• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel seems to be hot...

16 posts in this topic

As a stock that is...

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090224-705750.html?mod=

I was just pondering buing some stock in Marvel yesterday when it was trading just below $24, and today it closed at $27.55 after performing better than 4Q projections and announcements that the DVD release of Iron Man 2 (animated feature) had contributed to a doubling of revenue.

Too bad DC is owned by Warner Bros. so no head to head stock comparisons there.

Anybody invested in Marvel?

I thought Marvel was a good buy a month ago, but it didn't go down near as much as most things, so I opted to purchase some with more growth potential.

I don't think you could wrong with some Marvel in your portfolio.

I seem to remember that many years ago, you could buy a share of Marvel that wasn't an actual investment. It was just something to be framed, but did not have a cash value.

Anyone know if I got that right?

Some news today.

"Marvel Entertainment Inc. (MVL) shares jumped 15%. The company's fourth-quarter profit doubled to $63 million, or 80 cents a share, from a year ago. Sales rose to $224.3 million from $109.3 million. The improvement reflects recognition of $135.5 million in film production segment revenue principally associated with the DVD performance of Marvel's "Iron Man" feature film, the company said. Analysts expected earnings of 75 cents a share on revenue of $210 million. Marvel expects 2009 earnings of $1 to $1.35 a share, compared with the Wall Street target of $1.21 a share."

I was seriously considering buying Marvel shares just after 9/11 when they were in the dumps due to potential bankruptcy issues and the markets tanking. My rationale was that the Spider-Man movie would give it some life, but since I was between jobs for a month (quit one and the new one did not start right away) I decided to play it safe for probably the first time in my life re: investing and loaded up on comics I knew I could resell instead. While I did okay with the books, what a mistake passing up that golden opportunity was. The shares were sub-$1.00 back then. doh!

That's kinda weird. If anyone has a scan of that, it'd be interesting to see.

http://www.oneshare.com/Stock.aspx?stock=marvel

I think it's 1 real share

WOW Only $112 for one share. Nice. I remember buying that stock in late 2000 at 5 bucks saying "This stock is going to be great with all the comic book movies coming out"

Naturally I sold it at 5...... :makepoint:

I was seriously considering buying Marvel shares just after 9/11 when they were in the dumps due to potential bankruptcy issues and the markets tanking. My rationale was that the Spider-Man movie would give it some life, but since I was between jobs for a month (quit one and the new one did not start right away) I decided to play it safe for probably the first time in my life re: investing and loaded up on comics I knew I could resell instead. While I did okay with the books, what a mistake passing up that golden opportunity was. The shares were sub-$1.00 back then. doh!

lol so basically we did the same thing! I have to learn to type faster....

I own a lot of MVL shares. I originally started buying them in August 2002 after the Spider-Man movie came out at a split-adjusted price of about $3.60 per share. I wound up selling those original shares back in 2005, then bought back in last year before the Iron Man movie. Despite the projected (and long-expected) drop in revenues and earnings for 2009, I think MVL has a very nice future and is still cheap at its current price as a long-term investment.

As a stock that is...

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090224-705750.html?mod=

I was just pondering buing some stock in Marvel yesterday when it was trading just below $24, and today it closed at $27.55 after performing better than 4Q projections and announcements that the DVD release of Iron Man 2 (animated feature) had contributed to a doubling of revenue.

Too bad DC is owned by Warner Bros. so no head to head stock comparisons there.

Anybody invested in Marvel?

They projected a terrible 2009 which brought the stock to 25 bucks versus 35 this summer as well as our depression.. I think they have hit bottom at $25. I bought the stock at $4 when they were close to be delisted. Totally luck on my part.

I bought at around $2.25 when they emerged from Chapter 11. I seem to recall there being at least one split in there as well. Have sold some and bought more since then but definitely been one of my better investments. Netflix is another one I've done well with. [but the telecom stocks I bought in the late nineties I won't even talk about!]

I bought at around $2.25 when they emerged from Chapter 11. I seem to recall there being at least one split in there as well. Have sold some and bought more since then but definitely been one of my better investments. Netflix is another one I've done well with. [but the telecom stocks I bought in the late nineties I won't even talk about!]

Nice. Just checked out NFLX, but it looks like the time to buy was back in October for a newcomer.

I might just pick up some Marvel if its still fairly cheap when I get my tax refund.

Fast Money on Cnbc just said they wouldnt touch that stock. Not that they know what theyre talking about.

What was their rationale? The problem I see with Marvel is that much of their revenue is movie performance dependent. Good movies and subsequent DVD sales will move the stock, bad movies will do the opposite.

Fast Money on Cnbc just said they wouldnt touch that stock. Not that they know what theyre talking about.

What was their rationale? The problem I see with Marvel is that much of their revenue is movie performance dependent. Good movies and subsequent DVD sales will move the stock, bad movies will do the opposite.

They gave no explanation, It was said in passing. Thats what theyre known for anyway. Completely useless.