• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX question

115 posts in this topic

I also think that there was very strong evidence that the book pictured above has an unnoted married cover as well. :P

Yep, I should have mentioned there were two problems stemming from the pictures I posted.

I remember seeing a bunch of those books on eBay in both PGX and CGC slabs... a married cover is supposed to be in a green label at CGC if I recall correctly, but it was always in a blue label in the eBay listings. Both companies in their own way noted the cover was different from the interior.

Anyone have more examples of re-subs?

Ha Ha.

I can't stop laughing. It just so happens that I presently have a tree in front of me, and there ain't a forest anywhere near me right now.

Too funny.

If you refuse to see the forest, hey, that's your right.

If you want to deny that there are serious problems with PGX, it makes you look foolish, but, again, that's your right.

If you want to laugh at the good advice in this thread, that's also your right.

But don't come crying if you get bit.

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX

Silly me, I thought you preferred a "gentleman's disagreement." Guess not.

There appears to be more damage on the 9.4 IronMan #1, than on the 9.6.

For instance, bottom right corner and right edge.

Was this a case of CGC's "inferior" slabs?

:gossip: Seller doctored the photo to cover up the spine tick and damage to lower front corner.

Look really closely and you can see it.

No biggie, worth more in the CGC holder anyway. I was just happy it came back blue label.

I am assuming that the IronMan 1 PGX was after the CGC grading? Wish the CGC slab had a grading date on it. I do see how the spine problem may have been "doctored" (although it might just be a case of scanning with different DPI), but I can not see how the BRC was "doctored".

But then. I am old.

Concerning the IronMan 15. Which was the first grading? PGX or CGC?

Both were purchased in PGX slabs and then cracked out and regraded by cgc.

CGC cracked out the IM#1, I cracked out the 15.

Neither book was monkeyed with before submitting (pressed, cleaned, etc.)

I found the scan of the IM #1 I took after I received it. There is a triangle of blue I can see in the original scan when I blow it up that was added to try and cover up the spine tick.

Same goes for the right front corner.

ironman1pgx96.jpg

ironman196.jpg

Ha Ha.

I can't stop laughing. It just so happens that I presently have a tree in front of me, and there ain't a forest anywhere near me right now.

Too funny.

If you refuse to see the forest, hey, that's your right.

If you want to deny that there are serious problems with PGX, it makes you look foolish, but, again, that's your right.

If you want to laugh at the good advice in this thread, that's also your right.

But don't come crying if you get bit.

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX

Silly me, I thought you preferred a "gentleman's disagreement." Guess not.

Because I made a funny, you took it personal? Silly me for giving PGX a chance and asking for examples of their problems.

An example was provided whereupon PGX graded an IronMan 15 at 9.0 and then CGC graded the same book at 9.6.

What forest am I failing to see? The "that's my stance and I'm sticking to it no matter what" forest?

Don't take it personal dude, because you and I disagree. I was not putting you down at all. I made a funny, which happened to be in line with your comment at that moment (the funniest things are based on truth).

I have already stated that I am a CGC forever guy now. I just don't pass judgement without giving the other guy his day in court. So far, by the evidence presented in this thread, it is a tie. Yes, there is a mountain of evidence "out there" that people keep mentioning here as if I am retarded and have never heard it. But there is also a lot (not a mountain) of evidence that CGC makes mistakes also. The Action #1 that is labeled a 4.0 and is actually probably a 1.8. The OO book that the respected owner states has never been trimmed and it is labeled as a trimmed book. I could go on and on.

Bottom line is, I would take CGC over PGX all day, every day. But, I would consider buying a PGX book without too much worry. Some avoid them like the plague. But to suggest a raw book is more likely to be a better buy than a PGX slabbed book, is bad thinking, IMO. You can always crack out the PGX book and check it yourself, or submit it to CGC. What ya gonna say when you crack out the 9.0 Avengers #4 and send it to CGC and it comes back as a 9.6?

Damn, I hate PGX? Or are you going to say "Sweet. I'm going to buy some more good looking PGX books and "flip" them to CGC?"

So to summarize, a slabbed book is likely to sell for more $$$ than a raw regardless of the company?

And PGX may grade harsher than CGC except for the occasional ripped interior page?

If that's what you've gathered about CGC vs PGX so far, then you deserve every screwing you get from buying comic books. doh!

Well thanks, Dice. I pretty much don't turn down any screwings that are above a 9.2 :)

P.S. Just so you know Dice. Fedoraman was being sarcastic towards me. He was not stating that he looked at things the way he wrote them.

Just wanted to clear that up, so that you know he is on your side.

I do love these gentlemens disagreements, ever so much. Disagrements are what make life so fun. It is like "make up" se x. After a little disagreement, we could become "closer".

