• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Insuring your High Value comics - does anyone have this?

24 posts in this topic

I have a pretty nice collection built up over the years and more recently have obtained some very nice stuff. I was wondering if anyone has experience insuring their books? I imagine proving value would not be hard to do in this "cgc era".

I found a site, http://www.collectinsure.com/ , and they seem to have very affordable annual premiums. It protects against theft as well.

any experience with this company?

Also, has anyone insured their collectibles on their home owners insurance?

I have a pretty nice collection built up over the years and more recently have obtained some very nice stuff. I was wondering if anyone has experience insuring their books? I imagine proving value would not be hard to do in this "cgc era".

I found a site, http://www.collectinsure.com/ , and they seem to have very affordable annual premiums. It protects against theft as well.

My insurance company told me it would be difficult to insure paper collectibles because of the high risk from water/fire/etc.

A better question is does anybody know who will insure collectibles in Canada?

CIA will not isnure outside of the US.

R.

Most household policies have small limits on collectibles.

I have insured them under a specific rider and provided a detailed list of my comics with replacement costs. I send a new list once/twice a year. Ask your insurance broker to look into it for you... I have insured my $15K collection for the small premium of $7 a month.

I use the company, Collectibles Insurance Services, that you found in your website.

I believe they are backed by the Hartford. I've had them for over ten years and I am very pleased. You only have to itemize books with an individual value over 5,000.00 . Hint: Store your better books in a Bank Vault and your premiums will be cheaper !

Homeowners insurance requires a complete inventory list and they are more expensive. They don't know collectibles.

Sounds good - it looks like a stumbled on to the best option then. For a 20k collection, the estimate annual premium was only $99. I thought that was pretty fair. Is this estimate pretty accurate to the actual premiums?

I don't think I could store my books in a bank vault though, I'd never be able to see them!! Plus, I don't have an Action 1 or TEC 27. My best book is worth between 7 - 8k.

As far as values go, do you guys use GPA or book value? Also, I was thinking of insuring the more valuable comics for more than they are worth right now to allow for future appreciation. Is this a good idea or not? How easy is it to change an items insurance value once you set up a policy?

Sounds good - it looks like a stumbled on to the best option then. For a 20k collection, the estimate annual premium was only $99. I thought that was pretty fair. Is this estimate pretty accurate to the actual premiums?

I don't think I could store my books in a bank vault though, I'd never be able to see them!! Plus, I don't have an Action 1 or TEC 27. My best book is worth between 7 - 8k.

As far as values go, do you guys use GPA or book value? Also, I was thinking of insuring the more valuable comics for more than they are worth right now to allow for future appreciation. Is this a good idea or not? How easy is it to change an items insurance value once you set up a policy?

With CIA, you don't insure individual comics for any specific value, it's not like a Homeowners Policy. For $99 you are getting 20K in a blanket coverage.

If your books appreciate in value you will need to increase your coverage amount.

With CIA, you don't insure individual comics for any specific value, it's not like a Homeowners Policy. For $99 you are getting 20K in a blanket coverage.

If your books appreciate in value you will need to increase your coverage amount.

gotcha - thanks!