• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchasing a key Plod

34 posts in this topic

I had a case concerning a trimmed book. I purchased the below copy of Detective Comics 267 raw from a collector at a comic convention a few years ago. I then submitted to CGC and it came back 7.5 PLOD with top cover trimmed. As you could imagine I was none too happy about it. I have no contact info on the seller and probably could not identify him if he shows up at a future show. Anyways, last week Comiclink had another copy for sale that was an unrestored CGC 6.5. Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity to buy as this particular comic is extremely difficult to find in anything better than a VG. I will receive the new copy very soon.

The restored 7.5. Looks nice for a trimmed copy?

684517203_ad6fca2be1_o.jpg

The copy I'm awaiting:

RAD1A38D2009216_95036.jpg

thanks for all the responses. I was looking into key GA plod books, such as Cap 1, Batman 1, early AC superman covers and early Tec batman covers. I noticed CGC grades on these books are about 50/50 for early GA but only a very small fraction for key SA. I would agree to stay away

from SA restored books.

For a book like Cap 1 or Batman 1, with limited funds, PLOD might be the way to go. It also depends on what you want with the book. If you're a collector who plans to hold the book for a long time and enjoy it as a collectible, then PLOD could work for you. If you plan on investing/flipping/selling, then PLOD may be a bad idea.

Ultimately, it really comes down to a book by book decision as to whether or not you want to buy a specific PLOD.

It is a tough question to answer...PLOD's with minor resto. might be a bargain, but extensive plods may not even be real books anymore, you might as well buy a reprint.

One rule of thumb is to ask yourself what the book would look like with all the resto. removed...

I feel the business for removing restoration will be huge someday...

Do these PLOD books look unattractive? Would you rather pay $50,000 a pop and own the real thing or get these for a fraction of the price? Do you think at less than 1/10th the cost they were a waste of money? Most people cannot even find the resto...even with the book in hand. The books are 98% original.

:cloud9:

MarvelMysteryComics2CGC8_5MP-1.jpg

MarvelMysteryComics4CGC9_0Rmylite2.jpg

Those are some nice PLODs.

I still think people overreact to minor restoration on key vintage comics. I don't believe that resto removal will be big business in the future either. Other collectibles are restored regularly (artwork for sure) - I've never heard of anyone saying "please remove the restoration from my Rembrandt - put the surface grime back on the canvas please."

Oil Paintings are unique comics are not, big difference. If a major oil painting is restored you cant just wait a bit longer and find another copy unrestored. Now that I have said that, I think there will always be a market for restored keys. The problem is they will probably always be less liquid then non-restored books and prices will probably vary more.

Now if I were to buy restored keys I think I would go for the lower grade restored books. I would want to get restored keys that sell for good or below. This way you wont have as much competition with unrestored books and there are a lot of people who cant easily afford the major keys so this would be there only option.

Bruce

I feel the business for removing restoration will be huge someday...

It's already a pretty lucrative business. People have been buying up SLIGHT(P) PLODS with CT & turning them into Blue label books for quite a while now.

I have always felt weird about resto removal because you cannot totally 100% remove everything unless you cut or scrape the area that was worked on away and then it's a damaged book. It reminds me of the story Billy Parker related recently about the book where somebody drilled holes through the cover to remove several dots of amature CT.

Granted that is an extreme example, but over time I would rather see people become more acceptant of slight CT or tear seals instead of wanting to potentially damage a book removing resto just to get it in a blue label.

I can understand why they would want to from a finachial pov. I guess I just don't agree with it.