• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is Greggy???? Visual aids for newbies....(Also starring: Sushi!)

64 posts in this topic

damn i want some sushi, gonna have to go to Publix...

We don't have those stores here but every time I see them I can't help but think "Pube-lix"

:shy:

ahahah

actually in Florida they are the higher end Groceries with the most hot chicks walking around. They have their own sushi counter and roll daily.

Time for lunch and loooks like a short walk to Japantown for sushi for me! BTW - the color is a little light in the image but that looks like Maguro (bluefin tuna).

I agree POV. I had three pieces last night. Hope your dinner is awesome.

Time for lunch and loooks like a short walk to Japantown for sushi for me! BTW - the color is a little light in the image but that looks like Maguro (bluefin tuna).

Just got back and thanks! Had salmon (sake), yellowtail (hamachi), white tuna (shiro maguro) and hirame (halibut in these parts although hirame can vary). Also 2 bottles of cold sake (rice wine). OK OK - these are 6 ounce bottles! So no biggie there.

I feel, when eating nigiri (the slice of fish on the ball of rice) one should never mix the wasabi (horseradish) with the shoyu (soy sauce) and plunge the rice side into the sauce. It pains me to see this done. I like to put some extra wasabi on one end of the sushi, grab it with the chosptick, then flip it over and dip the fish half without wasabi into the soy sauce. This keeps all of the flavors separate and also does not get soy on the rice, which is, in my opinion, a desecration. So we now have a 4 component piece of sushi: rice, fish, wasabi and soy. Each apart but when eating the flavors meld ina far more beautiful way than ramming the rice side into a pot of soy well mixed with wasabi. Subtle, I tell you. Subtle.

You have it "right" - it is unseemly (to say the least) to dunk the rice ball into the shoyu. Like salad dressing, their should only be a light coating on the fish, not sopped up like bread and gravy. Also about the wasabi, I never paid attention to the little lump on the plate. I figure the shokunen put any in the piece of sushi itself, and I trust he knows what the taste should be.

I learned the ways and gave it a try, so I'm not inexperienced with sushi... I just don't like it.

;)

-slym

You have it "right" - it is unseemly (to say the least) to dunk the rice ball into the shoyu. Like salad dressing, their should only be a light coating on the fish, not sopped up like bread and gravy. Also about the wasabi, I never paid attention to the little lump on the plate. I figure the shokunen put any in the piece of sushi itself, and I trust he knows what the taste should be.

I learned the ways and gave it a try, so I'm not inexperienced with sushi... I just don't like it.

;)

-slym

I confess to sometimes feeling a bit guilty about adding more wasabi (not real wasabi, incidentally. The real stuff is a root that goes for, in the Japantown market I often shop at, $99/pound.) But I enjoy it and feel ok adding a bit more (just a dab or two).

I am not a fan of the seaweed wrapped maki style. The seaweed upsets my stomach, so I ask for soy paper if it is available. But usually it is the fatty fish (salmon, the tunas etc) I enjoy. Sweet flavor and smooth texture.

What don't you like about it?

It's raw...

lol

Seriously, I like my steak rare-to-medium rare, but if it's uncooked in the middle, it's gross. I think it's the texture more than anything. Also, strongly flavoured seafood (whether sushi or not) doesn't agree with me. I can eat shrimp, but they need to be soaked in clear water (or H2O with baking soda in it) for a while before they are palatable. Red-fleshed fish is usually too strong for me, so there goes tuna, which seems to be the king of all sushi fish.

Flounder is my fish of choice... although if I ever go to Japan, I will have to try the fugu!

-slym (apologises for his part in making this thread so far off-topic)

I hear parts of the upper NW America (Washington state and the like) have had moderate success growing the plant that wasabi comes from, but the proverbial "they" say it's nothing like the real-deal from the homeland. And yes, the powdered "wasabi" most of us get is just cut horseradish with green dye added.

-slym (will shut up now about sushi) lol

I believe the appropriate term is "sushi snobs"

Article: So You Want to be a Sushi Snob?

Remove the fish from the rice and add the wasabi there? Madness! Ridiculous! And risking the chef's wrath! The good thing he says, though, is to not mix the "wasabi" with the soy!

Just got back and thanks! Had salmon (sake), yellowtail (hamachi), white tuna (shiro maguro) and hirame (halibut in these parts although hirame can vary). Also 2 bottles of cold sake (rice wine). OK OK - these are 6 ounce bottles! So no biggie there.

I feel, when eating nigiri (the slice of fish on the ball of rice) one should never mix the wasabi (horseradish) with the shoyu (soy sauce) and plunge the rice side into the sauce. It pains me to see this done. I like to put some extra wasabi on one end of the sushi, grab it with the chosptick, then flip it over and dip the fish half without wasabi into the soy sauce. This keeps all of the flavors separate and also does not get soy on the rice, which is, in my opinion, a desecration. So we now have a 4 component piece of sushi: rice, fish, wasabi and soy. Each apart but when eating the flavors meld ina far more beautiful way than ramming the rice side into a pot of soy well mixed with wasabi. Subtle, I tell you. Subtle.

When I was a sushi newb, my chef would cringe every time the rice went into the soy. The next move he taught me was the flip over, to get the soy only on the fish. When he felt i had earned it, I got the ultimate chef tip. Use the pickled ginger as a little soy sauce mop. Dip it in the soy and then dab it on the fish. You get just the perfect amount of soy flavor and a tiny hint of the ginger's sweetness. Perfection!!