• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heath Ledger wins

163 posts in this topic

Do people actually believe Ledger would have won if he had not suddenly died, particularly at a young age?

This is a serious question, and as a disclaimer I have not seen the film so I pass no judgment on his specific performance. I'm just asking a question tinged with reality.

Do people actually believe Ledger would have won if he had not suddenly died, particularly at a young age?

This is a serious question, and as a disclaimer I have not seen the film so I pass no judgment on his specific performance. I'm just asking a question tinged with reality.

Maybe not. But his performance was immense. I thought the movie was pretty bad as a whole, and way too long (you've heard it all before I'm sure) ... but when he was on-screen, suddenly I didn't want it to end.

His part, to me, made the film. But overall, an incredible cast.

I mentioned in the other TDK thread that "Benjamin Button" won for Makeup Achievement over "TDK" and "Golden Army." What was that about?

No, he would have been nominated, but he never would have won.

I remember reading an article soon after his death that understood Hollywood clearly, "he just went from an Oscar nominee to an outright favorite".

Personally, I feel that the role was extremely well-written and definitely plum, award-bait material. The writer and director had more do with it than Ledger - he had ALL the great lines, every single one of them.

Dead or alive, Ledger was amazing and deserved that Oscar. I'm not sure the Academy could overlook their snooty bottoms and pick Ledger if he hadn't died.

I remember definitely being stoked when I saw the trailers in the theators while he was still alive. And from what I remember during that time watching trailer with an unbiased mind, I thought he nailed the role of the Joker. Would he have won the award? Possibly not, but he definitely deserved it.

Yes, as stated it was a bravura performance of the ages...he would have won either way to put it succinctly...

:headbang:

James Dean never won...and he was nominated twice posthumously.

No, he would have been nominated, but he never would have won.

I remember reading an article soon after his death that understood Hollywood clearly, "he just went from an Oscar nominee to an outright favorite".

Personally, I feel that the role was extremely well-written and definitely plum, award-bait material. The writer and director had more do with it than Ledger - he had ALL the great lines, every single one of them.

WRONG! :makepoint:

James Dean never won...and he was nominated twice posthumously.

Different times. doh!

Whether Ledger *deserved* it or not, part of his win was due to Hollywood feeling forced to posthumously award him by the media and fanboys. Some have even admitted this pressure.

So yes, he did deserve to be nominated and possibly even win, but that is NOT the main reason why he won. Lots of deserving actors never even get nominated.