• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

Just in, a nice copy of Spunky #1, from 1949.

This is a terrific book bursting with artwork by the great funny animal artist Jack Bradbury. And if that weren't enough, there are some Frazetta text illo's too.

If anyone's interested, there's a cool Jack Bradbury website with lots of comics, original art and letters that provide some fascinating insight into the production background of this very Spunky book in 1948, and the comic industry in general.

Spunky #1

KGrHqVk0FD36rKHqBROSBq8e4w60_57.jpg

Edited by Arkadin

A cool early variation on the variant cover theme...

St. John Publishing took over all of the Terry-Toons titles from Timely in 1947. In 1951 they decided to change the title of the flagship book of that franchise from Terry-Toons to Paul Terry's Comics. Issue #85 was the first to switch titles. But St. John was thoughtful about the change over and decided to publish two versions of each of the first two issues of the switch. Maybe he thought that it would be easier to acclimate readers this way. Maybe it was a necessity because of subscription needs. Either way, a a result a neat anomaly...

terrytoons85.jpg

paulterry85.jpg

My pleasure Mike. Towards the end of last year I bought a huge collection of Paul Terry material. All of the St. John issues of every title, including Heckle and Jeckle, Gandy Goose, Dinky Duck, foreign Terry-Toons, movie posters, cereal premiums and boxes, and all kinds of paper collectibles. I just started scanning stuff. Here's Terry-Toons 60, the first St. John issue...

terrytoons60.jpg

Cole really was a master at every genre. (thumbs u