• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX question

115 posts in this topic

If you sell it on Ebay in a PGX slab, to some it will be as good as a CGC slabbed book. To some it will be considered as having the possibility of being graded by CGC even higher than PGX graded it. To some, it will have undergone at least some attempt at a restoration check.

Not a chance - PGX books never get the same price as their CGC equivalent.

If the book is valuable, I would rather buy it in a PGX slab than raw, any day. With 1/2 the books I buy on ebay having to be returned for all sorts of undisclosed problems, i'd rather have the book graded by someone that doesn't have a vested interest in the value of the book - especially in regard to the typical ebay seller - 'I don't know how to grade/I'm not a professional grader', 'I got these from my grandmom and I don't know anything about them', 'No Returns', etc... the fact that you can sometimes buy books in a PGX slab for less than many of the same books Raw is an added bonus. And my experience has been that the grading was just as accurate as CGC, or just as inaccurate depending on your point of view.

additionally I prefer the pgx holder to the cgc holder. The book is far more secure.

My 2-cents.

How the hell can a book with this type of a defect receive a 9.4 from PGX? :screwy:

100_5279.jpg

If you sell it on Ebay in a PGX slab, to some it will be as good as a CGC slabbed book. To some it will be considered as having the possibility of being graded by CGC even higher than PGX graded it. To some, it will have undergone at least some attempt at a restoration check.

Not a chance - PGX books never get the same price as their CGC equivalent.

Yep - some people stay away from PGX altogether, which reduces the buying pool, causing lower prices.

Since your book is already in a PGX holder, you might not be able to recover your additional costs of submitting to CGC just by having the book in a CGC holder (at potentially a lower grade). So again, sell it raw on the forum to avoid seller's commissions or in the PGX holder elsewhere (or raw with the PGX label as grading guidance).

If the book is valuable, I would rather buy it in a PGX slab than raw, any day. With 1/2 the books I buy on ebay having to be returned for all sorts of undisclosed problems, i'd rather have the book graded by someone that doesn't have a vested interest in the value of the book - especially in regard to the typical ebay seller - 'I don't know how to grade/I'm not a professional grader', 'I got these from my grandmom and I don't know anything about them', 'No Returns', etc... the fact that you can sometimes buy books in a PGX slab for less than many of the same books Raw is an added bonus. And my experience has been that the grading was just as accurate as CGC, or just as inaccurate depending on your point of view.

additionally I prefer the pgx holder to the cgc holder. The book is far more secure.

My 2-cents.

How the hell can a book with this type of a defect receive a 9.4 from PGX? :screwy:

100_5279.jpg

What the hell is that? A skid mark?

Is the PQ Tan to Fudge? hm

Funny that book was even submitted for grading? What was the thinking behind submitting this book for a professional grading?

Isn't it the policy with CGC, that production errors do not count against the grade? Isn't it, in the case of this particular book, most likely that the "skid mark" is a production error?

This may be a stretch, but I was wondering if any of ya'll have scans of books in PGX slabs, and scans of the SAME book in a CGC slab? For comparison.

Too many rumors and assumptions being thrown about, without some hard evidence that I can see for myself.

Yes, I know about the PGX blunders of the past. I also know about the possible pending new start up service that may be under the umbrella of the Collectors Society, that is the subject of another thread. I also know about the few (yes, few) CGC graded books that are joked about, such as the infamous Action #1, and the becoming infamous "is it trimmed, or is it not trimmed. Only it's hair dresser knows for sure" that also was the subject of another thread here.

So, anyone have any comparison scans of the same book in differenet slabs?

Don't get me wrong. I started out with PGX graded books for my first fifty or so submissions, and I have regretted it every since. Mostly though, because Heritage will not auction nor sell PGX graded books. I am thinking about the future in that regard. There are other reasons I am now a 100% CGC guy. But, fair is fair. Let's see some evidence of poor grading or wide margins of difference in grades, etc.

Here is a PGX label showing Popeye #1 being labeled as Popeye #2. Just for fun.

Photobucket

There are a lot of figments around, these days. My personal belief is that Eve committed the first sin by eating a fig. Not an apple.

I am no expert, but seems to me that there were not apples in the Garden of Eden, considering that it was most likely in Ethopia.

But. I wasn't there, so who knows for sure.

Hence, my request for something my own eyes can see here.

There are a lot of figments around, these days. My personal belief is that Eve committed the first sin by eating a fig. Not an apple.

I am no expert, but seems to me that there were not apples in the Garden of Eden, considering that it was most likely in Ethopia.

It was a banana. Eve liked the banana. :banana:

:roflmao: Yes. Be FRUITful and multiply

Yeah. Because all the hard evidence in the past was just a figment of everyone's imagination. :makepoint:

I am sure there are many people interested to see recent re-sub examples. I always am curious as to how re-subs come back, from the same company or from the other one.

Worship the banana, and tame the doughnut.