• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

AnimalAntics8.jpg

I like how this cover turned out after the colorist did their work -- very effective! :applause:

Great stuff, Seadevils!

Switching over to Dell, here are three funny-animal Four Colors that I'm glad to have in any condition.

Four Color 19 -- one of my favorite covers of the run. A rousing adventure story with great artwork inside too!

FC19.jpg

Four Color 71 -- Walt Kelly artwork and supposedly one of the toughest books in the run.

FC71.jpg

Four Color 129 -- supposed to be another tough one, but Gerber gives it SI 3. (#$%^ rust and water damage)

FC129.jpg

Jack

Nice books! I never had a 71. I really like the thumper/ Dwarves book - it's very fun!

Thanks!

I didn't know that 71 was loaded with Kelly until I opened it! Confirmed in Overstreet. I don't know whether he did all the artwork, but you sure can see his hand on most pages.

Jack

Great stuff, Seadevils!

Switching over to Dell, here are three funny-animal Four Colors that I'm glad to have in any condition.

Four Color 19 -- one of my favorite covers of the run. A rousing adventure story with great artwork inside too!

FC19.jpg

Four Color 71 -- Walt Kelly artwork and supposedly one of the toughest books in the run.

FC71.jpg

Four Color 129 -- supposed to be another tough one, but Gerber gives it SI 3. (#$%^ rust and water damage)

FC129.jpg

Jack

Awesome books Jack..... I love 4-colors.... I should dig some of mine out sometime. Love the Dwarves and the Brer Rabbit...

comedy20.jpg

Very cool, CF!!!

Have you read any of the stories?

comedy20.jpg

Very cool, CF!!!

Yeah, there are some cool Nazi stories where Super Rabbit gets knocked out by this Nazi submarine crew and then wakes up and rounds them all up and takes them to jail.

I'm thinking about getting it restored.

comedy20.jpg

Very cool, CF!!!

Yeah, there are some cool Nazi stories where Super Rabbit gets knocked out by this Nazi submarine crew and then wakes up and rounds them all up and takes them to jail.

Nothing like anti-Nazi Timely stories! (thumbs u

I wouldn't bother getting it restored as it will cost you a bit of change (more than the book is worth).

comedy20.jpg

Very cool, CF!!!

Nothing like anti-Nazi Timely stories! (thumbs u

I wouldn't bother getting it restored as it will cost you a bit of change (more than the book is worth).

I know, I guess I just like the idea of a beautiful copy more than the economics of it. I gotta learn how to restore these junkers, that would be sweet.

New pickup, crossposted from the grading forum. (Andrew/AJD, I blame you for this one!....) :hi:

Ha ha - I'm happy to accept responsibility for that Jon. Lovely copy of a great comic book. Walt Kelly's letter to the readers inside the front cover is worth the price of admission by itself. One day I'll get around to transcribing it for the boards.

"What's up Doc" with an Attitude !

Bugs looking James Dean COOL.

-Hank

LT_49.jpg

Sweet book.

I don't know how I missed this thread (OK, I do--to much time in general and BA), but I'm psyched to see everyones Dells. This is not good for my collecting focus, though.

I'll start posting some GA Looney Tunes I just mentioned in the 4 Color thread tomorrow, including the 15 I just picked up. Man, I'm psyched. (And god, I'm pathetic).

Forgot yesterday was a holiday and was tied up with family stuff. And I've only found one stack so far. But here they are. I picked these up from Marc Nathan, who had these for years in his back issue box. The were passed over for almost 10 years worth of shows, and the four colors and Lulu's were apparently just as nice, but had sold years earlier. Man, I wish I was interested in those books earlier so I would have grabbed them. All of these are the childhood books of one OO, who Marc described as "an old, Italian guy" who walked into his store.

One more comment--I'm too lazy to remove them from their 10 year old mylites, which are somewhat worn. In almost all instances, any apparent scuffing along the spine and edges is on the mylite. Pretty much the only damage on these is the occasional dust shadow or ding. They are just beyond sweet.

IMG-13.jpg

IMG_0003-9.jpg

This is far and away the most spectacular of the batch--the blemishes along the spine are from the mylite. I honestly never thought I'd own a black cover book from the 1940's this nice.

IMG_0001-9.jpg

IMG_0002-8.jpg

IMG_0004-7.jpg

IMG_0005-7.jpg

IMG_0006-5.jpg

Just to be practical, I'll split this into two posts.....

Edited by silverandbronze