• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA rookie question

25 posts in this topic

Was thinking about trying my hand at buying some OA.

Now, I'm kinda new to the whole OA scene and wanted to do some research before I start spending.What is the best way/place to research prices on OA?

How do you go about determining how much to spend and how much is too much?

Some quick thoughts

1. CAF (comic art fans) had a market price service...I believe it is free now...covers quite a few sources but you can also go directly to Heritage auction archives and eBay.

2. Best of all is to know what you like and follow the market...each artist is its own market...some stuff has only a handful of fans but it only takes a few to make prices high.

3. Network - if you are interested in a certain artist, get to know some other collectors that might be able to help you out with valuations...you can see who owns what on CAF for those that use it...most people are pretty helpful

That would be 3 that come to mind....I am sure others will have great advice

Welcome to the Hobby!

-- Mark

Lots of good advice offered, but to keep it simple, spend whatever you are comfortable with on whatever you like. Even if you overpay, but if you really love it and don't plan on selling, its not an issue.

However, it's always wise to make sure you can get your money out if you need to, so ask questions, ask other collectors who collect the same artist/art/character that you like.

Malvin

My one word of advice is dont buy anything for six months. Just read, network and educate yourself about any and all aspects of what you are about to start collecting. It will save you from some bad choices in the beginning which may sour your collecting tastes.

Good luck

My one word of advice is dont buy anything for six months. Just read, network and educate yourself about any and all aspects of what you are about to start collecting. It will save you from some bad choices in the beginning which may sour your collecting tastes.

Good luck

As newb, I think this is great advice. I'd spent a some time looking around before buying my first piece, and the result was that I also learned about what type of art I like. CAF can be a lot of fun just to fill off a nice hour, cruising through all of the different art pieces. Good luck!

Ya, I think most people consider commissions/sketches OA

Lets see OA = Original Art

Is a commission/sketch an original and not a print or copy - check

Is a commission/sketch artwork - check (unless you are a snob...)

Malvin

I'm a newb, but my answer is yes. Personally, sketches, commissions, etc, are all OA to me. I think they generally fall more in line with "entry-level" OA, but all the same.

Anything that is original artwork is OA..There is Published OA, and Unpublished OA...but it's all OA

Commissions are "entry-level" OA?....hmmm.

A few folks might disagree with that. Here's are some examples why:

bolland_trophyjoker.jpg

Comolo_Brainiac.JPG

BraseNightmare01_02-16-2009_12-00-20.jpg

TrophiesofOZfinal_02-16-2009_15-16-37.jpg

Man those are cool!! ---I like the idea behind them very creative.

Thanks,

It has kind of taken on a life of it's own. It started with that Bolland piece...which was supposed to be a one time commission and not a theme.

However, several artist friends and collecting friends saw it and thought of their own ideas and versions. When you think of it you can adapt this idea to Film, TV, Literature, Comics, Mythology...pretty much any character set with a villain or antagonist. They can be dark and nasty all the way to pretty damn funny.

And when you get a chance to work with Perez, Bolland, Van Sciver, Nowlan, Sinnott, Brunner, Layton and a bunch more it's a lot of fun.

Here's a link the full gallery. There are 45 or so different ones to look at.

Trophy-Wall.Com

And I leave you with the one that gets the most laughs...

ahern_swedishcheftrophywall.jpg

Ya, I think most people consider commissions/sketches OA

Lets see OA = Original Art

Is a commission/sketch an original and not a print or copy - check

Is a commission/sketch artwork - check (unless you are a snob...)

Malvin

Heh - I know a few snobs that think only published work should be called OA... and I disagree with them, too.

I have a couple of Cliff Van Meter pieces of Shadowman that I'll have to post at some point, then.

Wait, sketches as well? I'll find the pics of the Sean Chen Rais and Rodney Ramos' Bloodshot I have, too!

(thumbs u

-slym (might have let the snobs influence him a bit too much!)

See, you go and bring out the big dogs like that... ;) I love your Bolland piece, and I don't remember seeing the Morbius before-is it new? And why am I thinking you had a Zeck/Kraven one like that?

When I said entry-level, it's because I know there are some people I've met who don't think it's real OA since it hasn't be published. But, for people like me who are on a limited budget, being able to buy second-hand commissions has been a nice way to get involved. But there are some commissions which I think are absolutely mind-blowing and wouldn't be surprised to see them show up later in a sketchbook publication!

See, you go and bring out the big dogs like that... ;) I love your Bolland piece, and I don't remember seeing the Morbius before-is it new? And why am I thinking you had a Zeck/Kraven one like that?

The Morbius one is actually Nightmare (I think that's the one you are talking about)....I got that in late 2007. It's amazing in person.

The Kraven one is actually by Bob McLeod.

He was the inker and generally set the tone and style for the Zeck "Kraven's Last Hunt" Storyline...so it looks just like those books did.

It's this one..well 2..each one is it's own 11x17 artboard.

mcleod_kraventrophywalls.jpg