• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heath Ledger wins

163 posts in this topic

One thing needs to be pointed out. This years field for best supporting actor was extremely week. Besides Ledger no one really stood out from the field. Just ask yourself, if Ledger did not win, who would of won the thing?

Well, early on, Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) was the front-runner and actually won a few awards. But after the whole "drug overdose" had been swept under the carpet, the Ledger movement caught on, and it was all over.

Revolutionary Road is an interesting case, it was a front-runner for every award, from Best Pic to Best Actress, but somewhere along the line, it just stopped. I wonder if the director ticked someone off?

dying certainly added to his chances. But the film did a billion dollars, and last spring, Ledgers p[erfomrnce was responsible for much of the high expectations of the film... so, had he lived he may have suffered from comic book contamination. Being gone made this the ONE shot to give an admired and respected young actor the Oscar he MAY have earned years from now.

Extremely well stated. :applause:

in what way are they meaningless? in the same way all our lives and actions are meaningless?

Well, I suppose in the sense that they do not reward any objective standard of excellence? (shrug)

The awards seem to be based on popularity, politics, subject matter and box-office. Still, artistic merit is innately subjective so it's not like there's any real alternative. The 'best' film ever made is impossible to identify without reference to its audience, the viewer, and therefore has many different equally correct answers. :blahblah:

I doubt any serious film-maker or actor would pretend that Slumdog Millionaire is a great artistic achievement, or that Tom Hanks is a great actor. They're very popular, enjoyable and profitable though, and have a veneer of artistic respectability which allows the masses to pretend that they are.

Yes, I do sometimes come across as very smug, cynical and pseudo-intellectual. Sorry, it just comes naturally. I blame my parents :sorry:

EDIT: PS, I'm happy that Ledger won. He really did make an effort for that role and it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

I gotta give props to Hugh Jackman. His hosting duties were no easy task, and I thought he did a great job holding it all together.

They should've done something where he pops the claws tho!

What would the Oscars have been without comic books in general?

Ledger's win was well deserved whether alive or dead. Who else could have taken home that award? I'd seen 4 of the 5 films that were represented in the "supporting actor" category and Heath was hand's down the best performance. Downey, Brolin and Hoffman were great, but not amazing and none provided unforgettable performances on par with what we saw with Heath as our beloved Joker. Even friends and family I know felt this way about the W - regardless of their fan boy affiliation.

Beyond the win by Heath, comics were represented in a big way. A number of Iron Man, Batman and even Wolverine references surfaced throughout the night. I'm guessing there may have been a few others that I didn't catch as well, but overall, it was a positive for the industry to have that happen. Anyone or company would take that exposure. Now, will it trickle down to our little corner of the comic book world? Do we care? Only time will tell (thumbs u

A few different nominations in the meaningless categories? (shrug)

Did you even watch the show? Funny book movies lost even in the usual shoo-in categories of Visual FX, Sound and Make-up, as well as historical enclaves like Editing, Art Direction and Cinematography - it was a terrible night for nerds world-wide. :insane:

A few different nominations in the meaningless categories? (shrug)

Did you even watch the show? Funny book movies lost even in the usual shoo-in categories of Visual FX, Sound and Make-up, as well as historical enclaves like Editing, Art Direction and Cinematography - it was a terrible night for nerds world-wide. :insane:

Just a foot in the door as they say. Remember, it IS the Oscars, so like that in general is and always will happen. Look at comedies and anything animated that doesn't say "Pixar" on it. Don't whine and accept the few wins nerds got (thumbs u

FYI - not only did I watch the Oscars, know a little about their history, but I also viewed a fair amount of the nominated films as well. The work in Benjamin Button is pretty incredible and no capes were needed :baiting:

Do people actually believe Ledger would have won if he had not suddenly died, particularly at a young age?

This is a serious question, and as a disclaimer I have not seen the film so I pass no judgment on his specific performance. I'm just asking a question tinged with reality.

Here is reality...............see the :censored: movie.... :hi:

Ledger's win was well deserved whether alive or dead. Who else could have taken home that award? I'd seen 4 of the 5 films that were represented in the "supporting actor" category and Heath was hand's down the best performance. Downey, Brolin and Hoffman were great, but not amazing and none provided unforgettable performances on par with what we saw with Heath as our beloved Joker. Even friends and family I know felt this way about the W - regardless of their fan boy affiliation.

Beyond the win by Heath, comics were represented in a big way. A number of Iron Man, Batman and even Wolverine references surfaced throughout the night. I'm guessing there may have been a few others that I didn't catch as well, but overall, it was a positive for the industry to have that happen. Anyone or company would take that exposure. Now, will it trickle down to our little corner of the comic book world? Do we care? Only time will tell (thumbs u

I can name you 30 to 40 movies I saw in 2008 that were far more enjoyable than Iron Man or Dark Knight. Don`t get me wrong I liked Dark Knight and Iron Man but I seen so much better in 2008. The Changeling with Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich comes to mind as a far superior film than Dark Knight.

On OT movie rant…. rantrant

How could "There Will be Blood," not have won an award last year for best movie or Daniel D. Lewis not win best actor?

That movie, which I finally just saw last week was absolutely outstanding. I have watched it 5 times in a week in a half.

"I drink your milkshake." :roflmao:

I would give the Razzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee award to:

Slumdog Millionaire

Honorable Mention goes to Benjamin Button

POS Movies.... :news:

See people, this is why I make fun of close-minded, inbred, funny book fanboys. doh!

Anyone who actually believes that Slumdog was the WORST movie of 2008 needs to get out more.

How could "There Will be Blood," not have won an award last year for best movie or Daniel D. Lewis not win best actor?

Ummm, Daniel Day Lewis DID win Best Actor and the movie was a very close second to the eventual Best Pic winner, No Country for Old Men.

I would give the Razzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee award to:

Slumdog Millionaire

Honorable Mention goes to Benjamin Button

POS Movies.... :news:

See people, this is why I make fun of close-minded, inbred, funny book fanboys. doh!

Anyone who actually believes that Slumdog was the WORST movie of 2008 needs to get out more.

I think I get alot alot more that you my friend... :hi:

JC, that movie sucked so bad, we all watched the bootleg at my house, and all five of us agreed it the dvd needs to be put in the trash.

Ummm, Daniel Day Lewis DID win Best Actor and the movie was a very close second to the eventual Best Pic winner, No Country for Old Men.

Yea, I just looked it up on line and thats correct.

I didn't dislike no country for old men, but I don't think it was Oscar worthy especially over There Will Be Blood.