• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one shocked at the reserve on the Heritage OA?

42 posts in this topic

Ditto on that! I've got a list of about 10 items (not necessarily even specific items but certain artists on titles) that I would buy in a heartbeat, but they just don't seem to surface and 'this economy' has not gone any further to bring them out into the open. Indeed, continued rising prices doesn't seem to bring them out of the vaults either. DF

You took the words out of my mouth Hari. There has been some nice art being offered in the last 6 months, but there's ALWAYS been nice stuff offered. I'm still waiting for the KILLER stuff to hit, but nothing yet....

Scott Williams

I was offered one piece that I thought was pretty KILLER within the last four months that I was able to pick up. But I still haven't seen any splashes or covers. There hasn't been a decent Kirby or Ditko Marvel splash (or cover) offered up in quite some time. Hopefully that will change!

The whole of Creeper 3 was offered recently, There are some killer pages in there and it looks like the cover has gone. Granted it is not primo Ditko Spidey or a killer Kirby splash page, but it sounds like it has never been on the market before which is the point that i am trying to make.

Clem

In the past six months I have been offered some primo A+ pieces (Frazetta paintings, Wrightson Frankenstein plates, choice EC covers, ASM covers) but all were priced at what I perceived to be as "above market." What will be more interesting to see is whether these prices begin to soften in the next six months. My sense is that people who have these A+ pieces and really need money will be more eager to deal and price their B-level and C-level pieces either at or below market.

The whole of Creeper 3 was offered recently, There are some killer pages in there and it looks like the cover has gone. Granted it is not primo Ditko Spidey or a killer Kirby splash page, but it sounds like it has never been on the market before which is the point that i am trying to make.

Clem

Clem

Creepy 3 or Creeper 3???

Clem

Clem

Creepy 3 or Creeper 3???

Creeper...Ditko..I love cover...Mike Burkey had it and moved it.

creeper30.jpg

Clem

Clem

Creepy 3 or Creeper 3???

Creeper...Ditko..I love cover...Mike Burkey had it and moved it.

He sure did...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=483262&GSub=15036

Speaking of reserves, did anyone see that Ditko Strange Tales/Dr Strange page vs Baron Mordo...18k is the reserve...did I miss something? I didn't think these pages were in that range yet.

A page sold publically for $20k+ last year...but it was Ditko/Ditko.

There have been splashes and other pages that crossed the 20k barrier and multiples of 20k for the splashes in the last 24 months in private sales.

C

It's possible the auction house doesn't know, I guess.

Really?? I'm calling shenanigans. When this page was offered around, it took a little effort to confirm Bell inks because Ditko normally inks Ditko so the first assumption was that it was Ditko inks. This assumption had to be researched to be refuted. Kirby almost never inks Kirby, and most of his inkers are so distinctive that you should know it even if it isn't mentioned.

I would say with a high degree of confidence that everyone involved knows that it's Bell inks. However, few would pay 18K knowing this information.

I don't know. I haven't had a single A+ piece come my way. Lots of nice art, but no Grails popping up for me anyway. I've kept track of a lot of great artwork in people's collections, and none of them are coming available.

H-

Isn't this an A+ piece for some people?

But I've not seen a public offer for a piece like this before this year. Based on this offer, others like it, and certain private sales of which I've heard whispers, some things are coming available that were not previously.

- A

Thor%20Pin%20Up%20clemso.jpg

One issue with reserves is that they cost money (unless waived) - like about 20% if the piece does not sell as such the seleler is often faced between risking it (and afriend pointed out a number of pieces in the recent illustration auction that went lower than what he had sold them for a couple of years ago- the person after al lthe various commissions lost several thousand dollars) by having it sel llow or risking it not selling and then having to pay a cut fee to Heritage!

Plus didn't Bell ink ST 125? I don't see that mentioned in the description.

He certainly did.

Actually it's a George Roussos job...Geo Bell was a pen name, as I recall he was working for D.C. at the time and D.C. held a very dim view of moonlighting for the competition.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. can you name some of the other talents who also shielded their identities to work for Marvel in the early days ?