not go in the mailbox. ... Writing the words "Do Not Bend" does not apply to any mail, unless it is specifically signed for. This is Federal Law that all Letter Carriers must follow.

My p-worker has done similiar things with my packages that barely fit into the mail box...some of them either lack common sense or are just to lazy to do the job proper! :makepoint:

It's about getting home as soon as possible with SOME of them. When their route is finished, the get to go home.

The first thing I did when I purchased my new home out in the "country", I bought a huge mailbox, that a USPS Priority Mail box (what most use for slabbed comics) would fit in easily.

One of the smartest things I have ever done, for my collecting habits.

I am always afraid to send packages to buyers who have "apartment" addresses. Nothing against them, but images of lost packages go through my head when I am sending them off. I imagine the postal carrier just leaving the boxes in an apartment building hallway, or in front of the apartment door.

I am sure that apartment occupants work out their needs, but it always enters my mind that this package has a fair chance of disappearing if delivered when the buyer is not home.

I got a package the other day that wouldn't fit in the mailbox and was fortified with cardboard so it couldn't be bent to fit in the box. Instead of walking the 30 feet up to the house which would have taken all of 10 seconds, the carrier attached the package to the mailbox by wrapping two rubber bands over the handle on the door and the flag (bending the flag in the process), pinning the package between the door and the mailbox. It had to have taken him 10 minutes to do it.

He spent 100x the amount of time trying to get out of doing work by trying to be lazy.

i get mine sent to my wife's workplace - shes always there to oick up the mail.

one time though she thought the packet was too small to be a comic and asked one of her staff to open it. she took the scissors to it so my copy of ASM247 has a one inch cut through every page ( and the bag and board). it still wakes me at night. :o

the worse thing was my wife refused to let her pay for the book and it was only cheap :mad:

That is a pretty rough picture! :eek:

That's why it's always best to ship in a box or cardboard mailer.

Especially if its a comic!

About a year ago I won a VF/NM copy of GI Joe #21 on ebay. The seller was a total novice when it came to comics and shipped it without board or bag in a thin 8X10 envelope. By shear luck, the book looked perfect but I wrote to the seller my concerns.

I've been lucly with my ebay purchases lately as the sellers have sent them very well packaged. Also my mail carier puts boxes in my front gate or to my front door. It depends on who is running my route, not sure my normal carrier is actually good, or if the people replacing him/her because they aren't showing up are good. I think we may have a new one now too. My biggest worry, which is the reason I like tracking packages, is since I sleep during the day I let my dog out when she annoys me to much, and she'll go to town on any box(or lawn mower) she finds in the yard, so if I'm expecting I always take a good look around the front yard before leaving her alone.

the other day i recieved a nice big package from al rio art :) i had seen a new carier and didnt think anything of it. usualy they just suck unless its my normal carrier.

the new guy was nice enough to come to my door see i wasnt home, went to the boxes and did the mail, as he was doing this i drove by and he recognized the sticker on my window from car in driveway. so when he was done he thought he would check if it was me.

i asked him his name and called the usps to let them know i was pleased with his workmanship.

not like the one guy that stuck my package in the pile of snow by my portch :( i didnt get a picture cause i didnt realy think about snapping a shot, just snapping a neck lol

I am always afraid to send packages to buyers who have "apartment" addresses. Nothing against them, but images of lost packages go through my head when I am sending them off. I imagine the postal carrier just leaving the boxes in an apartment building hallway, or in front of the apartment door.

I am sure that apartment occupants work out their needs, but it always enters my mind that this package has a fair chance of disappearing if delivered when the buyer is not home.

In my case, the packages are left with the apartment manager/office. Except for Fed Ex. Those guys are dummies who leave the package outside the door while everyone else is smart about dumping at the office. I'll be having a talk with the Fed Ex guy if I ever catch him or give up and leave a big note on my door not to leave packages outside.

Sometimes I remember to tell people sending me stuff not to use Fed Ex for this very reason.

Here is why you should use cardboard when you mail comics. My Heritage auction catalog arrived in the mail the other day. How can any postal worker justify doing this!?

I'm glad it wasn't a comic. :makepoint:

photo.jpg

The horror! :cry:

For my money, this is yet another reason not to use these envelopes for comics at all. Even besides the obvious massive crunch through the center, take a look at the envelope's corners. I've received SO many of these envelopes over the years...even with reasonably sturdy cardboard inside them...that had mashed/rounded corners just like this one. Sometimes the books inside made it unscathed...but sometimes not. I'm a big believer in boxed shipping.