:) Ha Ha.

I will let ya'll win this one now, because as I said. CGC is far and away above PGX. But don't tell me that a PGX graded book is not at least as good (and actually better) than a raw book. It defies logic and sensibility.

Sure wish I would have bought that 9.0 PGX IronMan #15 off Ebay for a song. I collect IronMan. One of my favorites. I have the complete run except for #8, which got destroyed by a visiting kid. All nice.

Well thanks, Dice. I pretty much don't turn down any screwings that are above a 9.2 :)

P.S. Just so you know Dice. Fedoraman was being sarcastic towards me. He was not stating that he looked at things the way he wrote them.

I do love these gentlemens disagreements, ever so much. Disagrements are what make life so fun. It is like "make up" se x. After a little disagreement, we could become "closer".

I will let ya'll win this one now, because as I said. CGC is far and away above PGX. But don't tell me that a PGX graded book is not at least as good (and actually better) than a raw book. It defies logic and sensibility.

Sure wish I would have bought that 9.0 PGX IronMan #15 off Ebay for a song. I collect IronMan. One of my favorites. I have the complete run except for #8, which got destroyed by a visiting kid. All nice.

So - if I bought an encapsulation machine and set it up in my garage, had a web site built, and advertized at shows that I was the CKB grading service - my product would be better then a raw book?

Because this is what you get with a PGX slab - one guy in his garage with a encapsulation machine. And a buddy he appears to let use the machine every so often when he turns his back.

So - if I bought an encapsulation machine and set it up in my garage, had a web site built, and advertized at shows that I was the CKB grading service - my product would be better then a raw book?

Because this is what you get with a PGX slab - one guy in his garage with a encapsulation machine. And a buddy he appears to let use the machine every so often when he turns his back.

EUREKA_logo.jpg

Yea. An encapsulated machine equates to a comic book real well.

I guess you showed me.

How about I sell an encapsulated 1957 Chevy, or a raw one? Which one would you buy. The one that was checked out by a professional mechanic in 1993 and encapsulated in a protective cover since. Or a raw one that has been driven since 1993, and never checked out by a professional mechanic?

Should we now go into encapsulated trees and forests now.

Look fellows. I don't have a problem with you putting down PGX ever day from now on. In fact, the fewer of you that bid on PGX books I am interested in, the better I like it.

So, what's the point of your argument?

wrongontheinternet.jpg

I guess you showed me.

How about I sell an encapsulated 1957 Chevy, or a raw one? Which one would you buy. The one that was checked out by a professional mechanic in 1993 and encapsulated in a protective cover since. Or a raw one that has been driven since 1993, and never checked out by a professional mechanic?

Look fellows. I don't have a problem with you putting down PGX ever day from now on. In fact, the fewer of you that bid on PGX books I am interested in, the better I like it.

The problem is that you continue to argue that PGX, in fact, should be considered a viable alternative to CGC (in your analogy above you're referring to PGX as a "professional mechanic") when all the evidence points to PGX being an amateur-level operation, no better than any other purveyor of raw comic books, one that also seems to be involved in more than its fair share of "shady" dealings.

My opinion (based on the few PGX slabs that I've aquired) is that buying a PGX book is like buying a raw book on eBay - you might get lucky and end up with a book worth what you paid for it, but more often than not, you will be disappointed.

I guess you showed me.

The problem is that you continue to argue that PGX, in fact, should be considered a viable alternative to CGC (in your analogy above you're referring to PGX as a "professional mechanic") when all the evidence points to PGX being an amateur-level operation, no better than any other purveyor of raw comic books, one that also seems to be involved in more than its fair share of "shady" dealings.

My opinion (based on the few PGX slabs that I've aquired) is that buying a PGX book is like buying a raw book on eBay - you might get lucky and end up with a book worth what you paid for it, but more often than not, you will be disappointed.

Hmmm Jason Ewert..

It would seem that NO company is without flaws. Seriously, think about it.

I guess you showed me.

Hmmm Jason Ewert..

It would seem that NO company is without flaws. Seriously, think about it.

Apples and Oranges. Ewert snuck books past CGC. No doubt about it. But he did not have access to CGC's machinery. Review the Terence Leder thread and look at some of those trimmed Duck books. Or look at the married cover books. Or the rare 9.6 Hundred Pager that came back color touched. Or any of the other shady deals shown here and on Oldguy's site and decide whether PGX is anything other than a very shady operation.

Can you do OK on PGX books? Sure. I bought 'Troopers run of Crypt of Dawn, all PGX'd. The two books that were PGX 9.8 came back CGC SS 9.8s. But those were low risk, low return books. Why take the chance with anything worth any real bread?