• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern sells for $600k

81 posts in this topic

I don't like the way his right knee looks. Looks like he twisted it and is in great pain. :eek:

Ramos+The+Green+Lantern+1962.jpg

He looks like he is getting ready to throw a discus in track & field.

I don't know...maybe he's sneaking out of one of those coyote ugly one nighters after a night in Gotham full of hazy memories...something vague...a bottle or two of Tequila...a few too many laughs...the shock of waking up next to Solomon Grundy... :gossip:

Hey, don't knock Solomon Grundy until you've given him the old college try. He's kinda sexy in that Frankenstein meets Casper the Friendly Ghost way...

I don't like the way his right knee looks. Looks like he twisted it and is in great pain. :eek:

Ramos+The+Green+Lantern+1962.jpg

He looks like he is getting ready to throw a discus in track & field.

I don't know...maybe he's sneaking out of one of those coyote ugly one nighters after a night in Gotham full of hazy memories...something vague...a bottle or two of Tequila...a few too many laughs...the shock of waking up next to Solomon Grundy... :gossip:

Hey, don't knock Solomon Grundy until you've given him the old college try. He's kinda sexy in that Frankenstein meets Casper the Friendly Ghost way...

:o

this sale and criticism is like the pot calling the kettle black. We know thats a stupid amount to pay for a stupid painting. And in the art world, a Mel Ramos piece at that number makes a lot more sense than buying some kiddie collectibles like the original comics the piece is based on. To them I imagine this image has been elevated to something of value.

to each his own.

Well I will admit that someone looking at kirby for the first time might feel the same way as we feel towards this piece... but I think what you're hearing is everyman's disgust with what passes for valuable art. Not a new phenomenom, but it never does stop being shocking when you see some of the crepe that goes for six and seven figures

The truth is mel ramos is a fantastic artist who has had 100's of art exhibitions . This piece is subpar. He paints amazing nudes aswell as advertising parodies. He did a batman painting that is similar in style but not composition to the green lantern that sold.

If the batman piece was posted everybody might speak alittle differently about mel ramos.

With all that being said anybody who spends 600K on a subpar painting that is not represenative of the artist and their work is absolutely crazy.

I don't know. That Batman is nice, but would look better on a lunchbox than a painting.

I do see the attraction to the Batman. Even the Lantern. But I'd definitely want to see a more representative piece from the artist to even be tempted to be impressed.

Being not horribly familiar with the artist, I'm probably just missing the point on these.

-Rob-

That's the thing with fine art. You can't look at an image without knowing the backstory to make any sort of informed decision. When was this done? Who else was doing this at the time? What risks did the artist take?, what was the artist saying about current culture? Is a "poorly painted" green lantern from the 60's less important to the human condition than a poorly painted Jesus from the 1500's? It's an entirely different ballgame, and much more study into the piece needs to be done before it can be dismissed.

That's the thing with fine art. You can't look at an image without knowing the backstory to make any sort of informed decision. When was this done? Who else was doing this at the time? What risks did the artist take?, what was the artist saying about current culture? Is a "poorly painted" green lantern from the 60's less important to the human condition than a poorly painted Jesus from the 1500's? It's an entirely different ballgame, and much more study into the piece needs to be done before it can be dismissed.

^^

The socio-intellectual milieu :cloud9:

Call it what you will, IMHO, high art is usualy some high artist expressing his opinion to the right audience. The rest of us just go WTF!
THANKS.................... PLEASE ENTER ME

:devil: