• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you still buy moderns when the standard cover price becomes $3.99?

79 posts in this topic

MY LCS is talking about the possibility of only carrying Marvel and DC (and a couple of the best selling Image and Dark Horse thrown in). Every other book would have to be special order.

They have been hearing enough grumbling from their customers that they are thinking about these drastic measures. For myself, I'm certainly going to cut back. Books that were borderline before will probably be dropped if they go to $3.99. I'll also be very reluctant to pick up a new series at that price.

I've been collecting for almost 30 yrs now, and this is the 1st time I've thought about pulling back on books due to a price increase. Going up by a dollar just strikes me as excessive.

I dropped two of my 4 subscriptions thus far and once Dead of Night:WWBN ends I am dropping it then I will only have one subscription left. I will get back to my main focus of just Moon Knight series and any appearances and start using the extra money for some of the old Moon Knight appearances I need since I enjoy those books more.

When prices were $2.25 and $2.50 just a few years ago for moderns, I bought a lot of stuff off the rack. But now at $2.99, I buy much less and at $3.99, I'll probably stop buying moderns and just stick with trades.

Would you stop buying moderns if cover prices get to $3.99 for a regular sized book? At what price would you decide it's too much to pay for a modern comic?

Yes. I only buy 5 or 6 books a month, so this will have little impact on my spending habits.

When prices were $2.25 and $2.50 just a few years ago for moderns, I bought a lot of stuff off the rack. But now at $2.99, I buy much less and at $3.99, I'll probably stop buying moderns and just stick with trades.

Would you stop buying moderns if cover prices get to $3.99 for a regular sized book? At what price would you decide it's too much to pay for a modern comic?

Yes. I only buy 5 or 6 books a month, so this will have little impact on my spending habits.

And there we go... we've found the targeted demographic.

And there we go... we've found the targeted demographic.

(shrug) I'm a GA/SA collector who likes to read a few on-going series.

Ok, I broke down and got War Of Kings today at $3.99. :shy: It actually looks ok. We'll see. :wishluck:

Also, picked up Locke and Key today at $3.99. Not second guessing this one as much.

Ok, I broke down and got War Of Kings today at $3.99. :shy: It actually looks ok. We'll see. :wishluck:

Also, picked up Locke and Key today at $3.99. Not second guessing this one as much.

Locke & Key is already at $4?? I didn't know that...that sucks.

Well doubt comic companies will lower thier prices when everyone stand by idly and don't say anything to them. I made a thread in the marvel forums in which only a couple people replied. For something to be changed you need masses. So for the time being we are stuck with these new idiotic prices.

Paid $4 for the Goon #32 and did so happily. :cloud9:

I don't think it's a permanent price hike as this is an anniversary issue, but even if it were, I'd still pay it. The Goon's worth that and more.

Well doubt comic companies will lower thier prices when everyone stand by idly and don't say anything to them. I made a thread in the marvel forums in which only a couple people replied. For something to be changed you need masses. So for the time being we are stuck with these new idiotic prices.

Exactly right. If everyone stopped buying the $4 books, it would be interesting...

I already ranted a little about this in a personal discussion with both Tom Brevoort and Joe Quesada. Bottom line is, they don't care. They're getting paid.

I already ranted a little about this in a personal discussion with both Tom Brevoort and Joe Quesada. Bottom line is, they don't care. They're getting paid.

Yep why you need to make them listen by hitting them where it hurts which seems to be thier wallet.

Yep why you need to make them listen by hitting them where it hurts which seems to be thier wallet.

Already have done that, but they still won't care unless their job security is threatened and I am just one person. By the time that happens, though... shudder.

I think with everything going on with jobs being loss and such and such a hard economy right now for some that this is a slap in the face from Marvel to rasie their prices. After one more book from a certain series I will be down to only one subscription which is my Moon Knight. No more picking up the odd book.

Has it been confirmed that Marvel will be going 3.99 across the board? That would be disappointing if true, I've already dropped any 3.99 title months ago.. since most of my titles are Marvel I think that would put an end to my DCB orders and modern purchases altogether. Sorry Marvel this stuff just isn't worth 4 dollars a comic.

Hypothetical situation - say we all stopped buying new comics. Just STOPPED. What would happen? All the few remaining LCS's would dry up, Marvel & DC would have to stop printing them, and all us fans would have to find another medium to be our lives/hobbies/collection/obsession.

We end up hurting ourselves. If (and yes, I know, it's a HUGE if) new comic buyers would find the lowest-priced books and buy ONLY THOSE, might that send a better message? What scenario do you think would work best to show the comic companies that we aren't going to take $4 for this?

-slym

Best way to actually hurt Marvel & DC directly is to buy only a handful of titles per month AT BEST and not buy any of the event books or their tie ins, one shots, gimmicky variants and anything priced higher than others in their line.

It'd only work if everybody banded together to put forth such an effort, though.